Days of Our Lives - Mon., Jan. 1, 2024

JasonDíSpeech

Reaction score
Paulina's - Abe pours champagne for Paulina. Abe, who still has no memory, toasts to the future. She doesn't drink but doesn't want to talk about her symptoms that are preventing her from drinking. She talks about her hypothyroidism. She sends him home because it's too hard to have him around.

DiMansion Study - EJ and Nicole kiss as fireworks can be heard in the background (on the TV? who knows). They'll be alone for the next hour and 15 minutes (Holly has a 2 AM curfew, per Nicole) and they have to decide what to do. Later, they're upstairs in the bedroom preparing for romance.

Bistro - Replay of Alex and Jeannie T kissing as Brady sulks, and Stefan and Ava's awkward pecks.

Bistro Loading Dock - Tate finds Holly but the cops arrive before he touches the pills. The cop (whose name we'll learn is McCauley) starts to do first aid and asks what she took. She gives Holly naloxone. To prove he's as dumb as his dad, Tate hides the pills in his pocket.

Police Station - Rafe tells Harris there have been two more overdose deaths. They must find these drugs. They get the call about a 17-year-old who overdosed.

Bistro - Ava is cleaning up as Brady looks for Tate. She tells him Tate's spent the night with Holly, which does not help him. Brady gets a text from Tate asking for help at the loading dock. Later, Stefan talks to the extras and Jeannie T/Alex to announce that a young, unnamed and only-seen-from-the-back couple got engaged. This is just a setup so the sirens can interrupt him and Ava can tell him what happened to Holly Jonas. Jeannie T worries about Tate.

Bistro Loading Dock - Brady finds Tate (there's now a crowd of cops and gawkers) who tells him how he found Holly. He shows his dad the pill bag. The cop asks for them. She wants his ID. Before he can hand it over, Rafe and Harris arrive and McCauley updates them (Holly is on the way to the hospital). Harris and Rafe ask Tate about the pills. Rafe realizes the OD victim was Holly.

DiMansion, EJ/Nicole's bedroom - The recently-marrieds bask in the afterglow of marital relations. Nicole is going to wait up for Holly. Rafe calls her and reports that Holly OD'd. He tells her she's on the way to University Hospital (wow, long trip).

Bistro Loading Dock - Stefan shoos the gawkers. Harris is interrogating Ava about drug use at the party and whether or not Holly was served alcohol. Stefan steps in and they both deny any drugs have ever been at the Bistro.

Hospital Waiting Area - Brady and Tate arrive and a nurse tells them (after asking if they're family) Holly's in trauma. Tate and Brady sit down and he recaps the events of Friday’s episode and today’s teaser. Nicole arrives and asks them where Holly is. She runs to the trauma room.

Trauma Room - Tripp and a nurse are working on Holly when another nurse brings in a crash cart. Nicole arrives as Holly is flatlining. The nurse stops prepping the crash cart to shoo Nicole away.

Bistro - Ava starts cleaning up. She and Stefan discuss how upset they are to be in their drug-running position.

Trauma Hallway - Tripp tells Nicole that Holly is stable but in a coma.

Hospital Waiting Room - Jeannie T and Alex arrive. Tate is worried about Holly. Alex asks if Tate's been using. Jeannie T won't believe it for a second. She sends Alex home. He won't leave her because she needs him. She doesn't, this is a family matter. Alex leaves. Jeannie T sits down and tells Tate she's sorry about Holly. She then asks if Tate did drugs? Before he can answer, Rafe enters and tells the family that he needs to ask Tate questions and has to read a statement first. He reads him his Miranda rights. Rafe asks if they can continue this conversation? Tate says "Yes," but Tripp appears and needs to talk to Rafe. Tate and Brady express emotions.

Paulina's - Abe refuses to leave. He tells Paulina he loves her.

Bistro - Now closed up, Ava and Stefan fret some more. They need to sleep and get their stories straight. A Statesville call comes in. It can't be Gabi because she's not allowed, so it must be Clyde (try to wrap your head around that). Ava's tried to get information but can't reach Tripp.

Hospital - Brady leaves his family to eavesdrop and ask Tripp/Rafe what's going on? Tripp won't give out any information and he leaves. Rafe tells Tate it's time for the questions. He recaps what happened. The pills were Holly's. EJ arrives and denies that his stepdaughter would do drugs.

Trauma Room - Nicole sings to Holly and cries. END

Thanks Jason. After viewing this myself, I was ever so happy I didn't have to recap the circus of stupidity.

I guess we get only 5 more months of oddness and weird things until the normal writers come back and it is just boring not odd and weird boring and predictable, just predictable.

The whole reading of Miranda rights thing was weird. Rafe said it was because Tate is a minor but if all you’re doing is taking a statement why would you be saying all of the things you say to someone who is under arrest? Yes it was dumb of Tate to hide the bag of pills but he did immediately come clean. And he’s the one who found Holly. There are plenty of witnesses who could attest that Tate was trying to find her. Just a weird setup for a story. And it sounds like the only reason it’s going to become as big a deal as the weekly preview shows is because DA DiMera is playing protective stepfather.

Was impressed with the actor portraying Tate.......thought he really did a good job in this episode (Jamie Martin Mann)

Most hospitals immediately get you into a hospital gown. (And I have been in a few) so was surprising to see Holly still in her fancy dress, obviously a patient now, but hooked up to machines, etc.

Especially since she (Holly) was wired up to monitor her heart. EMS in the real world would have cut that dress off as there was no easy access.

Also, why was Tripp doing CPR on a person with a heartbeat? Shortly after he started, the monitor flattened but a strong beat was showing when he started.

Last edited:
First summary of the year. Well done, Jason!

They also need to drug test Tate. Even though his being clean doesn't change what happened, it will at least prove they were not partying together. But it might also look like he was pushing drugs on her. Holly is the only one who can say what happened, and that is not possible right now.

I just wish Tate gave the cop the bag of pills immediately, as it looks like he was hiding evidence. But I understand why he did not, as well as administering CPR. He panicked.

Hasn't Nicole been through enough? Her contract needs to include a "no-more-crying" clause.

Have been liking Nicole and EJ this time around, but right now, angry that he is declaring that his step-daughter does not do drugs (how would he know, anyway?) and going after Brady's son simply because he is Brady's son. Unfortunately, no one knows about the pot Holly wanted to give Tate the first day they met. She has, apparently, had a problem for a while.

Relieved that Abe stuck by Paulina and declared his love. Chanel can't be the only source of comfort for Paulina, and Abe does not need to be excluded.

Me thinks perhaps the writers are unaware of the way things are done whether medically, legally, or ........let's just say common sense. Thus we get these inane scenarios that don't make sense, but evidently "look good on paper"

Thanks, Jason, for doing summary today.

The female cop must be new. She seemed to know what she was doing.

Harris has really gotten stupid as a Salem cop. He believed Ava and he saw her and Stefan outside the
Bistro last week. Why would both the owner and manager be interested in deliveries?

Nice scenes with Tate and Brady.

Poor Nicole. She thinks her son died and now Holly is in a coma.

EJ spoke to soon about the new year being a better one.

EJ must have super hearing. Tate wasn't talking loud about the drugs being Holly's and EJ heard him. Now
Tate has an angry DiMera against him.

I hope EJ goes after Stefan since Stefan told him what was going on.

I viewed the ER scenes

They would not leave the dress on Holly. In a real ER situation, they would have cut the dress off of her. Yet she is still wearing it as she is in the hospital bed.

CPR was done incorrectly. Calling for crash cart, flat line. Asystole is NOT a shockable rhythm. Days needs medical consultants

Last edited:
The whole reading of Miranda rights thing was weird. Rafe said it was because Tate is a minor but if all you’re doing is taking a statement why would you be saying all of the things you say to someone who is under arrest? Yes it was dumb of Tate to hide the bag of pills but he did immediately come clean. And he’s the one who found Holly. There are plenty of witnesses who could attest that Tate was trying to find her. Just a weird setup for a story. And it sounds like the only reason it’s going to become as big a deal as the weekly preview shows is because DA DiMera is playing protective stepfather.
Completely agree ShaunP. Everything happening to poor Tate was typical Salem nonsense. Pity this poor kid. Nobody in his social circle seems capable of giving him good advice.

Was impressed with the actor portraying Tate.......thought he really did a good job in this episode (Jamie Martin Mann)

Most hospitals immediately get you into a hospital gown. (And I have been in a few) so was surprising to see Holly still in her fancy dress, obviously a patient now, but hooked up to machines, etc.
Poirot, you’re right about the young man playing Tate. Now, if they’d only bring back handsome Dimitri, another victim of the joke that is Salem’s legal system.

I viewed the ER scenes
They would not leave the dress on Holly. In a REAL ER situation, they would have cut the dress off of her. Yet she is still wearing it as she is in the hospital bed.

CPR was done incorrectly.
Calling for crash cart....flat line....Asystole is NOT a shockable rhythm
Days needs medical consultants
Of course they do, but nothing will happen. TPTB seem to prefer having doctors and lawyers who don’t seem to know what they’re doing. It’s the Salem way.

EJ is a despicable human being! I get that he treats Nicole better than Eric did, and I was not a Nicole/Eric fan because of the way he treated her. BUT, EJ's behavior is causing me to root for Eric and Nicole over EJ and Nicole. I do not want EJ to be any part of Nicole's life.

Thanks for the summary. Boy was this a show for New Years full of lots happening. Unfortunately, that included EJ's usual rash temper, Nicole's usual suffering, and Tate doing something stupid like his parents. The nonsense medical and legal things that occurred are also disappointing, but I shouldn't be surprised. I guess this is the best we can hope for regarding a new year full of allegedly-new storylines. I'm glad that Abe declared his love for Paulina, but I just wish his memory would return and Paulina can recover quickly so they can either have a better plot or fade into the background as most vets have done.

Back