Getting a raise. The good, the bad and the ugly

SarahBeth

Reaction score
So I had my yearly review and am getting my yearly raise. Yay! For a part timer, 50 cents an hour is really good. However, the company has raised the starting wage so after three years with the company, I'm only making 30 cents more an hour than new hires. Every year they tell me how I am a great candidate for department head and then management.

However, I don't have the availability to work full time because we have an intellectually disabled adult child and being there for her is much more important. Also, my son is going to start a family soon and I'll be helping a lot. His wife is graduating from grad school in May and he is starting a new job that will be great for his career in a couple of months.

And on to the ugly. My husband has been with a new company for 2 1/2 years now and no raise at all. The thing is, it's a group from his previous company that formed a new one because the company they were with dropped the division and then contracted with them. So this is the same group of people he's worked with for over 10 years. New CFO has a different vision and is, for lack of a better term, being cheap. They just ordered his new vehicle which we call the ice cream truck.

My husband really does deserve better. He's lost out on two promotions with the past company because they decided to not open one after all (this was a management position which would have been really good for his career) and the second, because they decided to promote in a division out of the country because it was cheaper.

I think that if something doesn't happen in the next 6 months for him, it is time to look for something new.

Blessings to you and your husband for making your daughter's care a priority. Hoping for improved situations for your lovely family. Hugs.

Sarah Beth, I know your pain. I've been with the same company since 2001. For the past 3 years I have not had a raise. No cost of living increase, nothing, nada. This past week was the company bonus week. My bonus was mind-blowing $20.93. A coworker received enough to re-carpet his house. I need to stick it out just 18 more months. Or 6 months at the shortest.

Robin - hopes for you to receive a promotion or a raise this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
SarahBeth, I hope you get some good news in your life soon.

Well my husband's company decided not to give anyone in his division a raise this year. So for him that's 2 1/2 years and no raise. Oh the bad words I can't use here. Gaaaaaaah!

GRRRRRRR.:eek::angry:

So very sorry SarahBeth. Maybe another opening at a different company will be available soon? Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. :sad::angry:

Just found out that his area boss got a promotion and a raise. Now his boss does deserve a raise so I don't begrudge that at all. He is still a part of his division so the higher ups were full of it when they said nobody got a raise.

Sadly, SarahBeth, that is often true in both corporate and government America. They stretch the dollars to keep the 'talent' higher up and just hope for enough profit to benefit the rank and file.

Back