12-16-2016 - Donuts & Ribbons

Noel

Reaction score
Good Friday morning, everyone.

I have been up all night - it is 3:28AM - wrapping presents for the younguns. And making a list of more batteries to purchase. The baking is mostly done, but the pies must wait til next Friday to be fresh. Saturday I will begin portioning out the Christmas plates with cookies, bars, cake and candy to give to family, neighbors and friends. Then Sunday afternoon we all play Santa and deliver them personally.

It is definitely my weather outside. Robin, don't faint, but it is 59F and I have the window wide open as I sit here in the study. My cotton gown is just fine with this cold breeze. And I refuse to quit dreaming of a white Christmas even in the southwest desert.

Hope each of you has a light schedule today, and a little holiday fun. If you love old Christmas classic movies,like I do, then on AMC this Saturday, they are playing The Bishop's Wife, White Christmas and more! All of you with the white fluffy snow enjoy every moment!
:)

Hi all, just an aside...watched Jimmy Stewart in Shop Around the Corner last night. I have to say, I liked it better as an old movie than the "updated" In the Good Old Summertime:" remake from the other day, even if it WAS set in Chicago, lol. I liked "Summertime", but really prefer the original. LOL

This afternoon, they say the snow begins, the most falling overnight, and then the temps will really plunge as will the wind chills....tis scary. I doubt I will make church again this Sunday if the temps do what they are predicting.

Have to finish laundry today, also Christmas cards, I don't send many any more, but there ARE those with whom I try to stay in touch. Sent out about 1/2...

JS: I bought the album on your recommend earlier this year and just love it. Enjoy.

Poirot: please stay safe when outdoors when walking or driving. It does sound softly beautiful. Just 9 days left to enjoy this Christmas and enjoy sharing it with family and friends. I hope your husband is feeling better now. I also prefer the original Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart.

Good morning!

It's a brisk 21 degrees this morning and only expected to get to 32. Luckily no snow for us. And tomorrow will be 60 degrees. My sinuses are going to hate me the next few days.

Working 10-6:30 today. Hopefully it's not too cold in my store. I'm sure the stockroom will feel like the North Pole.

Noel, 59 degrees sounds heavenly right now.

Poirot, stay warm and safe with that snow.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

What weird weather I'm having. It's going to get warmer and warmer as the day goes on.
High Sat AM will be close to 60 and drop all day. It might be 9 when I go to church
on Sun. FYI, another cloudy day.

A busy morning getting packages ready to mail today. I'll make a couple of other
stops in the little town. I decided no need to change clothes just to do errands. I
see people wearing the holey jeans so I'm overdressed compared to them :)

Noel, I hope you won't be sleeping Christmas Day since you're not sleeping now.

I've got dash away, dash away to get the packages ready.

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

... as for me, like an idiot, I'm sitting here in the office, drinking cold Snapple diet tea while wearing a hoodie and freezing to death. Some times it's too bad I didn't get into coffee. :)

Spent the last two days a bit under the weather with tummy issues. On the bright side, being home sick allowed me the opportunity to tear my apartment apart looking for a copy of the divorce decree from my first marriage, so that I can get a Wedding license to let me move on in the next little bit.

Lucky to have found it, as;
  1. I would have imagined that I would have burned it in effigy about a dozen years ago and
  2. I had almost given up and was *physically and actually* putting my "go bag" in the truck to drive from DC to Huntsville (600+ miles each way) to secure a new copy from the courthouse when I happened to look down at a bucket in my garage and see exactly what I was looking for out of the corner of my eye.
Originally, Lisa and I were thinking to get married on July 15th, which would be one year since the day we met, but Sunday, we were sitting there when she sheepishly looks over at me and says "ya know, January 15th would be six months, and I don't know if I wanna wait until July."

I agree.

Wayne

Last edited:
Wayne, you need to drink hot tea or hot chocolate on cold days. I'm glad you posted about your
divorce papers. I've been thinking about destroying mine. I better keep it. I still need to
shred the marriage license.

Morning all.

Ahhh, it's a strange morning for the desert. I slept with the windows open last night. It wasn't until the late news that we knew it was raining. Hey, Hunny bunny, is it raining? The guy on TV says it is raining here??? Hunny Bunny opens the back door. Yep, he's right, it's raining. Weather guesser -1, Robin - 0.

Wayne - congrats on finding your papers. My ex left and moved to another state to live with the woman who was his "soul mate" in 1997. I am still waiting for the final divorce decree. My useless attorney has since passed on to where ever useless attorneys go. The ex remarried in 1999, before we had agreed on settlements, etc. (did I mention my attorney was useless?) January 15th sounds lovely.

I have today and Monday left to work in this year. The hour count down clock is on.

Happy Friday and stay safe and warm.

Wayne, you need to drink hot tea or hot chocolate on cold days. I'm glad you posted about your
divorce papers. I've been thinking about destroying mine. I better keep it. I still need to
shred the marriage license
By all means, to my bemusement, you should hold onto it...

I have simply been surprised to discover that -- in some states (like Ohio) -- you have to have the original divorce decree in order to apply for a Marriage license. It seems as though they're okay with you marrying your second cousin, as long as you're not a bigamist :)

My problem, fear, and the reason I was 5 seconds away from launching a spontanous 1200 mile round trip is that the only documentation you can get from online sources (like vitalchek) is a "Divorce Certificate", which is apparently not the same as a decree, and said states may not accept it. Since the local Probate court (source of official documentation) is a cash-only place, you have no way to order the original decree from them, save for in person..

The original marriage license on the other hand was a source of great amusement as a 100-foot range target for my rifle.. :)

Wayne

My ex left moved to another state to live with the woman who was his "soul mate" in 1997. I am still waiting for the final divorce decree.
Holy Bat Guano Robin!

19 years is a little long to wait on such a thing. You might want to track that down at some point just for peace of mind. I did just happen to have the smirky-evil thought for you to pop up after 20 years and have him put away for bigamy... Think of the alimony! ;)

I have today and Monday left to work in this year. The hour count down clock is on.

Please, by all means, enjoy the rest of your year, two days notwithstanding. I'm leaving for Ohio on the 23rd and will be back Tuesday after Christmas. Then, I'm turning back around and taking three days after MLK's birthday in January (meaning I get the whole week due to the inauguration shutting down DC on that Friday) to "see what happens" in Ohio... Could be married when I get back, may not be. Who's to say? :)

Wayne

It is already snowing here, I went out to the gas station (12 miles) since I was so low, Road o.k., but a few minutes after getting home, came down harder.

Wayne, cannot imagine why the probate court in your hometown would not accept a credit card, or at least a debit card. You could have possibly sent a check to an old friend to take it for you??? But, glad you found it. I think my mom's divorce papers are in the old cedar chest which I have, I saw them, (she passed away long time ago) but have to say, never saw a wedding license. I know she threw her wedding ring into Lake Michigan. LOL

Just an aside.......but January 15th is a Sunday...and is also National Hat Day. LOLOL Gee, are you telling me you do not plan to be in town for all the festivities and crowds and congestion, that will be going on as the calendar nears the 20th? :)

Afternoon everyone,

Neck deep in sewing, but took a break for lunch. 2 pillows done, 2 are half done. Not exactly sure how much I have left. It's so much faster with my friend helping.

It's been snowing here since I got up at 5:30. We're supposed to get between 8-13 inches by the end of tomorrow.

Poirot, the courthouse here in Appleton, WI only accepts cash or check also. Too easy to cancel credit card transactions or claim the card was stolen.

Wayne - wow, you guys are wasting any time, good for you!!

Well, lunch is done, so I'll try to visit more later. Hugs

Wayne - wow, you guys are wasting any time, good for you!!
Well, there's an eternity between the blink of an eye which is the next three weeks. No one knows what'll happen between now and then, but we're just looking at it pragmatically as, 1) know what we want, 2) don't want a big production, and 3) feel like there's no sense in delaying the "inevitable" for the arbitrary date of July 15th, which is both a palindrome (71517), and a lucky number -- 7 + (1+5+1=7) + 7 == 777...

Wayne

Red: sure hope you are not working at the North Pole today unless you can help Santa. :wink:. Wishing you a light, easy, and non-frigid day.

Kat: wrapping and mailing Christmas gifts is such fun, isn't it? And sleeping on Christmas never happens as the joy of the day energizes me. When everyone sleeps, including pets, I can play Santa in a shorter time frame.:)

Wayne: January 15th is a great date.:)

Robin: are you borrowing my rain again?:wink:. I keep looking but it is always on your side of town. But the cloudy sky is wonderful.

Poirot: glad your 12 mile trip this morning was a safe one. Hope you can read a book, sip hot cocoa and enjoy the beauty of falling snow now.

Amanda: oh how beautiful 8+ inches of snow makes nature. Glad you have a friend to help you see the pillows. Stay safe, warm and joyful today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noel - I have to tell you how you have really helped with my Christmas spirit this year. I always miss my folks this time of year and get bummed and you have made me feel so much different. I do have a right to feel the hustle and bustle of the season and they would want me to! I baked last night (fudge and Special 'K' treats).

I'm making 3 different kinds of cookies tonight and then Saturday - candy! We have our Christmas party on Saturday night and will spending the night there and then Sunday when I get home I make up the plates and deliver! I actually have been listening to Christmas music while baking and hearing Christmas spirit telling me - it's all good!

Wayne congrats on (maybe) getting married. Why wait, especially this time of year?!

Manda - good luck on getting all your sewing done. I bet you're enjoying it!

Poirot- sorry weather is dumping again. Stay warm and stay in if you can. I hope your husband is feeling better.

We were 4 below this morning but finally it stopped snowing about midnight last night. So we have about a foot now but when it's this cold it's soft and fluffy and blows off the main roads. Side streets are awful and now getting lots of ruts. Supposed to be a real bitter cold this weekend and then start warming into the 20's next week.

Stay warm

Good afternoon everyone!

Finals are done! Spanish test was today! I don't know how I did, but overall the class grade should probably be a B. I'm satisfied with that.

Wish me luck! I'm tipsy and about to go to work. Yup, being a bit irresponsible for once. But I'm a very friendly drunk, and so that should help with the customers. Usually I'm so shy, so this will probably make me a bit more talkative. I had to have a bit of fun with classmates today anyway.

Have a warm day all. It's only 22F today! Going to see Star Wars tonight!

Back