ELVIS....via Austin Butler

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched a couple of rerun interviews with Austin Butler, who was guesting on a couple talk shows about the movie Elvis. He is such a quiet voiced, humble man, took nearly 3 years to prepare for the filming, as he had great respect for Elvis, and did not want to disappoint. He changed his voice, learned to sing like Elvis, played his records all day long every day, even had them playing while he slept!!!

He learned how to do the dance moves, and showed things to Jimmy Fallon, how to do stuff. He studied so much, & treasures the praise from Lisa Marie, & from Pricilla. Was all very interesting, as Austin became very knowledgeable about Elvis, was invited to Graceland, & even given Elvis's guitar to play.

I know very few here have seen the Elvis movie, am waiting for it to come on TV......but I think it finally is on CDs for purchase. Austin did a phenomenal job, and I saw the movie the day it was released to theaters, before any of the hype/interviews appeared.

Agree with you about Tom Hanks. An interview with him about a month or so ago.....he said he knew absolutely NOTHING about Col. Parker, his voice, if he had an accent, noting only that he had Elvis under his complete control, or spell......so guess Hanks played him as an opportunist, who saw the reception received by the very young Elvis, so hitched his wagon to what he perceived to be a future big star. Like with Judy Garland, Elvis was given pills to keep him awake, energetic, etc. And like Judy Garland, it proved to be overdone.

I've mentioned this book before. If you can find a copy, it's a great read. Inside Graceland: Elvis' Maid Remembers, by Nancy Rooks. She worked there from the time Elvis first married Priscilla to well after he died. She talks about the day-to-day running of the estate, plus what the various Presley family members and friends were like. She also talks about his drug use and how it sadly ended his life.

Back