Finally!!!

SarahBeth

Reaction score
I am so glad that tptb are finally giving more insight to Theresa. Her mother wasn't just controlling with boys and teen things. She started on her as a pre-teen by squashing Theresa's dreams of being a designer as well saying they weren't important and tried to push what she/Kim wanted her to dream to be. Theresa said she was 12 when that was happening. What 12 year old dreams of helping in a women's center? I'd say that would be rare.

In fact, I was disappointed in Maggie for not really listening at first when Theresa told her how Kim belittled her dreams. I am glad that Maggie finally listened. I'm betting that Maggie is going to have a talk with Brady or she will decide to invest and then the fight will be on.

Maggie has heard all the lies, been through the drug and alcohol stuff with Theresa, lived through her ditching the AA meetings, the excuses, and all the rest. I do not blame her one bit for being wary of what Theresa was spouting now.
\
When Theresa got into her teens and gave up the idea of fashion design, she chose a very dark path to follow. O.K. She finally got her second chance, and was sent to Salem, told to get a job. She could've tried then at Basic Black, or Countess W, or Mad World. Nope, she chose the hospital, where she could try to steal money, took up with various low lifes, continued her drug & alcohol use. I don't feel sorry for her one bit. She has a lot of moxie, though, wanting to buy a giant corporation, with no money, no experience, nothing. So, she figures OTHERS in the company will do the work?
Nope, I don't buy any of it, and I am glad Maggie is being cautious. O.K. So Jeanie's mom tried to concentrate on helping other. There is nothing wrong with doing so. In fact, that is what Theresa is now looking for, isn't she. Someone to help her. In fact, lots of folks to help her.

It is like people who love to cook, so figure they will buy or open a restaurant. Sure they can cook, and do it well. But they have NO idea about all the other aspects of owning a restaurant. Decor, atmosphere, location, space, tables (how many) hired help, supplies, bookwork, prep time, storage, spoilage, pre-cooking, and the list goes on. Same goes for running a business like Basic Black. Theresa doesn't have to own it. She could work as a designer perhaps. She really has NO idea how to really make a success of that business.

I really can't stand Theresa; but I like the fact that the writers are addressing possible causes of why she is like she is. Shane was gone a lot working for the ISA, and Kim has a pretty colorful past, in addition to mental health issues. Too many times they just throw a character in there without giving a history as to their possible motives, etc. and I have a feeling that they'll be doing some interesting things with Theresa's story. Not only that, I think Jen Lilley (Theresa) does a great job, so it would be nice to have her stick around.

But we are now getting details. And growing up having your dreams belittled till you no longer dream is sad. And yes Maggie has seen and heard it all from Theresa, almost. Theresa finally opened up to Maggie and Maggie just wasn't the Maggie we know up until she realized that Theresa was sincere and she only realized it when she saw that Theresa was upset over being treated like she might as well give it up because she couldn't possibly succeed. I do expect more from Maggie, she is the one who took both Melanie and Chloe under her wing.

And not to nit pick but Theresa had to work at the hospital as a condition of her plea agreement. She didn't have the option to work elsewhere. She hated it. Now that she is seeing an opportunity she is allowed to pursue she's taking a chance to do something she is interested in.

She lost the job Kayla & Roman had gotten for her (she only had to have a job, they arranged it for her) because of attempted to steal $2000, she lucked out that charges were not pressed. THAT is when she could have sought employment elsewhere, instead of taking the easy road via Anne, who only offered it as she hated Jen.

How did/does Maggie not know if Theresa is lying right now. Making it all up to have Maggie feel sorry for poor Theresa. Heck, she's pulled that poor me act on Brady countless times, and both Brady & Maggie know it. Obviously Theresa does have a talent, and if this can put Theresa's focus elsewhere, fine. She STILL does not and should not own Basic Black. That is ridiculous.

If the new writers wanted to overhaul the character of Theresa, she could have Kimberly's mental problems and suffer from multiple personalities. Theresa could be the scheming, drugging, drinking tart we've seen since she came to Salem. And Jeannie could be a sweet and normal individual.

She lost the job Kayla & Roman had gotten for her (she only had to have a job, they arranged it for her) because of attempted to steal $2000, she lucked out that charges were not pressed. THAT is when she could have sought employment elsewhere, instead of taking the easy road via Anne, who only offered it as she hated Jen.

How did/does Maggie not know if Theresa is lying right now. Making it all up to have Maggie feel sorry for poor Theresa. Heck, she's pulled that poor me act on Brady countless times, and both Brady & Maggie know it. Obviously Theresa does have a talent, and if this can put Theresa's focus elsewhere, fine. She STILL does not and should not own Basic Black. That is ridiculous.

It was said several times that a job at the hospital was a requirement of her probation. Having Anne put her in a different department kept her at the hospital thus staying within the probation parameters. Sure Anne did it to save Theresa's bacon, and cheese off Jenn. That was a bonus for Theresa. Her probation didn't end until after they found Tate, and Kimberly came to try and drag Theresa and the baby out to CA saying Shane got her probation to end like a month early so she could.

When it comes to Maggie, like I said, at the end of the conversation when Theresa got upset it was clear she was sincere. She didn't take a verbal stab out of anger to hide feeling hurt. She showed she was hurt and Maggie saw it.

If the old writing regime was still writing this story then yes I would agree that Theresa is lying again just to gain sympathy from Maggie. We have to realize that the single note Theresa was created by Tomlin/Whitesell. We did not see Theresa's dreams before because they chose (or were too lazy) to give her any reason why she was the way she was. The new writers are trying to change the focus and give Theresa the back story she needs to become a full fledged character on the show.

I also read in other threads that people feel the new writers are throwing Kimberly under the bus with this story. I love Kimberly, and she was a single mom who was misguided into thinking she knew best for Theresa. I actually saw a parallel with Kayla and Joey. Kayla wants Joey in private, boarding school, he is making it loud and clear he wants to go to public school. Theresa may not have pushed Kimberly with her wants when she got older. I do feel however, that Theresa either got into a wrong crowd or something traumatic happened to her that turned her to drugs and drinking. We still need more of the story preferably with Kimberly on screen, but they have made a beginning.

I LOVED the Maggie Theresa scenes. That someone listened (finally) to Jeannie T. I am glad we know now what happened. That Kimberly wasn't attentive to her or supportive of her dream. Anyone thinking that Andrew is the "golden child" while Jeannie was not to Kimberly and Shane? Eve may have gotten more attention lol...look how that turned out kidding ..sort of. I wonder what profession Andrew is in?

Theresa has been a train wreck to me, terrible, but gets my attention. That said, I find her sense of entitlement overwhelming and beyond irritating!

I have been waiting for more explanation from Theresa about her upbringing to explain why she has been acting the way she has and now we're getting it. It's so refreshing to see a character-driven story. Yes, I know Theresa has been one-note for quite some time and this may seem like a sudden change but that's because it is. New writers are in town and the character of Theresa is about to be saved. At least I hope so. I don't think I want her to suddenly be able to take over Basic Black but to be hired as their new designer I would be fine with that. I'm just so glad it seems like the new writers are taking her in a completely different direction. I mean, good grief, this girl has been a walking disaster forever so I'm willing to take whatever crumbs I can get as I really like Jen Lilley (Theresa).

Being a mother and a grandmother, I have never ever squelched the dreams of my daughter or grandson. I can see why Theresa turned out the way she did. I hope she gets a chance to shine.

Back