You have no gay friends. WHAT??!!

SarahBeth

Reaction score
Sorry, but someone needs to tell Paul about the months and months of Sonny's posse we saw during the Will is gay story. They have gay friends. They just aren't into the single and partying life. Sonny owns a club so I doubt he wants to go to the gay bar when he isn't working. If Will wants to, he can go to TBD.

Wait a minute, you're expecting the writers to remember something from 3 years ago, when they can barely remember why characters THEY CREATED came to town? Oh that's a good one!! LOLOL

And there'd be no money to pay Paige, Kyle, and Serena if they were hiring actors to portray Brian, Dustin, Matteo, Karim, and Neil!! :wink:

But of course your points are valid and this was just a flimsy excuse for Will to whine and try to deflect for his horrible behaviour. If that had been the first episode I'd ever seen though, I'd be on Will's side.

I don't understand the premise of, if you're gay you're supposed to have a bunch of gay friends. Since when? Can't people just have friends? Perhaps some are gay, some not. I just didn't get that whole comment and then subsequent conversation between Will and Marlena. I mean, Will and Sonny are married with a young child so their lifestyle is going to be a bit different than even if they were married with no children or just casually dating or whatever.

OK - let me try to explain this...as the married old gay guy who once said the same thing.

Friends are great. And I have all sorts of friends, all across the spectrum. Work friends, school friends, etc. Gay, straight, bi, etc. We have things in common with our friends. (I always think about the old joke - but it's very true - about having a "friend matrix.") And since one of the things about me is that I'm gay, at one point, my husband and I realised we had no gay friends (outside of one who was far away at the time). Recently we realised we only have a few "couple friends" and have been trying to make friends with other couples. (For more on that, see any comedy featuring a couple prominently. LOL)

Why did this matter? Not because our other friends weren't great. But because we wanted friends who understood things about our lives that our other friends didn't.

It's like this...if you're Catholic, or vegetarian, or work late nights, or are still single, and you realise none of your friends are/do, you might say, "We/I don't have any Catholic/vegetarian/3rd shift/single friends." The same could be said for the guy who realises he has nobody to talk to at work, and among his friends, nobody wants to hear about his job...so he might say, "I have no work friends."

I guess what I'm saying is if we take the "gay" out of context, it sounds more like something anyone else might say. It's not really that different than saying, "we have no local friends," which is another thing my hubby and I realised at one point. (Years ago, before we moved back to our hometown.)

That being said...I really think this was just a dumb plot point (like almost all Salem friendships are) to set up Will's harebrained scheme with Paul/Derrick. In fact, I would think the MOST challenging thing in Will & Sonny's life would be that they have no other friends with small children.

Jason, I'm so glad you commented on this!! I had the same thoughts as Sparkster and was going to ask a similar question. Your points make a lot of sense. I have a broad mix of friends, and our conversations vary depending on what we have in common. Gender, age, hobbies, marital status, health issues, etc. and you're right -- it is important to have friends with whom you share very significant aspects of your life. Thanks for your post!

I think Paul's comment to Will was more along the context that gay men can be just friends just the same as heterosexual men and women can be friends. Will assumed that just because Paul and Derrick were hanging out that something romantic was happening between them and Paul simply pointed out that Will would realize that gay men could be just friends if he had gay friends himself, which Will doesn't.

I may have missed the point entirely of SarahBeth's initial post, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I got from Paul's comment.

You're right, cryin4. That was the original context of Will/Paul's conversation. For my part, I was responding more to Sparkster's comment to try to explain why it might be important to have gay friends for a gay man/couple, in relation to Marlena's discussion with Will.

Just to make sure the thread stays on track, SarahBeth brought up the excellent point that Sonny does, in fact, have gay friends who were seen years ago. Of course, the writers failed to remember this, or point out that Will often thought something romantic was going on with them & Sonny.

Just to make sure the thread stays on track, SarahBeth brought up the excellent point that Sonny does, in fact, have gay friends who were seen years ago. Of course, the writers failed to remember this, or point out that Will often thought something romantic was going on with them & Sonny.

This goes correlates directly to Paul's point about Will not being able to see or comprehend that gay men can be just friends. Brent and Sonny were friends for years, but Will was convinced Brent was after Sonny.

And this may be a moot point, but those were Sonny's friends, not Will's. Maybe if Will actually tried to get along with people, he'd see that not everyone is out to steal his man LOL.

Speaking from experience, it is EXTREMELY hard for stable gay married couple with a kid to make friends with other single gay men. The child portion would turn off some gay men, which is true as we aren't accustomed to what society feels as a "normal" life. Why is it hard to make other gay friends? Ummmm, well I know others will agree that some do try to just get in your pants even if involved with someone else and the whole Sonny/Will scenario is almost fantasy compared to reality.

Why is it hard to make other gay friends? Ummmm, well I know others will agree that some do try to just get in your pants even if involved with someone else and the whole Sonny/Will scenario is almost fantasy compared to reality.

That's not applicable to just gay men, it applies to men and women in general. There are both men and women, gay or not, who only want to get in your pants.

Just because a married couple has a kid and a quiet home life doesn't mean there aren't people out there who would shy away from having them as friends just because they don't have the same home/social life. I'm positive there are married couples in actuality who have single friends that party all of the time and share laughs with them telling them all about it.

The writers have forgotten that throughout the coming out story, Will hung around and befriended many of Sonny's gay friends as they discussed the whole being gay thing. Will hung out in the square with them several times and went to the gay club with them as well. It stands to reason that they are still friends but don't hang out as much because like most couples with young children they aren't into going clubbing. And since Sonny owns a club and works many hours at it, going out clubbing isn't going to interest him much unless it's a recon outing to size up the competition.

Back