Refrigerator Dilly Beans

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Amanda asked for a dilly bean recipe on facebook, so posting here as well. I only have this one that you make in the refrigerator. If someone has another one or a hot water bath canned one, please feel free to add it on.

Refrigerator Dilly Beans ……Makes 1 quart jar or 2 pint jars

Brine - This makes enough for either 1 quart or 2 pint jars.
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher or pickling salt (is coarser than regular salt)

This is enough beans and onions for either 1 quart or 2 pints.
2 to 3 cups trimmed green beans
1 sliced onion, separate the rings

These ingredients are for one jar. So double the amount if using 2 pint jars.
2 dill sprigs or dried equivalent
½ tsp peppercorns
1/ tsp red pepper flakes (I don’t use)
1 to 2 slightly crushed garlic cloves

Blanch the beans ( 30 seconds in boiling water then in an ice-water bath until cooled.)

Pack the green beans, onion and dill vertically in clean canning jars.
Add the peppercorns, red pepper flakes and garlic.

Combine the vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a sauce pan, and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat.
Pour into the jars, leaving just a little headspace.
Cover jars and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.

Beans will be ready to eat in 2-3 days and will keep for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.

This sounds good, RS. I'll add, that for canning in a water bath, probably the only difference would be to make sure you use 5% white vinegar. Also make sure you do use the pickling salt, as iodized salt will turn the beans (cucumbers, okra, whatever you are pickling) dark. It just doesn't look as pretty.

I looked up some information on canning for this recipe (for sealing jars to store at room temperature), and it said to do a water bath for 10 minutes, let the jars cool, of course, check for a seal.

I thought I would try this recipe earlier, when you first posted it, and because I do not really care for green beans all that much, I went ahead and made them with cucumbers, and Vidalia sweet onions, cut in pieces.... actually the pieces left from making a sandwich for lunch one day, and then when I got a taste of them, peeled an entire onion, and sliced it into the jar along with the cukes, and holy cow little RS... Those are soooooooo good, and have made my fourth batch of pickles since.... Thanks for the measurements of ingredients,,,,,, no more guessing..... Love them....

Back