2-1-2016 - Donuts & Raindrops!

Noel

Reaction score
Good morning friends

Last night and very early this morning we listened to raindrops falling on our roof! The wind was very strong with gusts up to 40mph here on the west side of town. The rain made it all worthwhile.

On the way to work (so as not to scare off the cat at home) I sang "rain drops keep falling on my head" with great joy. Wishing each of you a great first day of February.

Ah, Noel. You make me smile..finding so much happiness in 40 mph wind gusts. That a girl! The skies are very dark here, so we either get some snow, or freezing rain, or something along those lines. I am hearing a huge snow storm coming across the midwest (yes, all that moaning about the Iowa caucuses is why the big focus) Don't know if it will stretch up here, but we have snow in our forecasts every day. (however is is 29°, so who knows? Rain? Snow? Sleet? Eeeny, meeeny, miny....etc.
Laundry and book work today, Some bill paying as well.

Good Morning,

Lovely weather today, although we are in the snow belt Barb spoke of and I believe we have 12-20 inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow into Wednesday. :rolleyes: At least my husband is prepared this time and brought the snow blower out onto the front porch (it's locked to the railing with a bike lock) instead of leaving it locked in the shed.

We have another very busy weekend, Saturday errands and visiting my mother-in-law, then my great-niece slept over, and I managed to get myself roped into making the wedding dress alterations for my sister-in-law, as there's not a shop in the world that would guarantee to have them done in a week. I managed to get about half done yesterday, but I did the hard part first so the rest (moving 2 buttons and adding a couple of darts) should go fast. I also get to take in the waistband of the groom's suit pants. Gotta love trying to plan a wedding in a week. I get it though, she wants to make sure she's married before my mother-in-law isn't able to be there.

I'll say as crazy as weekends have been lately, I'm relieved to come to work on Mondays.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

Morning. The wind gusts were crazy last night!!! And the thunder and lightning. Wow. And the rain, that was nice. It was 76 yesterday and the high today is 55. Wacky. It's going to reach freezing tonight so many frost sensitive little trees will be coming in and covering my kitchen table. For the next few days it will be a forest in the kitchen.

Friday I leave for Burbank. Then Saturday, my sisters and I will join up for the annual Sisters Do Disneyland weekend. We moved it 3 years ago from October to February as the crowds were insane in October. Getting nervous as the shirts are not ready yet. But so far, I'm not out a dime, so if they aren't ready by Thursday I'm not paying for them. I told them I needed them no later than Feb 4th.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!!

Good Morning, all~

We have sunshine and a beautiful looking day till one looks at the temps. But it is to warm up nicely. Cannot not complain for February, it's wonderful! All (most all all) our snow is gone and the grass is green. Sure looks strange.

I'm way behind on planting my Amaryllis bulbs, just did them yesterday. I usually plant them in January and have beautiful blooms for Valentine's Day, but missed this year. They will brighten my kitchen whenever they bloom.

Enjoy the day, all~

JS - I'm a little nervous about the darts on the on the neckline, but I think it will be okay. I had to add a panel to back under the corset strings, which was the tricky part, trying to figure out how to get it to lay flat and not be too noticeable, but better to see the seam I suppose than her panties. My sister-in-law has wider hips and a shorter torso than the friend she got the dress from. I'm glad that I'm able to help too. :)

I can't imagine having to sew someone into a dress with embroidery floss, that would be challenging, but that floss is strong so I'm not surprised it stayed put.

Well, here is a miracle, the sun came out and I see blue skies!!! Robin.....I have been to Disneyland in February, and you picked the right month. It is definitely fabulous. No lines, you can go on things twice in a row with no problems. (It's A Small World is a fav)
Manda, I am in awe at your ability to help out the bride & groom. (I remember being a bridesmaid for a wedding where the dresses arrived an hour 1/2 before the wedding itself, which was at 8 a.m. THAT was toooo close for comfort. Bless your heart, Mandie.

Just had a phone call from a friend who was all upset because she got this phone call from her grandson.....who supposedly was in Nevada, in an accident. Yep, a song and dance about being sick, on anti-biotics, had gone to a funeral and the brunch afterwards, had a couple beers. Did not go well with the anti-biotics, hit a pole, smashed the car, needed money. Don't tell anyone. She said she couldn't did not have any to send, he asked if she could not go to the bank. She told him to call her back.....and immediately called her daughter-in-law, the grandson was sitting right there.
Well, my friend got even more upset, where did they get her phone number? I tried to tell her the phone book, and how they just call random with these scams. She had caller I.D. the phone # came up 000-000-0000. Told her right there let's her know it is a scam, person could be calling from anywhere, right here, New York, Texas, Indiana, CA, . Her husband told her to call police, she said no phone number, so useless. I said.....they ALERT people in the area. She is really upset, though. Hope I calmed her and gave her reasons not to be so worried.

Another beautiful day. I washed rags and hung them outside. Since it's my volunteer afternoon,
I won't get to work in my flowerbed. If tomorrow is nice, I might go another day.

robin, enjoy your sister visit.

manda, sounds like you've had a big weekend with family. Good luck on the alterations.

I hope everyone has a great rest of the day.

Hello, everyone. My morning was different than usual and fun. My neighbor behind me (the one I recently met and borrowed novels from) called to see if I wanted some tilapia fillets. Apparently her father buys them in bulk and she has them running out her ears, lol. She brought me a four pound bag of frozen fillets, each individually vacuum packed. I'm not a big fish eater and didn't expect that much. I took about half to my other neighbor/landlord who owns the fabric and crafts store next door.

While I was there, a lady came in to show my neighbor one of her refurbished jewelry boxes. She picks up old jewelry boxes at yard sales, flea markets, etc. She had done beautiful work and put a lot of detail into it. My neighbor and I were helping her brainstorm ideas to sell her crafts, since she admitted she wasn't very computer savvy. She said she has about 25 to sell.

Just had a phone call from a friend who was all upset because she got this phone call

I got a call Sunday, of all days, didn't recognize the number, so didn't answer. They left a message telling me if I didn't call back, there would be a warrant (or something like that) issued for me. I looked up the 855 area code and it is a toll free number, no actual place. I wasn't going to call them back, anyway, lol!

Take care, folks!

POIROT: next to snow, rain is my favorite weather condition so I delight in it anytime possible! Hope your snow is light & fluffy. My list of "eeney, meeney, miney mo is way too long! Good luck with yours! Just read your 2nd post and glad your friend listened to your wise advice!!

MANDA: you are a master seamstress to take on wedding dress alterations in less than a week. Kudos! Enjoy your slower paced? Monday night!

ROBIN: your "forest in the kitchen" sounds lovely, and fragrant! How exciting to have a Sister's Day at Disneyland. You've just inspired me to share that idea with my sister! Hope your shirts are ready on time.

TROPICAL: oh Amaryllis bulbs sound lovely! I can't remember the last time I had one here. Next year I think I'll borrow your idea from a local florist. Enjoy your Monday.

JS: I have never heard of someone sewing a bride into her gown using cross-stitch floss, using all 6 strands! I love to cross-stitch but JS that is over the top! That couple must adore you as a top friend!!

KAT: bless you for volunteer work! Hope your reward is a beautiful day tomorrow to putz around in your garden!

KT: did you take a picture of the lady's craft jewelry boxes? I would love to see one if you did. Glad you were sharp and did not return that bogus phone call. Have fun today.

Take care everyone and enjoy what beautiful weather comes your way. Hoping no more blizzards this year for those who live East.

Noel, I didn't take a picture. I didn't even have my phone with me. The lady told us what she had done to restore the jewelry box and I was amazed. She cleaned and sanded the surface before putting the finish on, had glass cut for the doors and put lace behind the glass, put meticulous detail into the hardware, etc. She spent a lot of time working on them, apparently. I could tell it was old when I saw it, even without the distressed paint. I'll ask my neighbor if she can get some pictures and send them to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning or afternoon, everyone,

It's dark cloudy day, again. I haven't seen the sun much the last couple of months. I don't mind the cooler days though so it really doesn't bother me too much. I don't do too well in the heat though! It's supposed to shower through the week again.

Today I have to go to the medical supply store and get some larger compression stockings. I have to wear them for swelling. The new ones I got are way to tight and seem to make the swelling worse. I didn't put them on Sat and Sun and went barefoot in the house until bedtime with no swelling or pain.

I really feel sorry for all of you in the path of the new blizzard. I'm praying for you and your families to be safe and have no more damage to your homes.

Hugs to you all,
Joanie

NEWT: happy to know you enjoy the colder weather too. You were smart to remove the hosiery & replace them today with a better fit. Hope your Monday is a great one.

AGUY: Like Manda there is no Meijer here....bummer. Hope you stocked I p on the soup.

Gosh, I must live in a vacuum...never heard of Meijer. LOL
However, just got a coupon pamphlet from out local supermarket, & Campbell's chicken noodle soup and tomato soup are $.50!!

My friend called me back, she did call the police to tell them about the scam call. The cop said yes, they have received a few calls on those already, plus the IRS scam one (you know, a warrant for your arrest as you owe money, unless you pay immediately via some asisine method, lol)
Our newspaper will probably have an "alert" in next weeks' paper now.

Hi everybody. I thought I better post before the Detective became worried about me. I've been reading your posts, though. I still have the darn winter blues and breathing problems from the constantly changing weather . I can't take much more of the 45 degree change in temperature every few days. It is ridiculous for January and now February.

Wow! I didn't know there were still other cross-stitchers here. We had quite a few several years ago, and tried to get a round robin going. Not enough people wanted to commit, and it fell by the way side. Most of those folks are no longer posting.

Amanda - kudos to you for altering the wedding dress.

I swear my blood pressure goes up every time I hear of another scammer. They're disgusting.

I love the quick thinking of sewing the bride's dress with floss!

Prayers continue for everyone.

Is anyone else sick of the presidential candidates? At this point, I don't want to see, hear, or read about any of them from either party. Oh Lordy, I definitely don't want to hear some singer, actor, sports figure, etc., tell me who to support.

SQUIRREL: glad you continue to brave the crazy winter weather schedule. I learned cross stitch as a child but just don't have the time for it now. And I think I may have forgotten to crochet & knit because it's been so long. I cherish the items made for me by relatives. Glad you still enjoy the stitching.

Back