How do I know when it is ok to quote someone or it is inappropriate?

There are probably some posters who don't know they can quote the whole post and then delete everything except the part their post addresses.

I'm with the others on skipping posts with long quotes. This is not entirely on topic, but I also don't read extra long posts...the ones that put War and Peace to shame. :)

Especially when quoting a post with a picture or video there is unnecessary space taken up, from both a member's and server's space standpoint.

Using that delete or backspace key is very helpful with getting rid of the code for the media or any unnecessary text. All you need is the first bracket set [quote = " "] then the text you are quoting/replying to, and then the end coding brackets [/quote]

i just gotta say...only cause it irks me....

never ever ever, NEVER quote the original post/ the first post in the thread. we already know you are replying to them. you are in their thread. we do not need to re-read the original post.

I've seen that happen a lot here lately...

In regards to long posts: I don't mind them at all. I'll read them unless they are just constantly repeating the same thing..i'm guilty of skimming some of it, but it doesn't bother me that much. some people just have a lot to say...and quite frankly, sometimes I'm guilty of writing a long post. lol.

That's true about the original post, but I have quoted it before, when the thread is way off topic, or never was since the original post, and I want to reply to the original post. If not quoted then, my post would look as if it is replying to the post(s) above.

The main problem is when someone is reading the thread on their phone. On the computer, you can see most of the post at one time, and usually posts directly before and after a post. On a phone, you only see a few lines at a time (you have to make the font big enough to read). By the time you get to the end of a looooooong post, you forget what the dang thread was about or what other people said. It is a lot of work to go constantly scroll up and down in a post or thread and back and forth on the site.

I truly sympathize....honest I do. Thus I would not use a phone for the internet. But, that is just me. I know many do, including Wayne! Heck, I would never get thru all the threads/posts, etc. And certainly never be able to do a summary.

Back