Cranberry Upside Down Cake

redsquirrel

Reaction score
I quit making this from scratch a few years ago. It involved a lot of beating and folding of egg whites. Way too much work! My secret now is a box of Jiffy yellow cake mix to make a round 9" cake. If you want a 9" by 13" cake, use a regular yellow cake mix.

We eat this warm or cooled. My brother-in-law likes whipped cream on his.

Shirley

CRANBERRY UPSIDE DOWN CAKE -

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 pound fresh cranberries
1 Jiffy yellow cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Butter or spray a 9" round cake pan

Over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar. Pour into bottom of cake pan.

CAREFULLY place cranberries on top of butter mixture.

Mix cake mix, water, and egg according to package directions.

SPOON batter over cranberries. You may have to push floaters back under batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.

Remove cake from oven, and run a small knife around the edge. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Invert cake onto a cake dish or serving platter, and let sit for another 5 minutes. Then remove pan.

That sounds delicious....I love cranberries, I am definetely making this for Thursday, my son loves cranberries too....!!! Thanks for the recipe....

I just love the tangy cranberries in a sweet dessert...I usually make cranberry bread for Christmas and it's sooooo good.....I also put my leftover cranberry compote (yeah, it's sauce, but doesn't compote sound cooler...???) on my leftover turkey sandwiches....and a smear of cream cheese....gosh, I'm getting really hungry.....

OH MY GOSH....!!!!! I made this for Thanksgiving and only got a little piece cause it was consumed immediately...it was like a swarm of locust or something, crumbs were flying everywhere, the table was shaking, there was a blur of hands and arms grabbing at cake, it looked like Night of the Living Dead...!!! :wink:

So, I made another one today, and I made it in a 10" pan and increased all the ingredients, using a full cake mix...It's cooling on the counter as we speak.....and I haven't told a sole I've made it until I get all I want...!!! :D

I'm glad you and your family like it, PAllison. My family ate mine before touching the apple and pumpkin pies.

When I got to Pittsburgh that Wednesday, my niece took the cake into the house before helping me with my suitcase and all of the packages. Her Dad had to watch her like a hawk 'cuz she kept trying to sneak a piece.

I'm making a 9" X 13" to take to a Christmas party next Monday. The dark red of the cranberries looks so pretty in the brown sugar glaze. That's a nice bonus on top of the scrumptious taste.

LOL, did you print this one out???

Back