2-19-2018 - Donuts and Presidents Day

Noel

Reaction score
Good late morning my friends. Hope you are warm and feeling fine today.

I am grateful to live in America where we choose our own presidents and are not ruled by dictators or Kings/Queens.

Make it a good holiday and a great start to a new week. If you are working, like me, at least our families have a holiday.

1-Presidents-Day-Wishes.gif

Good morning........once upon a time, we were able to honor our president's individually, but alas, Congress wanted 3 days holidays for themselves, so George Washington (Feb. 22), and Abraham Lincoln's (Feb. 12) days were combined to be celebrated only on the 3rd Monday of Feb. Guess they had to make sure they stayed away from Valentine's Day. Kids used to look forward to Feb. as there was a long time after the Christmas holidays, before they got another day off. LOL

Snowing here, windy, cold, what else is new up here in frigid Wisconsin. LOL...but then, tomorrow they say we might get freezing rain! How fun...........NOT!

I have an errand to run either Tues or Wed., and I do not want icy roads!

By the way, this coming weekend is that big cross country ski race......the Birkebeiner...many international champs come, so the area plays host. I heard on radio that on day of race, something like 30,000 people are around, so sure is a big event.

Good late Monday morn to you.

Last night Hunny Bunny headed to bed at 10. I wanted to finish the episode of Stranger Things I had started in the afternoon. So at 2 am, I made my way to bed having finished season 2. I enjoyed the supernatural series.

But, I'm supposed to be at stepmom's at this moment. So I'll call her and reset the time.

Have a good holiday if this is a day off for you.

No snow here, it's warming up and Spring appears to be almost here. Sunny, upper 70s and cool breezes. I'm in tank tops and flip flops and loving it!

My kids had to go to school today. It is a make up day for the days missed back in September during the hurricane.

Victory for my niece Victoria. She has been highly allergic to eggs all of her life. But her last testing showed drastically less reaction to eggs. So they did a scheduled, controlled food allergy challenge. They had her in a room at the hospital, in a completely controlled setting. They made her a giant muffin. And gave it to her in pieces, increasing the size of the piece each time, and waiting the appropriate amount of time to study for a reaction.

GREAT NEWS, she passed! She is still not allowed to have straight eggs (no raw eggs, no scrambled, deviled, or hard boiled eggs, and no pancakes with eggs). But she is now allowed to have CAKE and COOKIES! And any other item where the eggs are cooked completely after being mixed with flour. If only you all could have seen how big her smile was.

She is the happiest little girl in the entire world, who just found out a few moments ago that her dream of getting to eat birthday cake on her birthday has come true. My sister-in-law (her mama) is already planning a special cake for her birthday in May. And maybe some celebratory cake this afternoon! Haha! Woo-hoo!

BRRRRR - it was 9 degrees this morning and it's supposed to be that way all week. Snow on & off so I guess our "normal" winter weather is back. We became spoiled. I could have enjoyed the 50's awhile longer.

We are working today. the freeway was really quiet this morning and we're really dead here. Oh well, there isn't much we can do at home, so we might as well be at work.

Have a great day!

Before it rained this morning, I was able to walk Goldie and work a
few minutes in my flower bed. The bulbs that started coming up last week
were up over an inch. I weeded around two bunches of them and
covered them with mulch. Then I cleaned my house.

It's been in the 60s today. Rain again this afternoon. Thunderstorms
tonight and tomorrow. I'm not sure how I'll get walking in before school
and Goldie hates thunderstorms.

manda, good news about Victoria

robin. I hope you had a good day with your stepmom.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

Afternoon Everyone,

Sorry for not stopping in sooner, but Gena had the day off of school, to make up for late parent teacher conference nights for the teachers (nope not for Presidents Day) so I took the day off too. We ran some errands this morning as freezing rain is supposed to hit this afternoon/tonight. We concluded our outing with a "gourmet" lunch at Burger King. :rotfl:

We spent the afternoon sorting through her dresser and cleaning her room. I have 2 huge trash bags of clothes to donate that she has outgrown. Some I don't even know where they came from and don't think she ever wore. So some lucky little girls will end up with some nice brand new clothes. We also have half a kitchen size trash bag full of stuffed animals that she's willing to part with.

Dayslady - such good news for Victoria.

Poirot - I'd trade my freezing rain for your snow, although snow with freezing rain on top is worse.

Kat - I'm a little jealous that you get to be out in the flower beds already. Mine are hiding under snow and ice.

Shan - hope work is peaceful for you.

Robin - I'd be completely exhausted if I stayed up that late, but you must have really enjoyed the show to stay up so late watching. :)

Hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shan: well at least traffic is light for those of us working holidays.

Kat: Good luck walking Goldie if it thunderstorms tomorrow. Congrats on your Spring bulbs budding now.

Manda: what a fun day for you and Gena. Isn't it great to teach our children to donate gently used clothes/toys instead of throwing them away?

The dusty wind has blown all day and speed is increasing to 45-64 in the west tonight. Glad we have Olympics to watch.

Noel, no flowers yet, just the leaves coming up. They are surprise lily leaves and I won't
see flowers until later in the year. They won't get much nourishment this week
with all the rain.

manda, sounds like you and Gena had a big day with lunch out and getting rid
of things. How's your hubby doing at his job?

Hi everybody. Finally checking in after a frustrating day. Plus it is still raining buckets here which puts me in an even worse mood.

I was supposed to meet an out of town friend for lunch after her medical appointment here, but her appointment was cancelled. She opted to go to work so no lunch at our favorite place. I can't blame her deciding to make money instead of spending gas and lunch money.

My friend who was released from the hospital (lives in Ohio) called asking if I'd do her grocery shopping and run her errands today since her nephew isn't available. Went to 4 stores and the bank in the pouring rain. Then the check engine light came on in my car. Will have to call the mechanic tomorrow.

Finally did my federal taxes when I got home. (Just finished !) The whole thing gave me starts and fits to correctly file a measly $53 capital gains from last August when MetLife sold off one share of stock that I had no control over. GRRR

Oh my God! If I have to hear Fergie's disgusting rendition of the Star Spangled Banner one more time, I'm going to throw something through my tv. Why on earth did she think that horrible sleazy singing was appropriate? In her apology she said she wanted to do something "special". :sick::sick::sick:

For our Arizona folks. (I live right across the state line where the "t" is in Youngstown.)

Howdy.

Short visit with stepmom. I read all 104 pages of her deposition and helped her sign the form. Also showed her the videos I'd received from my sons as the kids got their Valentine's Day cards.

The wind on the west side of town was a blowing earlier today. We will be cool for the rest of the week. I'll let Noel have her cooler temps. I'll be a shivering at the office tomorrow.

Off to watch more ice dancing.

I'll be watching the ice dancing today, Tues. I had to make sure I changed the channel on
the VCR from
NBCsports to NBC to get most of it. I know who won, but I still want to watch.

kat - in answer to your question about hubby's job, some days he likes it, some he doesn't. He doesn't think he'll get hired on. But seeing that he's the biggest pessimist I've ever met, I can't say I'm surprised. From what I can tell, he's doing well and fitting in pretty well too. Thanks for asking. :)

Thanks so much for all the kind well wishes for my niece Tori (Victoria). I also forgot to share, she is the little sister to my nephew that I have asked for prayers about before in my thread (Life without Food), as he is allergic to all foods. He has a feeding tube so that he can be fed, but he can only eat about 4 things by mouth.

His sister now has yet another thing she can eat that he still cannot. His little heart is hurting, as it's hard when you're 12 and realizing that life just isn't fair sometimes. If you could say a little prayer for him to be happy for his sister.

Thank you!

Back