Downton Abbey renewed for season 4

redsquirrel

Reaction score
This came through on my phone from the Downton Abbey site on ITV1 in the UK. The US will get season 4 in 2014. Who knows when will get the Christmas special.

Shirley

Downton Abbey will return to ITV1 in 2013 for a fourth series of the Emmy and Golden Globe award-winning drama.
Filming of eight new episodes for autumn 2013 plus an extended special episode for Christmas 2013 begins at Highclere Castle and Ealing Studios in February next year, continuing the story of the Crawley family and their servants in the early 1920s.
“Viewers can look forward to more drama, comedy, love, hatred, jealousy, rivalry, ambition, despair and romance.” Laura Mackie, Director of Drama at ITV, confirmed: “We’re thrilled to welcome back a drama series that has become a much anticipated part of all our lives every autumn and achieved success around the globe.
But first fans of the hit drama should prepare for both laughter and tears in a two-hour special to be screened on ITV1 at 9pm this Christmas Day.
“This is one episode you will want to see live with millions of others - and best have the tissues ready.” It sees Lord and Lady Grantham and family heading for a summer break in The Highlands of Scotland, leaving most of their servants back at home.
The annual visit to his Scottish cousins at Duneagle Castle, where the piper calls the tune for breakfast and dinner, is the highlight of Robert’s (Hugh Bonneville) year.
The castle is a grander step up from Downton, with deer stalking and fishing also on hand in the stunning surrounding Scottish countryside.
But while the cat's away, the mice will play and Carson will have his hands full keeping the staff behaving as one would expect...
Keep checking back for more Downton news and tune in for the Christmas special 9pm, Christmas Day on ITV1.

This is one of my favorite shows ever! Can't wait for season 3 to begin in January!

Nov 27 2012 01:45 PM ET
'Downton Abbey' creator to develop for NBC

by Lynette Rice
Tags: Television, TV Biz, News
The huge success of Downton Abbey just helped creator Julian Fellowes score a big gig at NBC. The Oscar and Emmy-winning creator/executive producer behind the behemoth hit overseas and in the U.S. has been tapped to write and produce The Gilded Age, a drama that NBC describes as an “epic tale of the princes of the American Renaissance, and the vast fortunes they made — and spent — in late 19th-century New York. ”
“This was a vivid time,” Fellowes said in a statement, “with dizzying, brilliant ascents and calamitous falls, of record-breaking ostentation and savage rivalry … a time when money was king.”
The third season of Abbey begins Jan. 6 in the U.S. He will continue on the series as he begins work on his new production deal with NBC’s sister studio Universal TV.

I am waiting, not so patiently, for the new series to start. When I heard there would be a season 4-I did the Snoopy dance in all our golden leaves !!

after reading all you all have posted about this show, I looked into buying the first 2 seasons, but just couldn't pay the $35/season (I think). I happened upon a special package of the 2 together in Target for a reasonable price, so I got it. (after seeing that there are so few eppis, I'm glad I held off until finding the package!) So, while you all get to watch in January, I have to wait until it comes out on DVD since we don't get PBS out here in the desert and my internet connection doesn't work well enough to watch anything. It would take for ever to watch an hour.

WHAT a BEAUTIFUL show! Well written, acted and the scenery!

LOL, we brought you over to the dark side, Myst. Once you start with Downton Abbey, you're hooked.

Why do I have a feeling that NBC big wigs will meddle with the new show that takes placein the US??? With my luck it will only be on cable.

I used to watch quiet a few drama series on PBS back in the 80s. when we lived in town a couple years ago, I watched LOTS of PBS - they have a few different channels here, the regular one, an arts/crafts/cooking/travel one and I think one other. I watched the arts/crafts etc. one the most. Had I known, I could have watched the first season of Downton, I think!

unless it's on "cable" I won't get to see it the "Americanized" version, I have to watch "Days" on SoapNet
will be interesting to see how they "Americanize" it.
sounds to me like the HBO series "Boardwalk Empire"

also, because of you folk here, I took up watching "Grey's Anatomy" on Lifetime. NOW they have quit showing it, for some reason after getting me hooked. and, I don't get local "regular" channels and have a poor internet connection so can't watch it that way either. hubby has looked into getting the local channels on the dish, but says we need some special "part" for the dish, I don't know
I told hubby that I would like to have some seasons on DVD - we'll see! Would like to see it from the beginning, instead of bouncing around with Lifetime like I have been (started watching while still working, so only caught it now and then)

@<Myst.......you do need another little dohickey that gets put on your roof, is wired to the rest of the your dish stuff. Direct TV supplies it, (in my case they installed it, too). The cost for local channels is about $5.00 per month, and you will get the 3 major ones, Fox, PBS, and CW if it is in your area.
The extra little thing is very small, and sometimes is attached to the dish, sometimes to a spot just a few inches away from the dish.

and the snag in that is that our subscription is through the local phone company in MICHIGAN.
not sure how it would work, if it would have to be installed on the dish at the MIL's place or what . . . . . and that would do me no good in Arizona

Back