Eric's a twit

I don't think Eric would have asked to be relieved of his priestly vows at all, if he had the slightest hope that he would be exonerated, but he lost every bit of a chance.

Agree to disagree, Poirot. :) Because the way I saw things (and I could be wrong, considering I often do other stuff while watching Days), Eric came to see Nicole after his retreat, would not let her talk, when she was trying to tell him about finding the evidence, told her he had an epiphany of some kind and said he chose her, chose to leave the priesthood no matter what happens in the future.

I will agree though, that Nicole is being very selfish right now, has reverted back to her old ways. I hate that ! But I will not say Eric does not share some blame in the whole situation. But that's just me. :)

Oh I have to totally disagree Poirot. Eric professed his love for Nicole when he thought they were going to die. When they survived he still had hope that they would find evidence to prove his innocence and he decided to go on retreat to sort his feelings out.

Eric went away on a retreat so he could think, pray and meditate on what future he wants to have. He was told by the monk that without evidence to clear his name he could not be reinstated as a priest but he could take on the role of monk. Eric was looking at his future as either a priest or being with Nicole. Eric wasn't even gone on his retreat for even three days he made his decision before he left the monastery. He told the monk that he was choosing to leave the priesthood to be with Nicole and was going back to formally withdraw and be released from the priesthood and it's vows. He returned to Salem and told the church. When he went to see Nicole he told her that he loves her and wants to spend his life with her regardless of whether any evidence came up. She tried to cut in and tell him about the evidence. He wouldn't let her talk. She tried to encourage him to give he decision a little more time. He again cut her off and said his mind was made up even if evidence came to light he had made his decision. Eric made it clear to Nicole that he was leaving the priesthood and was pursuing a relationship with her.

Nicole's reaction to this was wrong, selfish and born of complete insecurity. She shredded the evidence trying to secure her happiness knowing it wouldn't. She knew that if she gave up the evidence Eric would run back to the church like the devil himself was chasing him.

Yet on Friday's episode Eric calls brother Louis and leaves a message asking if there's any chance for him with the church. Nicole has been his second choice back up plan all along even though he is professing to her that she's first. That is every bit as selfish. One could argue that Nicole's actions are worse but I disagree not that I think there should be comparisons. But Eric is apparently still a suspended priest who is telling Nicole that he is choosing to live by the church's teachings so he is being chaste until they are married. He seems to be ignoring the church's teachings about honesty since he still is holding out hope of returning to the priesthood. So now we know he's not lying to himself but he is lying to Nicole. Either way he is lying and leading Nicole on.

The thing is, Eric & Nicole had relations 15 years ago, they were very young. He has mentioned it, that it was long ago. Since then, he has followed a different path in his life, and not only were his vows sacred to him, but the church teachings as well, as he has also stated. He spent a several years in the seminary, as Sami has mentioned when talking to him (she knew, but told no one) and all of it is not something that one can snap their fingers and be done with. Nicole knew, from her work with him in the church, that he was a very devout priest, who believed strongly in the church.

Just an aside, but know men who were in the seminary, but eventually decided that the priestly life was not for them, left before becoming a priest, but are very devout, and involved with the church (and yes, married, had children, got divorced....). And I know a few women who did the same in re: entering a convent to become a nun, and then deciding that life was not really what they wanted. It happens, but it does not mean the person no longer lives by the beliefs and teachings. f

SarahBeth, that "cutting off" technique the writers use drives me bonkers. Daniel has been one of the worst offenders. I wish the writers would knock it off, so I can stop yelling at the TV!

If it were as simple as Eric choosing to live by the church's teachings on being chaste before marriage that wouldn't even be an issue to me. If that were true the problem is that he is taking a pick and choose which teaching to follow approach when it comes to honesty in telling Nicole she is his future and pursuing a relationship with her while behind her back is calling brother Louis asking if there's any hope for a return to the priesthood. He is doing something that will ultimately hurt Nicole and he knows it or he would be totally honest with her. He is no better than she is even though he thinks he is.

The worst thing is that Nicole is very conflicted and understands how wrong her actions are but Eric shows no understanding of how wrong he is for stringing Nicole along while holding out hope for the priesthood. His call to brother Louis only cements my thoughts that Eric is using the chastity before marriage teaching to keep himself sexually pure (for lack of the appropriate term) so he can still be a priest if the church chooses to reinstate him.

SarahBeth, that "cutting off" technique the writers use drives me bonkers. Daniel has been one of the worst offenders. I wish the writers would knock it off, so I can stop yelling at the TV!

:clap::clap::clap::clap: And the follow up to the "cut off" technique is the blaming the one they cut off for not telling the truth and remaining a "Saint" in all the Salemites eyes. BARF!!!!!!!

SaraBeth......Eric called Father Louis, who has been assigned to St. Luke's, to assist Father Matt while Father Eric is relieved of his priestly duties.
Oh, I think Father Eric is very conflicted, and fully realizes how his actions appear to Nicole. And I think he now realizes that he himself is unsure of his rash decision. Personally, his talks with the monk made no sense to me, but that monk DID give Eric things to think about.
I think, at times, many of us make that "rash decison". We decide to buy that new food, get home and ask "why in heaven's name did I buy that". Or the shoes, or new outfit, and we get home, and shake out heads over the dumb decision. And we agree to a date with someone, and cannot believe when out on it, that we even considered it, promising ourselves..."never again".

I am ticked at Nicole for destroying the records that could clear Eric. THAT is NOT love. That is desperation. She should not push him to have sex with her. He has been through a lot of trauma from Kristen's drugging and raping him. He needs time and she doesn't need to push him. I admire a man who wants to wait until marriage. HE is a RARE man. I hope he doesn't have sex with her before the truth comes out.

I'm with you AlabamaRN. Nicole has based her relationship with Eric on lies, trickery (trying to seduce him), and withholding information. That definitely is not love. Nicole is so afraid of being without a man that she doesn't care how much it will hurt him when he finds out. It wasn't that long ago that she was trying to start a new relationship with Daniel.

I hated how Nicole left Eric years ago. Now I'm not sure how to feel about them. She is being dishonest.

I am with so many of you on this storyline. I was rooting for Eric and Nicole and now I totally don't want them together. Eric should go back to the priesthood and Nicole has manipulated not just Eric but so many other people at this point that I know longer root for her happy ending.

I agree KathyLu she is setting herself up again. Her own fault lol unless you want to blame Kristen for getting the ball rolling again :)

At this point, both of them are twits. Eric for leading her on about marriage, and Nicole for shredding the evidence that would have cleared Eric's name. I can no longer root for them as a couple, and I really liked them together until the last couple of weeks. I don't even like them individually at this point.

Back