Stefano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Soapie, I meant to ask the same question. When Stefano first came home after his heart attack, he DID talk. But now he just watches and listens. Nothing has been said that I have seen. But perhaps he has laryngitis. His face is very expressive, and he does a good job of that. But he is in a wheel chair. It definitely is puzzling.....I do hope there is an answer.

I also have noticed this, but he does speak. Just very little and not in the same wonderful powerful voice we have come to know and love. I am a tad concerned about Joe Mascolo's (Stefano) health myself, he's is in his mid 80's. And I know he has discussed a reduced work load and this may have something to do with Thaao Penghlis (Andre) coming back to the show to assume his place in the Dimera Dynasty. I really suspect we could see a death of the Phoenix in the near future that he for once does not fake or come back from and Andre takes his place as lead Dimera.

edited to add actor's last name - JS

Last edited by a moderator:
It pains me to say it, but I really suspect Stefano might be on his way out permanently. I would hate to lose Joe Mascolo (Stefano). He is the only actor who could ever play Stefano, in my book. The man has certainly earned the right to play him to the bitter end for however long he likes. And if it is his decision to step down, I wish him a happy retirement.

I also think it now makes perfect sense Thaao Penghlis came back as Andre, rather than Tony (for the moment) as Evil Andre would be the natural option for a Dimera villain on canvas. It will be very sad however to see the unkillable Stefano really, truly "dead". Perhaps, and this does remain my own speculation, but maybe, just maybe, THIS is what Corday meant by "after September the dead will stay dead for good".

I am sure he was aware of any plan that might remove Stefano from the show when he said this. Not to mention way back when Joe Mascolo (Stefano) left the last time and went to B&B, I recall him commenting how he wanted to knock Stefano's urn off the mantle in the Dimera living room and keep him dead. And how that whole fiasco went down when the tried to really murder Stefano and it all changed on a dime at the last second.

Could my speculation be right? It would make sense as part of the 50th to finally end Stefano once and for all.

edited to add character's name, actor's last name and to add punctuation for clarity - JS

What I always liked about villain Stefano was how he came on for a year or so, caused considerable problems, but then was gone, 6 mos, a year or so, and bingo, he was back.
However, the last several years, he has been in Salem continually, rather a watered down version, but that was o.k. (LOVE joe Mascolo).
They tried banishing him from town, keeping him in Europe, phone conversations, etc. But while he seems to know everything that goes on.....he truly has not caused any problems himself, except for trying to kill Marlena by having her thrown out that window.
It just is very unusual for Stefano to not have any dialogue throughout an entire show, two shows. If he is passing the mantle, would have liked to see some talking between him & Andre', instead of Andre' taking over the entire conversation with whomever comes to visit.
There has been no explanation on the show........or anywhere in the media.....at least so far.

I think he is fine but old. They are establishing a storyline here then I think he will be back to his old self.

I don't know how "fine" Joseph Mascolo (Stefano) is or is not in real life, I do know his voice is not exactly his old one, and I swear even the few lines he has spoken. Sound like they are being read off a cue card and as if he is seeing them for the first time. There is just something VERY off about his recent performances.

However limited they might be, I noticed it. It stands out like a sore thumb and I love the guy to death, but something is going on, perhaps he just has the flu. But I cannot put my finger on it. There is a total lack of presence. He is always always seen seated, the spark is just not there. I hope I am wrong. Nothing would please me more.

edited to write out actor's name and add character's name - on this board we do not only use initials to refer to actors - please remember that not everyone knows the real names of the actors who play the various characters - JS

He has been seen standing as well but not for long periods of time and we haven't seen him walking in ages. I think the actor may use a cane in real life as we've seen it in some behind the scenes photos so that could explain why we don't see Stefano walking.

This is where it gets hairy with soap operas when they try to give you the impression that a character is much younger than they are in real life. We've seen it time and time again.

Watching him of late, I could not help but think about how Alice Horton always seemed to be seated towards the end and was rarely seen walking. And even then, Julie or Maggie or Jennifer always had to be helping her.

Joseph Mascolo (Stefano) is sadly not that much younger and Frances Reid (Alice) was 90, I believe when she passed away. Again I hope I am wrong and Joe has many years left on this Earth and plenty of time left to entertain us as Stefano, and/or go out in style and on his own terms, but I just cannot shake the feeling something is off.

edited to add actor's last name and to add character's names - JS

Joe Mascolo (Stefano) is getting older and I wish him only the best. That being said, he does appear to be having trouble with his lines, and I wouldn't be surprised if mobility is a factor for him as well. (I recall during Betty White's Saturday Night Live appearance she only sat down or got up with someone else's help, and on Hot in Cleveland she did a majority of her scenes seated.)

As to Stefano...I've been ready for the DiMera Dynasty to end for a long time. I think it would be a good idea to have Stefano die peacefully in his sleep, give Joe Mascolo a well-earned retirement (heck, he can always still appear to André or Chad or whoever), and give Thaao Penghlis (André) and Billy Flynn (Chad) as well as Drake Hogestyn (John) and Deidre Hall (Marlena) some powerful material to work with.

Just imagine...the great and powerful Phoenix going out because of old age, reminiscent of the death of Buffy's mother on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Nobody for André to seek revenge on, etc.

Yes, I am glad all of you realize the non-verbal of Stefano. I am thinking that they want Andre to take leadership of The DiMera Clan. In my mind, the writers are making a mistake. Probably Joe Mascolo/Stefano is looking towards retirement. The writers need a good villain/bad villain :eek: to fill Stefano's shoes. All and all I don't like it. ShaSha

I'm guessing he's ok, but have noticed he doesn't speak much lately. He has been on the show every week for awhile now, so I don't think the actor has been gone from the set too long, or there would be an absence of Stefano.

He sat down a lot before his heart attack, so I'm not sure.

Joe Mascolo wanted to retire, and thus Stefano was "killed". But it was at a time of a change in writers, and he was talked into returning, with the stipulation of reduced time. Thus the Stefano killed was a clone!Joe M. then injured his leg or ankle in his garden, and thus Stefano was seen seated, mostly talking to others via phone. I understand he would come in, film several scenes which were inserted into various episodes. Sort of like what Peter Reckell (Bo) has been doing.
I have no idea right now as to the lack of dialogue from Stefano, but Thaao has been tweeting for a some time about having so much fun working with Joe Mascolo.
It does seem that there has to be a reason he was brought back as Andre'.....and not Tony.
I have enjoyed Joe M's portrayal of Stefano all these years, & if he wants to retire, he deserves it, in spades. I do hope his health is great in real life. Bless his heart.

Given that we see Stefano so often now, I'm guessing that his workload has increased a bit since he had that limited schedule. That could also explain the use of cue cards as it may be a lot of dialogue for him at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back