Easy Chocolate Cake

Elusive_MC

Reaction score
I am taking a 7 week gourmet cooking class at a local vocational school. My undergrad is in vocational Home Ec. (I was a Home Ec. Teacher) and cooking is "my thing". A friend asked me to take the class with her for fun. We are having a blast. Here is one of the recipes from the last class. It turned out awesome!

You'll want to double this if you want to cook it in a 9x13 pan or make round layers...

Easy Chocolate Cake

3 Cups Cake Flour
2 Cups sugar
6 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Water
2/3 Cups Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Distilled Vinegar
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract.

Icing

1 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk (Like Eagle Brand)
4 Tablespoons Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour one 8x8 square cake pan.

Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Make a well in the center and add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until a toothpick (or wooden skewer) comes out clean. Cake should be dense and moist.

Prepare Frosting: Combine cocoa powder, sweetened condensed milk, and butter in the top half of a double boiler and cook until thick. Spread warm mixture over the top of a slightly cooled cake.

Enjoy! Try it with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream....

I am also going to try this by substituting the 2/3 cup of vegetable oil with a cup of apple sauce and see how that works out.

Don't forget, for a normal "cake pan" sized pan (9x13) you need to double the recipe!

Pure Heaven!!!

Yummy! that sounds good maybe I'll try that for my sons birthday party.

[color=000066]Sounds great Elusive_MC...!! The icing especially, anything with Eagle Brand has my vote!!!!
Your classes sound great...cooking has always been a passion of mine...I don't do much of it anymore though... [/color]

Quick Note... I went back and checked this recipe... It is also on the All Recipe Site (Now I know where our teacher gets his recipes haha) and this "should" fit a 9x13 pan as is... We made ours in a large restaurant size cake pan and it wasn't my group that put it together... so be prepared with a 9x13 pan when using this recipe as is, rather than doubling it!!

Re: Allrecipes.com
It is a great site, and they have an e-mail newsletter. That cake recipe does sound familiar. I think it may be the one I used for my child's cake this summer (doubled recipe and put it in a 14 inch round pan). There is also a good recipe for white cake that I'll have to dig out. I'm not sure who's into baking the birthday cakes from scratch, but it's another easy one. As soon as I clean my files out, I'll pass it on.

I signed up to that site and they send me emails all the time!!! good stuff!!

Back