Twitter question

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
O.K. I do not use twitter much, in fact rarely in comparison to many of you. But I do go there, only via computer (don't have fancy cell phone/ipad) but what annoys me no end is why I get all these messages from sites/products/people that I have not the slightest interest in reading.
Is there a way to limit what I receive? Is there a possibly a way to avoid any mention of someone named Cumberbutch? Or something like that?
I thought that I would only get messages from those I follow, or the subjects that interest me, but it all is very annoying and a burden. Any suggestions, help, help, help!

Unfortunately twitter does have promotes tweets now but you really shouldn't see more than 1 or 2 in your timeline at a given time

Heather, I go on my timeline.......and have tons of tweets of absolutely no interest to me.Ads, strangers, stuff about other TV shows, movies, products. It is what makes me rarely use twitter.
Just wonder.....are there settings I am missing? Just don't want to see all this garbage from others. I cannot even access the #Days posts........

Are you logged in? I am logged in and it has my interests and new tweets from people I follow. If you find some feed that annoys you, click the . . . under their tweets and block them.

How do I block them? And yes, am always logged in. And yes, I see tweets eventually from those I follow......but all the ads, posts from strangers about other things......drives me up a wall.

I don't think you need to block. Make sure you are on your own timeline and not Discover. Your own timeline should say Home.

It does.....but there are all these stupid posts advertising movies, etc. Today, the lst post is
Coach, Inc.@Coach Jul 1
Coach presents #CoachPups, starring Lady Gaga’s French bulldog, Miss Asia Kinney! http://bit.ly/1Kt4Ajf https://amp.twimg.com/v/0df84d21-a294-4874-a289-045c7338c226 …followed by a video clip.

I blocked a few yesterday per doyle's instructions. And I know I will get things that I don't care about because those I follow retweet from somewhere else.......but these ad things are annoying. Right now there is something Rob Lowe tweeted (no I don't follow him,) and an ad for kittens and bunnies, or something like that. https://t.co/u8ZlPGW7HQ

I think you may be on the Discover page instead of your own Homepage. Your own timeline should be nothing more than the people you've chosen to follow with the occasional promoted tweet or two.

Didn't Twitter discontinue the "Discover" page? I read this in an article about a week ago. I noticed it wasn't on my "dash" on either my phone or PC logins so I did some research and found the article. So I don't think she's on Discover.

Poirot, when I first got on twitter, I had ads under my name for diet stuff and other things for sale. I just clicked on "report" or "report abuse", whatever it was and they all went away! I changed my password, too.

Yeah, just had one for Visine...no idea why. I even tried changing settings in my account. Maybe "report" will do the trick. LOL

Didn't Twitter discontinue the "Discover" page? I read this in an article about a week ago. I noticed it wasn't on my "dash" on either my phone or PC logins so I did some research and found the article. So I don't think she's on Discover.

I still have a Discover page on my iPhone twitter app

Back