Problem Puppy #2

K

ktspirit

You were all so helpful before, so I wanted to ask about your ideas on this new problem. Remmy, the now 8 month old pup, has become more independent lately and wanting to venture to far. The excitement is still a concern, but now I have to worry about her taking off. I live maybe 500 feet off a 4 lane major highway and she has gotten to the ditch twice now before I squealed, fell down, thus drawing her back. Scary. I hate to keep her on a leash all the time, can't afford a fenced yard, and I'm not in good enough shape to just jog around the house with her for exercise. We have no dog parks or anything here, and it's not going to be safe to take her to the woods during hunting season, so....how can I let her burn of steam? Thanks!

Me thinks your pup needs to have a treadmill!! We have had a couple of dogs that would wander off to close to the street. Take her on the leash to a safe distance from the road say halfway , Then tell her in a stern voice "Remmy House " and make her go back to the house. (lead her) repeating "House" untill you are back to the house give her a treat and lots of praise. Since she is so independent this will take quite a few times. Hopefully at some point she will start for the house when you give the command. Good luck with you pup. let us know how she is doing

If possible, perhaps a pulley clothes line, attached to the house and then a tree, to which you attach a very long leash (which you can attach to the dog. Thus can run back and forth and with the long leash can actually go side to side, so has a large area in which to scamper around. ?????

I had never thought about connecting a dog trolley to the house and then a tree, good idea. The trees are pretty close together in the front, so it didn't seem like there would be enough running room, but I'll have to rethink that option now. :) The back gets too much sun facing SSW as it does. The trees that give shade in late afternoon are not on my property anyway. And, yes you are right the look of love, if Remmy sees a bird, bug, squirrel, anything, it's hard to get her attention to come back, so that would definitly take a fewwwwwwwwww tries, LOL. An invisible fence, which would be ideal, is still a little out of my financial reach, $300-400 at least even if I rented a ditchwitch and put it in myself (minus the electrical wiring part!). But I'm grateful for the suggestions you all have, gets me thinking more out of the box. I also have an 8x10 chain link kennel that my sister borrowed several years ago, but Remmy is a digger. I have to scold her all the time for that. So, anyway, Thanks for the help and I'll keep working on it.

Back