Will's reason for cheating

cryin4days

Reaction score
The thing with Will cheating on Sonny is it's obvious not very much thought went into this other than Will needed to sleep with Paul, regardless of the route taken to get there.

Before he went to California, Will lamented to Sonny that he felt like he got married too young and too much happened too soon with them - he's now married with a kid at 21. Will feeling like he didn't get to experience life and dating after coming out is a realistic concern and it would have been more plausible for Will to have used this reason to try to explain to Sonny what led him to sleep with Paul. He was caught up in the moment, it was exciting, and he'd already expressed his feelings to Sonny months ago about feeling trapped (my words), so to speak, in their marriage.

However, instead of building on the underlying issues they'd already created, the writers go the route of having Will say he felt there was a bigger story with Paul. He needed a way to get Paul to admit he was gay and they needed the money the article would provide. That first kiss Paul laid on Will should have been proof enough that Paul wasn't as straight as he appeared to be and opened the door to Will questioning his sexuality. He didn't have to sleep with him to get concrete evidence lol. Secondly, Will and Sonny are far from destitute. Sonny owns a club that brings in daily receipts. Not to mention they have family in town that have shown they are more than willing to help financially (other than Victor LOL).

I think Sonny, after some time, would be more apt to forgive Will's cheating if it actually revolved around Will's underlying feelings about their marriage and not around Will chasing a story to make a quick dollar. The latter would make it very difficult to trust that this sort of thing wouldn't happen again if Will had his eyes on a cover story.

There is NO reason good enough for cheating....if the marriage isn't working get a divorce and have a ball. I firmly believe marriage is a sacred relationship and if that relationship is not good for whatever reason, then get out of it, but don't cheat!!!!

Will still has not offered a reasonable explanation for his failure to return Sonny's calls, to text or e-mail him while Will was in California. Sonny has no reasonable explanation for throwing all their savings down the drain. Why has he not gone to court to try and get some $$$ back from that contractor who kept adding on expenses. Did he not have a contract? What about the building now. All fixed and remodeled.
AND...if that mag is a trashy one looking to exploit the misfortunes of others, then Will could have written it easily after just a couple interviews. Paul was coming on to Will all the time, and Will could just comment that he was getting a vibe from the ballplayer that made him uncomfortable, so cut the interview short. I don't know. It was all handled badly. By Will, by Paul, by the writers themselves.
I guess that these writers just know one thing only. Put two people together, and then create havoc to make them unhappy and break up.

There is not one single reasonable thing in this story other than Derrick's slyness. Sonny's sudden inability to manage a club. Or read a contract. Will's worries about his experience prior to getting married. Paul's "love" for Sonny that was so great he wanted to tell nobody. Sonny's sudden temper over one bad night at the club. The (now dropped) angle of Sonny competing with Will's "success." Will's lack of communication while in LA. Will's career (what a joke) and trying to advance it by any means necessary. Nothing makes sense.

That said I agree with your underlying point, cryin. IF this was just about Will's insecurity/attractiveness/whatever, it would be easier to move past. But what's to stop Will from going to this extreme for the next story? Or the next? What is sacred to him?

Like many past troubled marriages on Days, the Will-Sonny debacle is totally contrived. As portrayed on-screen, Will's character is totally unsympathetic. He was turned into an ambitious no-talent hack who writes for a trashy magazine, who is also an immature brat who married too young. The lines he's been using on Sonny could have come right out of EJ's book of cheating excuses, including his blaming the victim by saying nothing would have happened if Sonny had been "more open" with him. As for Sonny, as Jason says, it makes no sense for him to suddenly develop a total lack of business acumen when it came to the new club. Thus, If viewers want a realistic portrayal of true love, they'll have to be satisfied with Eve and JJ.:sarcasm:

I think Will didn't contact Sonny in LA simply because he wanted a break. I know that sometimes people go on these vacations to "find themselves" and feel they need a break from marriage (even without cheating). I believe what Will said before about maybe marrying and having a baby too early in life, but he should've thought about that before going out and doing those things. And as for Will cheating, it's because he's immature. Paul's hot, gay, available and interested, and Will has only been with Sonny (and that Neil guy when they made out back in 2012 for Will's first gay kiss, but I'm not counting that). He probably wanted to know what it was like to be with another guy.

I, of course, don't condone cheating or that kind of behavior at all. I know that I'd never be able to forgive/forget cheating, and it'd be "bye bye" to the guy who did that to me (hopefully that'll never happen). But on the show, I hope that Will and Sonny can go to marriage counseling and work things out and stay together for the sake of Arianna, and because I do believe that they really do love each other.

Will's idea of needing to do something, (in this case get his story), to move himself ahead, feels so much like his Mommy's rationalization for some of her behaviors. Sami was always forced/pushed into doing the wrong thing. In her opinion she was always the victim. To me, Sami is Will's role model, like it or not.

Will has shown no emotion at all throughout this entire storyline. removed comment pertaining to actor personally....JS I don't know but I really think Will needs to try and act like it was a mistake because it doesn't seem like he cares as all one way or another and is just trying to sweep it all under the rug and have Sonny forget about it and move on. Really Will?

JGK, I agree, Will is in desperate need of therapy to cure him of "Sami Syndrome." Unfortunately I doubt Salem has three psychotherapists in town. :( Guess we're out of luck.

I really could forgive some of the hackiness of this storyline if Will truly grew as a result of it. Note: I will not be holding my breath.

Will was flattered a famous person took an interest in him, plain and simple. Just feeding his underdeveloped ego. There aren't enough reasons/justifications for his behavior to ever fly in my book. I'll add that I personally have some serious trust issues, so just my opinion.

The thing is, Will probably doesn't even realize he is replicating the actions/words of his mother. Too bad he can't spend more than 30 seconds with his Gramma Marlena. They were super close at one time, shared a bond that had Sami a bit jealous. But Marlena would recognize the similarities in behavior.
A shame he listened to the devious Gramma Kate's advice. Glad Sonny got to tell her that she knew, and told Will to lie. Good for him.

Back