eBay problems...?

Elissa

Reaction score
Website
www.putnamcountycemeteries.org
Have any of you had a problem with your eBay accounts today? Both my God-daughter's and my accounts have been disabled today for some strange excuse:

Attention!

We've noticed some activity on your account, and we need your help in verifying some information. We're sorry for this inconvenience, but while we're working things out with you, you'll have limited access to list new items on eBay.

Please proceed to your my eBay and follow the steps outlined in the email we sent you. Thanks for your attention to this matter!

'Hub and I have been members since 1998 with no problem, and G-D since about 2007. She is presently living with us, so the IPs are generally the same, except when one or more of us are traveling or are at work.

When we go to the accounts and try to figure out what they are talking about, they are referring to some kind a 'violation', and want all kinds of personal information about how we do business, and documentation to prove it. A call to the eBay Help desk gets you to a call center in India or Pakistan...

This has my ***SPAM ALERT*** and ***Hacked Accounts*** radars going full tilt.

In checking with my BIL in Tennessee, his account is fine, and he had just finished putting several hundred dollars worth of merchandise online yesterday.

Thank you for any input.

Wait, do you mean paypal? Paypal is requiring you to supply your social security number to prove your identity. I had to do it last month. After it is supplied, it takes about 3 business days to get full access back after supplying your ssn. If you don't feel comfortable supplying your ssn, you can still use their service which pulls money from your bank account rather than your ebay account, although it takes a few more days to make payments that way.

tthat is SPAM big time! you should never have to give your SS number on the internet to anyone.

The e-bay letter is a scam............... You should only e-mail the e-bay people on their site itself. Please don't fall for this stuff.........it is identity theft scAMS

That red highlighted message is in both an email AND the message parts of both our eBay accounts. I haven't done anything myself, except look. I was away from home most of the day where I volunteer as a docent at our local history museum--and there is no Internet access.

However, the G-D got the messages in her account, as did I when I got home. We both cannot really do anything with our accounts, and both our listings are now offline. She has several items coming due in the morning, and one 'best offer'.

Bethks, I said nothing in my original post about PayPal. But yes, both our accounts are compromised too. Please share what you know.

Thanks! :)

If you can not get into your accounts through your normal link / favorites, CALL ebay and penpal directly. DO NOT use phone numbers or websites / links provided in the email.

Poirot is correct. This scam / identity theft / phishing for ebay information has been going around since 2004. This is from Snopes.com......

"Origins: The eBay auction site has long been popular bait for phishing schemes because many Internet users have Ebay accounts, and thus this type of ruse has a good chance of reeling in some unsuspecting victims.

The eBay phishing scam reproduced above has already been around the block in the same form several times. In this latest version, clicking the link in the body of the message takes the user not to the real eBay web site, but to a counterfeit eBay "Security Update" form. Once a user fills out the phony update form (which asks for personal data such eBay user names and passwords, credit card numbers, and Social Security numbers), the information is collected by the scammers and the user is redirected to another screen which makes it appear as though he was on the real eBay site the whole time. "

i WOULD STRONGLY advise you to shut your computer down, turn it back on,launch your browser, and just type ebay.com into the url space. Thus you then log innto e-bay normally like everyone else. Do you know that e-bay now owns PayPal? Therefore they havee all the infor you have given in the past and don't need new stuff. Use your log in to conntact e-bay directly thru the legit site. And they will never ask for your password.

let me add I once got a similar e-mail about my credit card. I never even gave the company my e-mail address,mpan so was suspicious right away. I called the company via the number on the back of my credit card to ask, and no, they had not contacted me. I immediately asked that the account be closed, send me new card & number. They did, transferred my balance, etc. They asked me to forward the e-mail to their fraud division.

As far as calling e-bay yourself, if you get a foreign country, you can request to speak to someone in the U.S. and it is LAW they have to do it. They will, too.

I understand and appreciate what everyone is saying, however, when we go to our legitimate eBay and PP accounts, we get get into a 'limited' version of our accounts. We seem to be going to the correct places, except eBay wants us to update our 'World' and/or 'business accounts'. We have had neither. We are simply private individuals selling and buying some things online...

time to contact them directly, and label the mail urgent. (Your account may be hacked! Happened to my niece on Facebook). Do not give any additional info.

I had the same type thing happen to me I notified my bank not to honer any paypal transactions and since I am a not using ebay any more
IF and when I ever need to use it I will change all my passwords and my user name :rolleyes: the internet is becoming a scary place

Hi Elissa - For the EBay account, I am not certain. I have never sold anything on EBay, and I don't currently have any messages asking for action on that site, so I'm not going to be much help to you there. Check out EBay's Answer Center or try contacting them directly.

For PayPal,I received the following messaging in my account and via an email when I attempted to add funds to my account:

As of April, 2012, new Federal Regulations require Money Service Businesses, such as PayPal, to verify the identity of a customer before we can provide various services or product offerings. As a result, PayPal must ensure we have collected and verified important data such as customer name, address, date of birth, and national tax ID or social security number.
Because we were not able to fully confirm your identity based on your current account information, we need to request additional supporting documentation from you.

You will continue to have full access to your PayPal account, but until we are able to confirm your identity, we may be unable to process certain types of customer initiated requests such as adding funds to your PayPal account.

I was required to log in and work through the Resolution Center to send in additional data, including my social security number, though I believe they offered additional forms of identity you could provide as proof. I have done this in the past year for both my personal account (last month) and my school's PTO account (last year - had to send in Tax ID). It was not a scam, and my accounts have not been compromised. I checked it out thoroughly, and I recommend that you do the same. Sorry for getting everyone's hackles up, and I hope you find a quick resolution for both of your accounts.

I am assuming you checked with your bank to assure that this is true? PayPal is tied to your bank account, at least when it was first opened. But your bank or tax accountant would know for sure.
I just purchased a couple items (not thru e-bay) in June/July and used PayPal and had no problem. And have not received any requests for additional I.D.

Yes, my accounts are fine. It was only when I attempted to add money from my bank into my PayPal account that I received a notification. It did look like a scam the first time I received the notification, but it is simply PayPal requesting the additional information as best they can. They do not ask you to reply to any emails. All actions require logging into your account, and they do offer other means of making payment (echecks) if you do not wish to provide your SSN.

I meant to contact your bank or tax acct. to ascertain that there IS a new federal law requiring the SS numbers etc. for PayPal.
Remember that PayPal already has your name, address, etc. when you opened the account. And whether you buy or sell, you have to give your name, address on E=bay as well.

And, of course your accounts would be fine. Once they get the info, they don't need your account any more. They have all the info they need.
I hope all is o.k. with everyone. I just don't want anyone falling victim to these identity thieves. A friend here suddenly had $3000 on a credit card account. My daughter had $4000 on a credit card that had EXPIRED, she had not used in 6 mos. She went to use it, realized it was expired, got back home from CA, called the company who said new cards were mailed out already, but they were wondering when she was going to make a payment. (The address had been changed unbeknownst to her) She had to go thru a great deal to prove she had not made those charges, got it all squared away, did not have to pay anything, and a year ago, she discovered that the "unpaid" $4000 was still on her credit report.....And it had been years since that happened. So...just take care my friends.

Last month, the PayPal messaging that I received WAS from PayPal. I was attempting to move a larger than normal amount of money into my PayPal account - much more than I had in the past - and apparently set off PayPal's fraud alerts, which is a good thing. I had to prove who I was before I could do anything else with my account.

The email message I received from PayPal was identical to the one in my account message center, which is one of the recommended checks both PayPal and Ebay suggest to consumers. There were no misspellings in either message, which is another important check for consumers to complete.

Elissa, the EBay message you posted was very similar to the one I received last month from PayPal, which is the reason I posted a reply. However, as several other posters have commented, check the Ebay and PayPal Q&A sections for answers. Others have experienced what you are experiencing now, and it will help you get the issues resolved quickly. Good luck!

Back