3-17-16 - Donuts and St Patrick's Day

katmouse

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's going to be a cloudy day here. I was hoping to go outside, but I won't worry about it.

I forgot mention my cherry tree started blooming yesterday. I mowed by it on Tues
and it wasn't. Another gift from god.

I hope everyone will have a lucky and safe day.

saintpatrickdayglitters35.gif

Good morning everyone.

Just a few odds and ends for the day :

1.Saint Patrick was the son of a Roman army officer, and was raised in what is now Britain. He was captured as a slave, and taken to what is now Ireland. Yes, St. Patrick was Roman and not Irish.

2.Saint Patrick taught the trinity by using the three leaf clover (shamrock). His counter part is Saint Brigid, the Catholic patroness saint of Ireland, who taught the trinity by weaving a cross from a reed when visiting villages and farms. Every good Irish Catholic has a shamrock or Saint Brigid cross hanging in their home. (I have both. The Saint Brigid cross that I made is on the door to bless all who enter or exit.)

3. Driving the snakes out of Ireland is a euphemism for converting the pagans, druids, and non-believing Romans and Celts to Catholicism.

4.Green is the color of Irish Catholics because of Saint Patrick's use of the shamrock. Irish Protestants are Orange. My Dad was Orange, but I wear green because I'm Catholic (through my Mom's Italian side).

Last edited:
Happy St Patrick's Day Everyone,

I'm not the least bit Irish and only own 1 green shirt of my own, (although I frequently borrow them from my husband as he has probably 50 green, Green Bay Packer T-shirts, but I'm not allowed to wear t-shirts to work,) and since my 1 green shirt is in the laundry I'm wearing pink. Orange is not allowed in my closet, it looks terrible on me. :rotfl:

We are however having a potluck for our little team of 7 at work today and I brought beer dip. I should have made it with Guinness, but I didn't have any at home.

RS - thanks for the history lesson, I love learning new things.

Wayne - so what does one wear under a kilt? LOL

Kat - love cherry blossoms.

Noel - how are you feeling?

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Good morning, all . . . and Happy St Patrick's Day! Today would have been my mother's 105th birthday.

Darn, darn, darn! It froze last night. I haven't been out to the garden yet, but I'm guessing this means I lost all my zucchini plants and will have to start over. So much for the early spring!! Ah well, I knew it was a risk.

Have a good day.

Good morning. Squirrel, I enjoyed the background information. There was never any St. Patrick's celebrating in my upbringing or surroundings. My mother's side is Scots Irish but I only learned that late in life and I don't know how it fits in with any of the customs or beliefs. I don't know of any Catholics in my family history.

Overcast with chance of rain the next few days but looks like it is east of us so far. Hoping my fix-it guy comes back and lays the new sewer line today--and covers up the deep ditch he dug. He dug it all up day before yesterday, and got it functioning, but didn't come back yesterday. Also the lawn mowing guy is supposed to come late today. I hope the rain holds off because my yard is getting overgrown, which equals, "snaky!"

Wayne, feel better soon! Noel, hope you and your family are continuing to mend.

Kat, I've never seen a cherry tree. I hear they are breathtaking while in bloom.

Manda, I don't know if I could come up with anything green to wear either. I lean toward turquoise.

Wishing everyone a good day!

Hi everyone and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Sunny and in the 70s today. So I used that wonderful weather opportunity to finally wash my car.

I have red hair and green eyes but I'm not Irish weirdly enough. Scottish is more likely but my family has been here since before the Revolution so who knows. On the plus side green is definitely my color.

Feel better Wayne!

Sorry about your plants Lil0.

Enjoy your cherry tree kat.

A. Guy:rotfl::rotfl:

I finally made an appointment to get my haircut today. At 3:00pm today will be free of this unruly mane.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Good afternoon and Happy St. Patrick's Day. My in-laws took the girls for a few days, but Ava decided to come home early. It was homesickness combined with a cough/sore throat. And the rest of this Spring Break week, we've just been relaxing. They have dance tonight and we have errands to run tomorrow. Rain chances tonight and tomorrow and cooler weather in the 50s, but back into the 70s for next week. I hope everyone has a great day.

Today was my Mother's birthday also! She would have been 86 and of course her name was Patricia! Being my maiden name is O'Barry speaks for itself! But I did learn a lot from reading Squirrel's post - thank you! I'm wearing one of Mom's t-shirts today. My sister and I both took one and agreed to wear them every year!

Noel - hope you're feeling better

Lilo - I have been wanting to start some stuff for the garden but over here on the east side of the state we are still freezing at night so I put in the back window. I never have much luck with those starts though. Hope you didn't lose your goodies.

My daughter usually has us all over for dinner but she is in the process of moving and pregnant so decided not to do it this year. We have been cooking corn beef and cabbage in the crock pot here at work for everyone! (I don't like it but don't tell anyone! LOL)

Shan

Went out for bread today, kind of a long drive for it, but it rules. The wind was gusting 50+ mph; I almost expected to see some of OC's tumbleweed rolling down the street!

The supermarkets usually have sale prices on corned beef just before St. Pat's, but not this time. I think the lowest was $3.59 lb.; not stocking up this year. :(

There are no strangers in the Irish pubs today, but it's not my scene. Drive carefully, everyone!

you can probably get corned beef cheaper tomorrow. I didn't get
any this year. Maybe I'll get some Sat if I see it.

Hello. It's been raining on and off today, so I took a nap. I haven't been sleeping well due to aches and pains, especially in my right hip. The Blue Emu I've been using isn't working for that spot. The weather radio has been going off for thunderstorms and high winds in areas near here, driving Remmy crazy. She thinks I should be doing something about it, lol. I did make it to the store for some necessities and I'm hunkering down, lol.

Saint Patrick's Day is fun, though my family hails from Northern Ireland Protestants. RS, I didn't even know I was Orange, lol! Green used to look better on me, but I don't think anything looks that good anymore, lol.

Take care and stay safe!

Heya Everybody! :) I hope that everyone is having a fantastic day! Today has been an okay, but a really busy day. I went to work, came home and had dinner, which was broccoli with melted cheese, chicken and some rice. It was pretty good. After dinner, I did a pile of errands that needed to be done around the house and right now I'm relaxing and watching my favourite sport on television, college basketball. I love this time of year when I get to see a few nights worth of basketball. Sorry for those that do not like it.

The weather has been so bad here, it has rained Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and now Thursday. I've seen the sun for about 4 hours Monday-Thursday. Ugh, I want the sun back.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to each and everyone of you. Wishing you all much happiness and love, not just on this particular day but for always. I hope that everybody has a terrific Thursday evening. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back