Peacock and Paramount talks to merge

katmouse

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would seem that the rush for so many to get into streaming isn't turning out as well as expected, thus, the talks of merging. Paramount has talked to at least 3 companies, maybe more, and those companies have been talking to others. With the programming split between so many different companies.......the costs mount, and customers back away, unable to afford 5 or 6 charges per month, just because the shows they want to watch are spread over so many different outfits, each one costing. So, they decide on one or two, are not happy, and neither are the companies who lose viewers.

No different that having cable, except you only pay one price...instead of 1/2 dozen different ones. They should all go back to regular TV.

And frankly, I can only watch streaming on my computer, so........I definitely prefer regular broadcast TV ........on my television set.

Right now, on my cable provider, Paramount has teamed with Showtime to get a free Showtime preview this weekend. I subscribed to Paramount+ so that I could see the new Criminal Minds. But, it never works on my TV set - it is always freezing, so I have to watch it on my laptop, which I hate. Does it seem to be Paramount that is floundering or Peacock?

They all are........None of the ones that stream are making profit, thus the merge talks. They seem to feel no profit will appear until 2025, or later.......that is a long time to wait for a payoff.

I hate streaming. My son said I could get it on my TV......however, you have to change something on the TV........which I won't do..... (just to watch Days???).and use a different remote, but perhaps that is what causes the freezing for you Lisa???

I hate streaming. My son said I could get it on my TV......however, you have to change something on the TV........which I won't do..... (just to watch Days???).and use a different remote, ?

Poirot, you should have your son set it up anyway to see how you like it. I have four remotes and it would be easy to label the remotes.

FYI, since you only watch one show on Peacock, you can share your Peacock info if one of your children want to use it. As of now, Peacock doesn't restrict sharing their login info.

Poirot, I loathe the idea of multiple remotes as well and my husband set up an entire surround sound system. We switched from DirecTv to YouTubeTV this past summer (because YouTubeTV is only the provider for NFL Sunday Ticket) and I love it. So now all of my TV runs through my Amazon FireTV stick and that little remote controls everything, the Firetv stick, all of my streaming apps and the surround sound pairs with it better than our old universal remote. It was also a heck of lot cheaper than everything DirecTv was charging me for.

I have just one remote. I think it is the one that came with my Roku TV. I can switch to all the streaming services with it. Most of what I want, I get on Sling TV. I also have Paramount and Peacock since some sporting events are available only there. If they merged, it might be cheaper than subscribing to each separately. And, I agree with Vexis, it is still cheaper than DirecTv.

I have DISH TV.......and tho I don't watch sports, it does seem on Sat & Sun especially, lots of games, yes NFL. Plus Mon and Thurs. I believe. I know I end up usually on Hallmark on the weekends, because of it. It is a shame TV is no longer free, as it once was. Too many cooks in the kitchen now.

Hilarious. I remember when Hulu was a joint venture between ABC, NBC, and CBS. (Or maybe Fox was in there at some point). Then they all wanted their own services. The other big networks peeled off, leaving Hulu an ABC/Disney property. Now these two are talking about joining up again.

We have a universal remote so no problem there. But not true all streaming platforms are failing. Netflix for example is not along with what is called the live platforms such as YoutubeTV and I believe Hulu +plus live TV. I am happy with my streaming services. I really hope they never go back to how it was prior. I enjoy watching what I what whenever I want & paying less money. I realize it isn't for everyone though.
Also the cable/satellite companies are failing financially also. Directv isn't taking on new sat subscriptions, only taking on for Directv stream for example.

Last edited:
All we had growing up in the 60s was channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13. No remotes yet, one had to get up and change the channel. Now it has gone to the extreme. I feel overwhelmed by all the options, and while I welcome the variety, enough is enough with merging. There should be stand-alone channels, period. And merged channels/streamers should make it easier for the public with lower costs. It should not fall on the viewers to handle increased costs. What about cheaper by the dozen? Make it cheaper to watch merged stations!

I just change apps like channels. The smartphone generations are very used to this now, and it’s not going back. Plus, I love how easy it is to go back and watch my favorite shows. All of this is still cheaper than my old cable bill. And it’s more flexible because I can pause or cancel service whenever I want.

Back