2 yellow onions
3 large eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper (optional)
Between 1/4 or 3/4 cup all purpose flour
Oil for frying, vegetable or canola

PREPARATION

1--Peel potatoes. Place in bowl of cold water, this way the won't turn brown

2--When ready to prepare latkes, drain potatoes (dry-off) cut in quarters. Place potatoes and quartered onions in a food processor fitted with knife blade. (you probably have to do in parts depending on the size of your processor). Potatoes and onions together. Pulse until smooth, but not watery. Drain mixture thru a strainer with a large bowl underneath it so excess water runs thru into bowl. (do not throw out).

3--Pour potato puree into large bowl. Put a couple of pieces of onion into puree to keep potatoes from turning brown. (potatoes should be white in color). Add 3 eggs, mix until combined. Add enough flour, so that mixture holds together. (A LITTLE AT A TIME). Don't forget to add your salt and pepper if desired. Mix

4--Pour 1 inch oil into a large skillet (frying pan). Heat oil over medium heat. When hot CAREFULLY drop 1/4 cup (use a measuring cup marked 1/4 cup) of potato mixture into hot oil. (I forgot before dropping potatoes, you can test oil by dropping a drop of water into oil, if it splats, oil is ready for mixture). When potato is brown around the edges, flip. Brown on other side. (should be golden brown crispy in color). Don't overload your skillet. Cook through.

5--Use a large platter and put a sheet of paper towels for the first layer to drain oil from latkes. Put another paper towel over first batch and continue to layer until all latkes are finished.

Serve with sour cream (I use Daisy Sour Cream because it is so yummy and thick) and a good applesauce. I like both on my plate. Some people prefer one or the other. It's all a matter of taste.

This is my Hanukkah gift to all of you. Enjoy! Happy Hanukkah!!!!:love:

Back