Rinse or Don't Rinse the Turkey / Chicken??

How do or did you prepare your whole turkey/chicken before seasoning for roasting?

• Rinse or wash in the sink. Then wipe off excess water.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Wipe off with paper towels only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. I use it straight from the wrappings.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don't roast whole turkeys or chickens.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

redsquirrel

Reaction score
The tv and newspapers here plus the Butterball Hotline now say NOT to wash your whole turkey or chicken before cooking / roasting. They say the heat will kill any bacteria but the washing sends bacteria through out your kitchen.

My Mom always rinsed them off and out with warm water, and it never hurt any of us.

I always rinse mine thoroughly. Pat them dry. Then clean the counters and sink with Clorox Clean-Up.

My Grandma’s & Mom soaked their poultry in salt water over night you would be surprised how much stuff it draws out of the poultry and tastes like a fresh bird! And I still do it! Happy thanksgiving!

I've never rinsed poultry unless the cavity is really bloody. All it does is spread bacteria around, not get rid of it. Only cooking to the proper temperature can do that. I worked as a health inspector for years and that is what I recommend. Happy Turkey Day!

It is my husband who does it, but rinse indeed. We don't use those gizzards, heart, etc. so rinse indeed. And the sink is scrubbed and sanitized first before he even does that.

Back