NCIS

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I watch this without fail on Tuesday evenings, and the episodes have been dealing with the absence of Ziva (the actress decided to quit), but last night had an absolutely wonderful episode with Gibbs trying to drive his dad home, but dad is insisting on going to see his dying friend, Walter. Thruout the show Dad has various flashbacks of when he was in the Air Force, flying in WW2, and how he was headed in the wrong direction and another pilot (Walter)flew up along side, and helped him get going the right way. That dad was played by Ralph Waite, who plays our Father Matt on Days, and he brought tears to your eyes. He so wanted his son to meet Walter, but Gibbs was anxious to get back to his case.
It was such a moving episode, with Gibbs trying to deal with his crochety and forgetful elderly father, and the father trying to tell his son what Walter meant to him. They learn Walter was taken to the hospital, but there are no records. Gibbs gets his crew to search, they come up empty, he tells his dad there was no Walter in his squadron. Of course not, why would you look there, and we see him flash back again, and see the tail of Walter's plane with the swastika emblazoned on it. It was so moving, and finally, they locate Walter in hospice, and the two old men....I tell you it still makes me tear up, remembering it.
I am only writing this, because Ralph Waite doesn't get much chance on Days to show emotion, but wow, when this episode is rerun....I do hope those of you who have not seen it, will watch. Give the man an Emmy. Wonderful story. Fantastic acting.

I enjoyed the episode last night... Ducky's discussion about aging parents and how to deal with them was something I needed to hear. I'm helping my dad and stepmother move from a house into a much much smaller condo.... my stepmother is resigned to the fact she can't take everything my father doesn't/won't part with ANYTHING... it's been difficult to say the least....

The episode should be on the CBS website if not today then in the next couple days for those who can watch online.

I watch this without fail on Tuesday evenings, and the episodes have been dealing with the absence of Ziva (the actress decided to quit), but last night had an absolutely wonderful episode with Gibbs trying to drive his dad home, but dad is insisting on going to see his dying friend, Walter. Thruout the show Dad has various flashbacks of when he was in the Air Force, flying in WW2, and how he was headed in the wrong direction and another pilot (Walter)flew up along side, and helped him get going the right way. That dad was played by Ralph Waite, who plays our Father Matt on Days, and he brought tears to your eyes. He so wanted his son to meet Walter, but Gibbs was anxious to get back to his case.
It was such a moving episode, with Gibbs trying to deal with his crochety and forgetful elderly father, and the father trying to tell his son what Walter meant to him. They learn Walter was taken to the hospital, but there are no records. Gibbs gets his crew to search, they come up empty, he tells his dad there was no Walter in his squadron. Of course not, why would you look there, and we see him flash back again, and see the tail of Walter's plane with the swastika emblazoned on it. It was so moving, and finally, they locate Walter in hospice, and the two old men....I tell you it still makes me tear up, remembering it.
I am only writing this, because Ralph Waite doesn't get much chance on Days to show emotion, but wow, when this episode is rerun....I do hope those of you who have not seen it, will watch. Give the man an Emmy. Wonderful story. Fantastic acting.

i agree. I think I gasped when they showed Walter's plane. Ralph Waite is a good actor.

I enjoyed the episode last night... Ducky's discussion about aging parents and how to deal with them was something I needed to hear. I'm helping my dad and stepmother move from a house into a much much smaller condo.... my stepmother is resigned to the fact she can't take everything my father doesn't/won't part with ANYTHING... it's been difficult to say the least....

I'm 80 in a few days. I would love to be in a more convenient, smaller home, but I can't imagine the move and parting with all my "Stuff"!

gramcracker... I have lots of "stuff" but if I had to move while I'd hate to get rid of most of it... he's not parting with the little stuff... I am trying to be respectful but wanting to move 300 feet of old glass Christmas lights that he has NEVER used in his current location.... they went with the Southwestern theme stuff.. which they are moving and I didn't fight that..... even though the condo doesn't have a place for the luminaries as they have to be put into the ground... I understand their attachment.... or the 75 vhs tapes that have been stored in their garage for the past 12 years.... and the fact they don't have a vhs player.... that was a fun discussion.... even after I said I'd purchase all the movies in DVD format for him... he wouldn't let them go.... he can't watch them without a player and they've been in the Phoenix heat for 12 years so doubtful they'd play.... but they are in the storage unit for now....

I will take a breath walk away... breath and return this next weekend when I return for more fun Packing with Dad.....

Sounds like a good title for a book....Fun Packing With Dad! (not making light, I am with Gramcracker about "stuff". A few years back, I started to "clear out" some things, and my kids got upset, figuring I was thinking I was going to die or something.

But I will tell you, it is very difficult after a parent is gone, because you see all these things that meant something to them, but it doesn't to you, but you keep it because of that. And eventually you have to give to Goodwill, the trash, relatives, neighbors, friends, etc.

Just like Gibbs, who asked his dad to come stay with him. He has a big house, too big for one person. But his very aging dad said thanks, but no thanks. He wants to stay in his own place, and I bet......with his "stuff". :)

It was a great episode. A lot of stuff going on.

I loved the part when we found out Walter was German. He saved
another life instead of killing someone. War is bad.

The stuff with Gibb's dad was good too. Stuff to think about
when children have older parents.

I don't miss Ziva. Is there any reason to add another character?

Happy early Birthday gramcracker. I understand about getting rid
of stuff. I had to get a smaller house when I moved. Lots of stuff
I had to get rid of, but you can do it.

gramcracker... I have lots of "stuff" but if I had to move while I'd hate to get rid of most of it... he's not parting with the little stuff... I am trying to be respectful but wanting to move 300 feet of old glass Christmas lights that he has NEVER used in his current location.... they went with the Southwestern theme stuff.. which they are moving and I didn't fight that..... even though the condo doesn't have a place for the luminaries as they have to be put into the ground... I understand their attachment.... or the 75 vhs tapes that have been stored in their garage for the past 12 years.... and the fact they don't have a vhs player.... that was a fun discussion.... even after I said I'd purchase all the movies in DVD format for him... he wouldn't let them go.... he can't watch them without a player and they've been in the Phoenix heat for 12 years so doubtful they'd play.... but they are in the storage unit for now....

I will take a breath walk away... breath and return this next weekend when I return for more fun Packing with Dad.....

I can empathize with you on that sort of thing. I have lots of junk, I'd gladly part with, but also many knickknacks that are dear to me---3 china cabinets full!! I also, have over 100 Days tapes I haven't looked at in ages!

It was a great episode. A lot of stuff going on.

I loved the part when we found out Walter was German. He saved
another life instead of killing someone. War is bad.

The stuff with Gibb's dad was good too. Stuff to think about
when children have older parents.

I don't miss Ziva. Is there any reason to add another character?

Happy early Birthday gramcracker. I understand about getting rid
of stuff. I had to get a smaller house when I moved. Lots of stuff
I had to get rid of, but you can do it.

Thank you for the Happy Birthday.

Move completed yesterday.... just a few things in the house that will be gone by this weekend..... Dad actually sat in his chair in the new living room and said wow this works, I didn't think it would look this good....... I had all of his paintings hung, food put away in the fridge, dishes in the cabinets.....toiletries in the bathroom.... so for him it did work out well... Phone service turned off at the house, on at the condo today, cable and internet turned off at the house, on at the condo today too...
Tough couple of months... but it worked out well.... thanks for all your words of encouragement....

Back