2/17/24 - Donuts and It's Cold

rfsexton

Reaction score
Winter has reared its head again. Monitoring to see if it's going to freeze tonight. If it freezes, I'll have to run the furnace again. I only use it when it freezes. My propane tanks are small and the furnace burns through the very quickly. I use an electric heater when we don't hit freezing.

IT was 17 when I took the BEAST out to potty this morning.... silly me didn't get dressed, just my sleep tee shirt.... it was very cool and I didn't step off the mat.... Vinnie was quick about his morning duty and back into the house.... It's warmed to 25 so a ways to go before it's nice out....
Last night at Hoopfest it was very busy.....I was able to get dinner for both HB and myself so a night of "eating out" that didn't cost a dime.... yesterday one of the schools brought their band and the half time show was Granny B Ball......quite the crowd too..... it was a great deal of fun....

Today many errands to run....

Stay safe.... stay warm....

It was it the 20s when I got up this morning. Since I do Sat errands, I don't walk on Saturday mornings
until it's warmer. It's sunny now and high only in the 30s.

I cleaned my bathroom when I came home from the little library. I'll be doing inside stuff
this afternoon.

rf, be safe with your electric heater.

robin, I'm glad Vinnie was fast this morning. When are you going to celebrate HB's birthday?

I hope everyone has a fantastic rest of the day.

Let's see......it was 4 above zero at 3 a.m. at 6 a.m. it was 10 above. and at noon it was 24........and now the wind is blowing so fiercely, it seems as tho it is a snowstorm, but no, the snow is coming off the roofs, tree branches and yes, even the ground. wicked wind. Weak sun and it keeps disappearing, heavy cloud cover. Was awake so much during night, so about 11 took a nap, lasted an hour, but at least something. But gotta say, was a shock to wake up and see the snow blowing all over the place. Pine trees are swaying every which way, with all their snow covered branches bare as can be........Same goes for the shrubs, (huge ones) . Nope , staying in. Want to laugh, weather forecast says by Tuesday, we will be having a couple days of 40s! LOL. Next weekend is that huge cross country ski race (the Birkebeiner) and they have all kinds of plans in place as there was no snow for weeks here, then we got those couple inches, but they were already making snow for the track. But, instead of 55 kilometers straight, ending in our small town down Main St., they plan on doing a 10 track, going round several times, only at the town where the race usually starts. Tho they had a huge registration for this year (made last year) who know how many may not come because of the lack of good snow. ???

Escaped another big storm. This overnight snow event did stick to car roofs, building roofs, grass and trees, but the sidewalks are clear. Don't know how many inches my area got, but it definitely could have been worse. Only stayed within the complex but could see further out and noticed that walking would be okay outside the development. Maybe tomorrow will venture further. It is 35 now, and the sun actually came out a while ago.

rfsexton: You did the right thing by getting a new heater, can't fool around with these things.

Robin: Sounds like you are the gal about town...stay warm!

Kat: Saturday is my errand day, too. Hope you got everything done you planned to accomplish.

Poirot: I caught a chill reading about your weather, yowza!

Everyone stay warm and safe, Spring isn't that far away!!

1708206177963.jpeg

The funeral this morning was perhaps the sweetest one I've ever attended, and I've been to more than anyone could ever count. (The first one I remember was when I was so young my daddy was carrying me at the graveside). Anyone who ever knew the lady being honored at today's funeral (age 95) agreed she was the sweetest person, who made everyone she met feel special. Any who may not have known her would have agreed to this by the time the service was over. I'm pretty sure I heard some sniffles coming from the couple sitting behind me and they are new to this community.

The wind was brutally cold (no, not by Poirot's standards), 24* when I got up this morning. Well above freezing by the time of the funeral but the wind made it feel otherwise. I don't know how funerals are done other places but our 2 community churches are tiny, with no place to stand around and visit inside, so at the end everybody goes outside and waits for the family to come out. Nobody wears caps or particularly heavy coats. We all just stood around with our teeth chattering and hair blowing sky high. Normally I would have followed to the cemetery, especially since most of my lifelong friends are in this family, but it was just too cold so I came on home. I'm guessing they kept the service at the cemetery pretty short. The good thing was there was no precipitation!

Sexton, I'm sorry about your heater. My son's family has a challenge staying warm in their traveling home during very cold weather. They attempt to plan their travels around milder temperatures, both hot and cold, but it doesn't always work out the way they plan.

Poirot, weather sure can complicate events that require long-range planning. Hope it works out for the ski races.

Kat, I hope the wind didn't blow as much there today as it did here.

Robin, I'm glad you had fun at the Hoopfest. Can't beat getting free food!

Oh no, I'm literally falling asleep now. Hi, W.W.......

@OldCowGirl I live in my trailer full time. Hoping and praying for the day I can get into a house again.

I hope you can too, Sexton. My son, his wife, 4 kids and a cat have lived in their camper full time too, for the past 4 years. They sold their house in Fort Worth and started traveling and they love it. But it definitely is not for everyone. He suggested I get a real small camper and follow along with them. Umm, no.

OldCowgirl do they travel during school time too? If so how do the kids do school?

Sexton, my son and his wife were both homeschooled so it seems only natural for them to homeschool their kids. Also, they are blessed in that my son has a business located in Dallas and he is able to work from just about anywhere, though he has to fly in periodically to take care of things in Dallas. They've met a lot of people who are living the same way and sometimes meet up with the same ones again at different campgrounds, and they've found some churches they like along the way and go back to them. So they do have friends and other kids in their lives.

As bad as public schools have become, I am surprised more parents aren't home schooling. A friend from doll club warned me how bad things were even at the elementary level when I mentioned subbing. I am a retired teacher.

Back