Stella Lombard

Heather4CU

Reaction score
So John's mention of Stella Lombard this past week got me thinking about that entire pit storyline in 1992. For those who don't know, Stella and her husband and son were a blue collar family that moved to Salem. I believe their one son had died at the hospital and there was a malpractice suit. Then Marlena started working with Stella's husband Roger on a charity art project and he made at pass at Marlena. She did not reciprocate. Roger left Stella and Stella blamed Marlena. She kidnapped her and pushed into a pit in an old warehouse in town.

This entire storyline was during November sweeps so some really great solo scenes from Deidre Hall (Marlena) in the pit. She should have won an Emmy for this. It took a while for John and Roman to figure out Marlena was kidnapped rather than on a business trip so for several weeks only Stella knew where she was. I won't reveal Stella's fate for those who haven't seen this but I will say this was before the Internet and mass spoilers so I remember being shocked at what happened to her.

John found Marlena first and they bonded in the pit. This was really the true beginning of John and Marlena instead of John as Roman and Marlena. It led to the angst, the Titan affair, Belle, and her subsequent divorce from Roman. But none of this happened quickly.

I found all these scenes on YouTube last night and have been rewatching them. Worth a couple hours of your time if you can watch. Start by searching for The Pit 1992 and you'll find a playlist of about 30+ clips. There is one that is not on the playlist called John Saves the Day (1992). You'll want to watch this one after The Pit Part 15 then continue with the playlist.

Thanks for letting me ramble about one of my favorite storylines. This was a great umbrella story for a long time that tied back to Roman and Marlena being missing for several years. Very well done.

I remember Diedre Hall (Marlena) commenting on how much she absolutely loved working with the actress who played Stella Lombard, she thought her phenomenal. And I do remember exactly what happened to Stella.
Don't know why I thought that Marlena was seeing Roger Lombard because of his drinking problem. Guess I got that wrong.

I think Elaine Bromka (Stella) played a judge years later as well.

Don't know why I thought that Marlena was seeing Roger Lombard because of his drinking problem. Guess I got that wrong.

I think you may be right. But in the Pit scenes, Stella threw some newspapers down to Marlena where she and Roger were on the cover for some art related benefit. So maybe that came after the therapy.

I saw some of the end of it - Marlena was already in the pit I think, when I came in? One day I'll go back and watch it all.

I do vividly remember after it all, Jennifer had a talk show and wanted to interview John and Marlena about what happened, and the unresolved sexual tension was so thick that you could cut it with a knife.

edited to write out words - JS

Last edited by a moderator:
As I recall it, Roger was drunk, ran over Kimberly, and thus was seeing Marlena in therapy, where she discovered he was a great painter. John commissioned him to make a portrait of Isabella, who had died, and Brady would have nothing to remember her (except some videos they made after Isabella knew she was terminal).

Jesse, Roger and Stella's son, lived with Carrie (platonically). And I believe that Roman initially balked at this idea, "wrong-side-of-the-tracks" kid living with his princess, and all that.

Initially Stella was jealous of Roger/Marlena without cause, because Doc was well-dressed, intelligent, etc, and encouraging Roger to "be more" than what he was. I do believe Roger made a pass at Marlena when things were strained with Stella, but Stella was Cray-Cray BEFORE that. And THEN the pit story began, when Stella lured Marlena to the warehouse and everyone believed she was away on business.

Elaine Bromka was a force. I'd love to see her back. If Stefano can go to the pub for Chowder, Marlena can have a throwaway line after seeing "Stella" and then move on. LOL

What I loved most about this storyline is it had so many layers in addition to impacting so many Salemites. Every time you thought Marlena would be rescued from the Pit, there was another setback. It was just so well done.

Thanks for the additional information, Jason.

I saw part one this morning and I was wondering about Roger.
Then I laughed because Marlena is wearing white and down
the pit she goes.

I have to make time to watch more of it.

I saw part one this morning and I was wondering about Roger.
Then I laughed because Marlena is wearing white and down the pit she goes.

It's funny almost every time she has been kidnapped, she's been in some type of pastel colored pants suit. When Kristen locked her in the secret room, she gave her a change of clothes which was to another pastel colored outfit.

I just loved how Stella looked like your average everyday woman instead of a supermodel with skimpy tight outfits and cleavage lol, though Marlena always dressed classy. Kinda why I liked Nancy. Normal woman with the hot loving husband Craig lol. The actress as Stella played crazy as good as Vivian. Yeah, that family was super screwed up.

edited - JS

Back