11/17/21 - Donuts and Suture removal

robinsnest

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whooo Hooo I get the bandage off and the sutures out today..... maybe then I can put regular house pants on...... My brother is back in the states!!! He left in May returned briefly in September but is back till after the holidays..... and my younger sister is back under COVID warning as she has been exposed again, while walking on a beach she ran into a friend they walked for awhile, hugged before leaving and the other person contacted her...... to say she is less than thrilled would be an under statement.....

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday

My power went out at 1:00 Monday afternoon in that horrible wind storm. It just now came back on about 20 minutes ago. It is cold in my house, and it will take a while to warm back up, but it is so good to have lights, water, and access to the outside world. Amazing how much we depend on power and running water. High winds almost blew a truck off the bridge at the north end of the island. The ferry off the west side of the island stopped running due to the winds, so the only way on or off the island was the ferry at the south end.

Attachments

• truck toppled.jpeg
    truck toppled.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Lil0, I've been wondering about you. Sure glad you've got power again! Hope you didn't get any damage. It was more than enough challenge to go without power and water for a few days. Do you have well water? Throughout all the years when we used well water (until 2001) I dreaded electrical outages more because of the water than the electricity for other things. But we also had propane heat back then. I hope you didn't get too cold.

Robin, yea!! A big step forward for you. Oops, no pun intended. Don't go stepping too big too soon. I hope you can get rid of the pink monster at night now. Is your pain under control? Glad your brother is back. I hope you get to spend time with him. But your poor sister. It seems hopeful that she won't get Covid, since they were out in the open on the beach but you never know.

I've been doing some cleaning, trying to put away things that don't need to be out when the young ones are here. Mostly I've managed to stir up my dust allergy. Wind has switched from south to north this morning but still blowing, although it hardly seems worth noticing, after hearing what it's been like for some of you. It will only get to the low 70s*, is sunny with thin scattered clouds. Looks hazy. A fall look and feel. Gold leaves falling everywhere. I do have bright gold leaves around me but no reds for the breathtaking contrast needed. One big Chinese Pistachio and one Pecan Tree in the yard. Just outside the yard across my driveway is a grove of wild China Berry trees, which also turn bright gold. All have narrow leaves, so I just let them disappear gradually on their own, with the help of the wind. Mesquites are still green. They are the last to arrive and the last to go.

It was in the 60s when I walked early this morning. The cold front has been delayed awhile. No rain
in forecast and lows in 40s tonight.

Today I went to the two church libraries. Nothing much going on there.

When I got home, I raked more leaves. I noticed when I left this morning, one front section needed
raking. I got up five cans. I found nice grass underneath. My mower was to come yesterday. He
might come tomorrow or Friday to do the year end mowing.

robin, I hope things went well getting your sutures out today. I hope your sister doesn't have Covid.

Lil0, I'm sorry your lost power.

OC, good luck getting your clutter up. I'm still doing things outside. I need to start doing things inside.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the day.

It sounds like we ALL need to stop a minute, take a drink of whatever (Mine is Sprite right now; wine later), and take a breath and be thankful that we have this site to keep us sane! I'm beginning to realize all the "little" things my husband used to do around the house: trash, pick up, go to the mail, take care of Peanut (our dog in my picture), cook simple meals and other things. My back itches and there's no one to scratch it or put on lotion. I know I can call my family and they would gladly do it, but it's just not the same. :sad:

God Bless you all

Very strange weather here. overnight, about 90% of the snow on the ground melted away. Was shocked at 6:30 a.m. to see grass everywhere, lol. It was about 33 then, was supposed to get to 40, but only 36. Very, very windy, so feels much colder. I only took a couple bags of garbage to the dumpster and got the mail (ad only) & am still not warmed up. tomorrow have early medical appt. so sure hope the wind alleviates somewhat. Shivering still. LOL, it began to flurry a tiny, tiny bit when I was out, so NO idea if that will continue, get worse, stop or what. Sun was out, has disappeared, now very overcast. Yuk, but typical Nov. skies. As that song goes.......
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they called Gitche Gumee
The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy…

Those are beginning lyrics from Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"....up in Duluth they have a memorial service every year since it happened, and that was last week. think I told you all I saw the Edmund Fitzgerald moored in the Duluth Harbor, year or two later it was gone.

Am so happy for Robin, sure hope it all went well & PERHAPS the pink beast can be retired.
Kat, you must have a lot of trees in your yard, bless your heart for all that raking.....OC, it is so great to see the family & the little ones, but the getting ready........and the cleanup after are exhausting, for sure. But the good times are worth it.

Poirot, I don't have trees in the front, but my neighbor does. He has pear trees, but the leaves
haven't fallen yet. We don't have yard waste pick up and most people don't rake. So, the
leaves in the front yard blow all over.

nanahl. I hope your family help you without asking.

OC -- My family is SO helpful. They make sure I have any and everything I need or want. When I put out an APB for something I need done, someone is there as soon as possible. (The all live in town but work out of town). They even make sure I get to Friday Night Football games. Our school is in playoffs as the defending State Champs! Our Band received the Silver Medal for the State contest. Of Baseball and Softball usually are in the playoffs and our Academic Competition usually is in the top 3, generally number 1. We've had the Lone Star Award 7 times which is the designation for the top 2a school system in Texas. We're proud of our little town.

And mine are all over the country........not any here at all. They have tried to do something via phone, that doesn't work so well. Makin' do, or do without is the way it goes.

Back