10-30-17 - Donuts & Curlers

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Morning,

Cold today, with the high temp only to get to about 40*. Yesterday was lovely. Of course everything I needed to do yesterday was inside (church, birthday party, shopping). Saturday was cold, but the girls had a great time at the Girl Scout Zombie Apocalypse event.

As to the title of the thread, Gena decided she wanted curlers in her hair after her shower last night so she could have curly hair today. We have the sponge kind, so she slept with them in all night, wakes up today with beautiful ringlet curls (her hair is usually ruler straight), only to have a complete and utter meltdown because supposedly she only wanted wavy hair. So I had to sit and try to brush out all those pretty curls, and then she was unhappy because her hair was "puffy". She ended up with a ponytail today. Makes me sad because her hair was really beautiful with the curls.
:sad:

Poirot - sorry everything got messed up during the move. Hope you're able to get organized without too much hassle.

Hope you all have a better start to your day than I had.

JS- that would be so cool, to have fancy hair every day. I'm lucky if I can get ponytails straight. Last night she told me she wanted hair like Merida from Brave, and today she decided she'd rather have hair like Ariel from the Little Mermaid, not even close in how they look. :rolleyes: Oh, well her eyes are the right color either way. :rotfl:
th
Merida vs Ariel
th

A pretty day with wind. It might get close to 60 today. Tomorrow will be
cloudy and in the 40s. So after cleaning, I got out and did some work in
the flowerbed. I cut down the lantana (what the butterflies loved) and
the zinnia by the mailbox. I dug out two small trees in the flowerbed too.
I need to dig out iris by the mailbox before I put pansies there.

manda, kids. At least you tried making her hair nice.

Poirot, good luck getting stuff unpacked. I labeled all my boxes, but none got
where they were supposed to go. I had to buy plastic ware, because it took
forever to find the box with the silverware.

I hope everyone has the best Monday they can.

Good morning, all,

Manda – Your story of the sponge curlers made me remember when my little sister used to get her hair done in curls and how upset she was at times because it didn’t quite have the look she was going for. But what I remember are the pink foam rollers with the white band that clipped over the hair onto the end of the curler. I think my mom ended up asking her each time do you want curls or do want ringlets? It didn’t help that she had me as a brother and would call her Nellie Olsen every time she had her hair in ringlets! LOL!

Katmouse – So nice that you are able to continue work in your gardens. I’d like to do that but we cleaned up our yard at the end of September.

We are about to get into cooler weather and expected to last for a few weeks. Man, I hope it isn’t as cold of a winter as last winter. We had plans to really decorate our front yard like a graveyard, hang skeletons on the naked tree out front and scatter some other Halloween items on the lawn but they are calling for some snow I believe so we have changed out plans.

When you walk into our front door it is open to the living and dining room so we have set the dining room table up with a skeleton wearing a black veil, stuffed a hazmat suit with blankets to sit it at the table with a ghost and we will sit another fiend at the table. The plan is I am going to dress up as well and sit at the table so when the kids and our adult neighbours come over to trick or treat, they will grab a piece of candy from the table thinking everything is fake then I will do something to scare them. That’s the plan at least.

Our weekend was fun. I had rehearsal on Friday night, Saturday was 24*C (75.2*F) so we went for a drive in the tbird to a country town and went for dinner then came home and got ready for a Halloween party, which was a lot of fun. Many of the guests were theatre people so there were some great costumes. On Sunday I had rehearsal.

Hope the weekend was good for everyone. Have a good week and fun Halloween.

Morning all.

Manda - when I have long hair, it can look like Merida or Ariel, depending on the humidity, doing nothing but washing and combing out.

I've got some pictures from this weekend.

best in show maple.jpg Carols tree.jpg persimmon.jpg Shohin.jpg

These are thumb nails. Please click for a better look. The maple won best in show. The juniper is owned by someone in our club. It was a demonstration tree two years ago, dug from the wild and was very rough. Now it amazing. The dark line is the life line. And then the persimmon tree up close and in the stand with the rest of his little shohin friends. (shohin trees must be under 8 inches tall).

Off to get Mr. Gus from daycare.

Robin - my hair was like yours for a while between puberty and pregnancy. Before and after it's mostly straight, with a slight wave if I'm lucky.

Muzz - too funny about teasing your sister. Have fun with the Halloween decorations.

Good morning. I finished up physical therapy last week. I'm almost back to normal. There are some things I just can't do or have to take a bit more cautiously. But I've been driving for a few weeks now. I hated that feeling of restlessness of not being able to go anywhere.

The girls are doing well. Ava will be a pirate and Annabelle will a gypsy for Halloween. Ava also has a "book report" to write about a character in a book and to decorate a pumpkin like that character. She chose "pink crayon" from The Day the Crayons Quit, so we painted her pumpkin pink and put pink paper on a Nesquik container to make the body, and topped the pumpkin with a pink party hat for the crayon tip.

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm going to do my best to skim through Donuts and catch up.

It's Monday, again.:rolleyes:

This mom is exhausted from Halloween prep: decorating, baking, costume fitting, and trying to be patient with school authorities. They sent home a letter to parents stating "no cultural misappropriation" will be tolerated. Their suggestion: dress your child up as themselves or a scary relative?!?! Party poopers is the nicest comment I can make about them. My kiddos go as the costumes they chose and I told them if they were sent home early not to be hurt, but be patient, because the grown ups forgot what it is like to be a child!

Manda: glad your weekend was a good one. Hope you took a picture of Gena with her beautiful curly locks before brushing away the curls. So glad Gena has the perfect eye color for either style.

JS: a baby face with Elizabeth Taylor hairdo sounds fabulous to me too!

Kat: if there is a gardening angel, you deserve that title. I love seeing your posts on youtube of your beautiful garden year round.

Muzza: so you were a little Willie Olsen type?! That's why your Halloween decorated home sounds like such fun. You both have a twisted [my fave kind] of humor. Tomorrow night at your house should be great fun.

Robin: welcome home! Mr. Gus will be so delighted to see you again. Thanks for always posting pics of the bonsai trees -- they are fabulous.

Rockford: what a treat to have you posting today! So glad your rehab continues to improve your mobility and you are able to drive now. It must feel like sheer freedom! Hope the girls have a great time trick-or-treating tomorrow night. And you can have fun sorting the Halloween haul -- I always do.

Take care everyone and have the best Monday possible!

Good afternoon everyone. Another cold damp day here. At least the rain has stopped for a while.

It has been a day of putting out fires and biting my tongue. I just can't believe how some people won't or can't do their jobs after working for 9 to 28 years at them. GRRRRRR

Amanda - I bet the curls/waves situation was frustrating for both of you. Maybe it was Gena's way of getting out her pent up frustrations with the job issue.

JS - Boy, you were lucky to have your Mom fix your hair. With all of the kids in our family, my Mom had my hair cut short until I was a junior in high school. I had a Dorothy Hamill cut before Dorothy Hamill was even born.

kat - May we please have pictures after your pansies go in? I only have hostas and forsythias now so I'm enjoying your flowers a lot.

Muzza - Oh my goodness, I wish I was a fly on the wall at your house for Trick or Treat. That sounds like a hoot.

robinsnest - WOW! The bonsai are beautiful. If I didn't see the dish in the first picture, I wouldn't even know that it was small.

Rocky - I hope you continue to heal. It sounds like the girls will have a good Halloween. They seem to be growing up too quickly.

Noel - What the heck is wrong with the school admin? Most kids that age want to be super heroes, princesses, witches, zombies, cartoon characters, etc. Are they afraid that zombies will attack if they're wrongly portrayed?:sarcasm:

Noel - What the heck is wrong with the school admin? Most kids that age want to be super heroes, princesses, witches, zombies, cartoon characters, etc. Are they afraid that zombies will attack if they're wrongly portrayed?:sarcasm:
Yes, Squirrel, I totally agree. Their point of view is that when you dress that way you are mocking another culture OR trying to steal their values?!?! It is a political point that should not be allowed to impact young school children!:angry:

Noel - I didn't get a picture. We were running so late in trying to get to school/work on time that I didn't have time to dig my phone back out of my purse to take a picture. Although, I really wish I had, as she'll probably never let me put the curlers in again. Gena's school doesn't do anything for Halloween, so tomorrow will be rush rush rush to get changed into her costume and out the door for trick or treating. I understand your frustration.

RS - sounds like a very frustrating day. I have a feeling you're right about Gena and pent up frustrations. She's been acting out a lot more than normal lately.

Robin - sorry I forgot to mention that the trees are just gorgeous.

Rocks - glad you're on the mend.

Their point of view is that when you dress that way you are mocking another culture OR trying to steal their values?!?

Batman, Spiderman, Superman have a culture that can be mocked????

Who knew?

I guess they don't want white girls as Moana, or Lilo, or Pocahontas. I guess Wiccans get upset with witches. Does Patrick Swayze get upset with ghosts? Or Casper?

So confusing.

Manda - My mom used to do that to my sister and me. We always had long hair, to our waist, and then she wanted to give us permanents that stunk so bad. I remember sleeping on those curlers. They hurt!

JS - I love it when I run into someone from grade school and what they remember about you can sometimes be hilarious. I'm glad yours was a good memory.

Kat - I worked outside in the flower beds all weekend when I could. All my flowerbeds are bare now except a few the frost hasn't killed off.

Muzz - sounds like your Halloween is going to be a blast. We love doing that kind of stuff also. Our neighbors say they are always worried about coming to our house. LOL

Robin - beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. Have a safe travel home.

Noel - I'm so tired of schools trying to take all the fun out of these holidays. They want to stop doing anything any more. We're not allowed to call it a Halloween party any more. It's a harvest party. It's not Christmas program, it's a holiday program.

RS - so glad your rain has stopped. We're supposed to start getting snow on Friday.

I'm so glad Poirot posted. So sorry you have boxes with nowhere to go.

We had a great weekend. Halloween party on Friday evening. Ember had a party on Saturday and wanted Nana to make her favorite green jello. Worked out in the yard yesterday and took a hike with my sister and her husband. The weekend flew by so fast.

Have a great day.

Snowing again, lightly, but still snow! Ugh! Cold! Yuk. I emptied a couple things, got hubby to take stuff to dumpster. Problem is that it was not ME to packed up the "Office" stuff, thus items are just thrown in boxes, needed or not. And I don't have the drawers/file cabinets to even begin to "organize. Business stuff is mixed with personal, and all has to be looked at, sorted, piled, etc. And then there is hubby who wants to "save" everything. We had manuals from things we have not had for years, or replaced, etc. etc. I am missing a few kitchen items, but basically, I already had brought and put away all the closet stuff, etc. LOL, I find bathroom items mixed in with office.

Don't have a medicine cabinet in bathroom, so that makes things difficult. Plus remembering where the heck I put something. LOL

Have to run some errands this afternoon. I really miss my desk. And now, the radio cannot be on because he is watching TV all the time (kitchen/dining/living is just one big area!

Back to work. (Even my internet/computer is a temp hookup) as I have no idea how to get everything the way I used to have.....

Wrote this this morning...you can tell how much I am interrupted....just saw it did not post.better late than never...

Poirot, when my parents moved into a smaller place my dad put in
medicine cabinets in the bathrooms.

Back