Old Bay* Chicken + Old Bay* Chicken Soup

nansky

Reaction score
[size=small][color=330000]This makes the Chicken's skin very crisp, and the meat very savory ... Use a whole Chicken, or Chicken parts.

YOU'LL NEED:

1 whole Chicken; or 4 breasts; or 4 legs; or 4 drumsticks; or 4 thighs; or 12 wings; or a whole bunch of drumettes;

1 Tbsp Old Bay* Seasoning;

1 Tbsp Olive Oil;

1 tsp Ginger;

1 Tbsp Salt (I like finely ground sea salt, but that's just me);

1/4 tsp Garlic Powder, or 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic;

1 lemon

A Baking Pan (ordinary cake pans work fine).

TURN THE OVEN ON TO 350-375 degrees.

Put the chicken into the cake pan.
If you're using a whole chicken, take out the innards (anything you can easily lift out of the cavity with your hands). If you're using parts, just arrange them in the pan.

Cut the lemon into quarters.
Into a small dish (about a cup-size), squeeze the juice out of each quarter.
Put the squeezed-out lemon quarters into the chicken's cavity, or arrange the quarters among the chicken parts in the pan.

Put the rest of the ingredients into the small dish with the lemon juice.
Mix 'em all up.

Brush the mixture all over the chicken, using it all. If any is left over, just pour it into the pan with the chicken

Bake 45 minutes for pieces, or 1 hour for the whole chicken.

Serve hot out of the oven.

SAVE THE BONES AND EVERYTHING LEFT IN THE PAN IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THE SOUP BELOW.

==================================================
Old Bay* Chicken Soup

YOU'LL NEED:

Everything left of the chicken, including (especially) the bones (Don't worry about bacteria; they're going to be very well-boiled);

1 quart of Water;

1 can of Fat-free Refried Beans (to thicken the soup--optional);

Any vegetables you have around--left-overs, canned, frozen, even salad greens or leftover salad. Cut up carrot/celery sticks;

Any seasonings you like with chicken--Dill (seed and/or weed), rosemary, basil, celery seed, etc.;

A big-ol' pot to boil soup in.

2 1/2 Hours.

Put the bones, drippings, and lemon pieces (if they're still left) into the pot.

Add 4 cups of Water.

Put the pot on and turn the heat up to High.

Bring to a boil.

Turn heat down to Low-Medium.

Let simmer 1 Hour.

Add all other ingredients--vegetables, refried beans, and seasonings.

Turn up the heat to High, bring to boil, then turn heat to low-medium.

Simmer 1 more hour (... or more; only don't let the soup boil dry).

Serve with bland, bready treats, like saltines, biscuits, corn chips, toast, etc.

[/color][/size]
[size=x-small]*Old Bay is a trademark of McCormick & Co. Spice.[/size]

:yum: :yum: :yum: Now thats what i'm talking about!!!! Here in Baltimore we put old Bay on everything. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try this one. :yum:

Wow, never heard of old Bay......will have to look for it.

I love Crispy skin chicken, and that sounds really good......but for soup....I think I will stick to mine, with noodles. LOLOL

I don't know if this helps you poirot but Old Bay is the seasioning used on crabs when they are steamed. :yum: :yum:

That figures.......I have never eaten crabs....lolol.

You should try them, they are really good!!!!!! the only thing I don't like is getting to the meat. They can be a pain to get into, but once you do it is heaven!! :yum:

Poirot, they also use old bay on steamed shrimp. Maybe you have had it that way.

Back