What is the timeline for renewal?

I know Jason47 has the exact facts, but, I believe the contract goes to September, and usually, renewal is announced in Feb sometime, unless they are negotiating longer, then might be March.

NBC is the culprit here, as they now only renew for one year, and a few years back, they cut what they would pay by a third, and the following year, another third. Thus Days had no choice but to cut corners, reduce salaries, be skimpy with contracts, etc. etc. In addition, I believe there was suit filed sometime in the last couple years, as Days claimed the show was not being marketed elsewhere.

Yeah I'm surprised we haven't heard news of a renewal although it's a bit early. Given the situation with losing so many cast members and closures, you'd think Sony/NBC would be a little proactive.

Then again, it took the show 6 weeks to rise above repeats in the ratings, and it couldn't hold it, so...?

I know Jason47 has the exact facts, but, I believe the contract goes to September, and usually, renewal is announced in Feb sometime, unless they are negotiating longer, then might be March.

NBC is the culprit here, as they now only renew for one year, and a few years back, they cut what they would pay by a third, and the following year, another third. Thus Days had no choice but to cut corners, reduce salaries, be skimpy with contracts, etc. etc. In addition, I believe there was suit filed sometime in the last couple years, as Days claimed the show was not being marketed elsewhere.

"Days" contract runs through the 9/15/21 episode. Days is preempted on 9/16 and 9/17 for golf.

Ken Corday in a recent Soap Digest interview stated that, by the contract with NBC, the season (or the September 15 episode) has to be finished in "five and a half months", or as can be seen from the production cycles, by the end of April 2021. That's been easily done the past 5 years since Days is always 6-7 months ahead of airdate. However, if they take off the next two weeks for Christmas and New Year's, then they would have to tape pretty much every single day, 8 episodes a week, to be able to be finished with 9/15/21 episode by the end of April. If they have to shut down for COVID for just one week even, then there'd be no way for them to be finished with 9/15/21 by the end of April.

As for when NBC announces, it's usually in January or February, but with the pandemic this year possibly pushing the episodes past April 2021, who knows when the announcement might come.

Which means currently, they are about 2-3 months from filming to air, but by April they have to be 5 months ahead.......Was hoping the time lapse between filming & airing would not stretch out to the 8 months ahead they were before the lockdowns, but, guess NBC/SONY is not going to allow for the unforseen.

Thanks Jason, so to make sure I understand they have to have all episodes in the can up to and including September 15th by end of April 2021? Then what happens? Everyone waits for months to find out if the show continues?

To the first question, yes, that's what I took Ken Corday's comments to mean (and it's backed up by the past years of production schedules). "Days" always is finished with September episodes by April.

No, to your second question, because NBC usually decides in January/February, but maybe due to pandemic it would be held up to March? But I would assume they'd decide by February/March in order to give Days enough time to write a series finale, if need be.

Whenever I hear anything, sure.

Days is taping at rapid speed now (up to 9 episodes a week) in order to finish its current contract on time by April 16. They are trying their best to have taped through September 15 by April 16. That's when the current contract ends. So we'll have to hear news soon as the writers will need some lead time to start writing the last two weeks of September, pending renewal.

Back