PBS - new show...Last Tango in Halifax

After tonight's season one finale of LAST TANGO IN HALIFAX, I researched to find out if there would be a season two. YES! (I hope the image of the cast displays.)
Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid Return To Last Tango in Halifax

July 4, 2013 by OntheBox

Filming has started for the second series of award-winning BBC One drama Last Tango in Halifax. Derek Jacobi (Vicious, The Borgias) and Anne Reid (Upstairs Downstairs, Marchlands) are reprising the roles of love struck septuagenarians Alan and Celia, who rediscover their love for each other later in life, 60 years after they first met.

The first series, which aired on BBC One last year, won the coveted Best Drama Series award at this year’s BAFTAs with writer Sally Wainwright (Scott & Bailey, Unforgiven) also named best writer at the BAFTA Craft Awards. The series was the BBC’s highest rating new mid-week drama of 2012, regularly attracting more than seven million viewers with its captivating mix of effervescent humour and moving drama.

The second series, currently filming in various locations around the north of England, picks up the dramatic storyline that had viewers on the edge of their seats last year. With Alan (Jacobi) having suffered a serious heart attack and the couples’ nuptials hanging in the balance, viewers were left wondering whether Celia (Reid) will once again lose the love of her life.

Meanwhile, Celia’s successful and uncompromising daughter Caroline (Lancashire) is forced to face up to her newly discovered sexuality, the demands of her girlfriend Kate (Sosanya), her mother’s prejudice and a failed marriage. While Alan’s daughter Gillian (Walker), both independent and insecure, finds herself in a surprising love triangle having cheated on her partner Robbie (Andrews) with Caroline’s hapless husband John (Gardner).

I’m sad that this is the last show for the season….It made me laugh and cry….Caroline needed her mouth washed out with soap. But I was glad to see Celia saw the error of her way. Alan is such a kind hearted person he sees the best in everyone! I hope Alan and Celia will get there happily ever after.

[ I totally agree, lovin_safe. When Celia saw the image of Alan, I had a feeling he had died, and that it was his ghost, but that he did survive after all. When it was reported there was damage, I thought Alan might have had some brain damage or memory loss, but it looks like he is going to be okay. I was angry at Celia for her attitude towards Caroline and Kate and relieved when she came around. Since this show was aired in America a year after it ran in the UK, we might have to wait until season 2 airs in the UK before we get to see it, but I hope this is not the case. I will miss seeing this show next Sunday, it became a very good habit indeed. :)

Absolutely LOVED this episode. Talk about stirring emotions, it had all of them. Anger, resentment, love, sacrifice, bewilderment, sorrow, hope, happiness, love and laughter. Wow. Glad to hear there will be another season.

*****************************************************************************************
:OT: just a bit
P.S. I watched The Paradise right after, good show! and could have sworn that Miss Audrey was played by the same actress who played Caroline in Last Tango.
And then, a surprise. As Downtown Abbey, Season 2 came on. Did not realize it was for 2 hrs. The war has started, and the men at Downton are either called up or volunteer, but there are those who are so frightened, they manage to wiggle out. And Bates' wife shows up to blackmail him into going back with her. And then, I wondered if Mrs. Crawley is being played by the same actress who played Celia in Last Tango. Am going to have to look it up.

Poirot - I looked this up for you. Sarah Lancashire, who plays Caroline on Halifax, is indeed the actress who plays Miss Audrey on The Paradise. However, Anne Reid, who plays Celia on Halifax, is not the same actress playing Mrs. Crawley on Downton Abbey. I am not familiar with Downton and noted several characters with the last name of Crawley. I THINK the actress you are referring to is the great Penelope Wilton, who portrays Isobel Crawley? Here is a link to the cast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downton_abbey#Main_cast

just watched this lovely series last night, bought the DVD on the recommendations here. Another gem! can't wait for season 2 to to come out on DVD to find out what happens to everyone!
lots of drama in those families! and the WOW coincidence of the 2 daughters having the same birth day! "We're TWINS!" I liked that they put aside their first impressions and seemed to be actually liking each other. I'm sure Caroline's estranged will throw a monkey wrench into that at an inappropriate time.

Welcome to "Club Halifax" MystFaerie! I will be on the lookout for news about the the second season and post same.

The Brits know how to do it right!

Back