2-20-2020 - Donuts and Pitch Dark

Noel, thanks for checking in. Hope you can rest a lot and get well soon.

Robin, I hope your knee heals in time to take care of the baby. So sorry it is hurting again!

Poirot, those are fun pictures. What a festive time for your town! Glad you got to the store.

Squirrel, the unruly kids made me think of a news report I saw on our "local" news today. A woman stabbed her man in the neck in a shoe store, after they got into an argument over some boots. It struck me hard at that point, that people are no longer teaching their children self-control. By the time they get to adulthood, they've already formed a pattern of episodes like you saw this morning, and then as adults they commit acts of violence--because they have never been taught that they should and can control their urges and emotions.

Kat, I'm interested in your curtains. I've been trying for 2-3 years to come up with a suitable solution for my sun room.

Manda, we had liver when I was growing up too, and I liked it. I don't think I could bring myself to eat it now, so I feel for Gena.

Rk, I hope your mom gets better faster now. Hoping for you to feel better too.

IamRed. I'm with you on the snow. Let Squirrel have all of it.

The sun came out this afternoon. Nice to see it again.

My friend and I went to three stores to look for curtain panels. We found out
the Bed, Bath and Beyond store no longer sells short panels in the store.
I bought two different curtains at Walmart and tried them out at home. I picked
out the best one. I'll take the one back for a refund and buy three more pairs of
the one I likes. She will have to shorten them, but the price is good. I'll buy
rods and new blinds next month. The office windows will be done first.

rk, I'm glad your mom is feeling better.

Poirot, thanks for the pictures.

manda, I have to agree with Gena about the liver and onions. It's
too bad they couldn't have made something she likes. How did she
do on her cookie sales?

Lil0, enjoy your visit with your friend.

robin, I hope your knee feels better.

red, sorry to hear you got some unwanted snow.

OC, have you thought about getting blinds for your sun room? A lot of the
curtains on the market now are "black out" curtains. They have extra material
on the back to keep out light or maybe people looking in. Instead of saying
curtains on package, they are called
sides panels. You need to be sure and
check labels because some packages only have one panel. Walmart has a
variety of either one or two panel packages. The package I bought has two
side panels. The length is 83 inches and costs $9.98

I’m currently sitting in the dark because of course we’d lose power when it snows. Luckily the trucks from our co-op just went by. Hopefully whatever is wrong isn’t too bad. At least it’s not like when we lose power during a hurricane because you have to wait for the storm to pass before anything can be fixed.

OC, was thinking earlier about blinds for your sun room. I have vertical fabric ones in mine. they should be solid..mine are beige...(my friend in chicago has white. Metal valance over the top, so if you want some color that could be where. GOOGLE

Thanks for the hints on curtains, blinds, etc., Kat and Poirot. I've looked at just about everything imaginable and have bought and returned some at Wal-Mart. It's complicated because the windows were constructed in such a way to make it impossible to fit regular brackets, especially for blinds. The frames are not flat, so no good for brackets. Not enough room on the inside of window frames. If I'd known the trouble, I would have given a lot more attention to how he was building them. I'm about ready to give in and hang rods above the window with the big things that hold in drywall. Haven't wanted to do that but it would probably solve some problems.

OC.....The cornices for the blinds here extend beyond the frames on each side, and above the top of the window. The tracks for the blinds are inside the cornice.....not really touching any part of the window frames at all. Thus one can open the blinds all the way, exposing the entire window if desired. And I do mean the entire window.

OC, you should go to Lowe's or Home Depot. Maybe they can
make blinds that fit your windows.

It does sound like OC needs custom made, have to say, love these here (actually, are mostly on all windows here, if I knew how to get my camera pics onto this site, I would take pics. ) And it would probably work even better if I knew how to operate the Apple tablet that was gifted to me. LOLOL

Poirot, are you close to a library? Maybe someone there can teach you how
to use it. Or
check with your church. Maybe a young person could you :)

Ahhh, Kat............most folks just have phones that do lots, and because we do not have an Apple store here, no one uses Apple products. Small town America.

I would love to be able to open up and expose the entire window. Poirot, are your cornices attached to the drywall? The construction of my room is unusual in that it isn't built on regular studs arranged in the ordinary way. Decades ago my husband tore down the original room that was there and built a whole new frame--out of pipe, which he cut and welded. I'm not sure how my Fixit man attached all the new materials to that pipe but he tore everything down to the pipe and rebuilt, with some design changes. Much larger windows and more of them. The room is mostly windows, with minimum wall space and no wood studs for attaching things. The windows are not set in deep enough to have enough wood to attach a substantial bracket. Your cornices are something different for me to think about. Blinds or curtains either one could be hung from them. I'll have to give some thought as to whether anything like that could even fit into the area around the windows.

Kat, I have blinds in my living room. I measured for them myself and ordered them custom cut online and hung them myself. So the problem with my sunroom windows is not getting the right size shades, it's finding a place to hang the brackets to hold them. I have 12 large windows, including 3 doors with full glass, and at this point I need to take the cost of window treatments for that many windows into consideration as well. At least I do have the windows covered but the curtains are light weight and so can hang on the narrow, flimsy brackets that barely fit on the little bit of exposed wood around the window. But they don't block the sun enough to keep it from being a strain on my eyes.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being disagreeable. I always appreciate any suggestions I get. This is a great place to come for help and good ideas. Thanks for being here for me, in so many ways!

OC, I hope you can think of something to keep the sun out of the room. I know
it's sun room.. maybe you can tint the windows. You can see out, but the sun
wouldn't be so bright.

In my sun room here, I have a huge triple window, a big double, and a double glass door. And yes, the cornices are held by brackets above the window frames, attached to the dry wall. Being they extend beyond the window framing on the sides....(which is actually the entire wall there) when opened completely, the entire window is exposed. The double sliding glass door way, I really only open usually as far as the door, but...you can partially open vertical blinds so the window is still covered, but light is in. I will try and measure how much past the window frame they go. On top, the brackets are fasted to the wall, right above the window frame. Meaning the dry wall. I do like the track is inside the cornice.

Thanks, Kat and Poirot. It's encouraging to know all of that can be hung on the drywall. That's kinda been my hangup all along. I've never hung anything on just drywall before and have been nervous about how well it would hold. I've had visions of it tearing out big pieces of drywall. The rest of my house is old and has solid tongue and groove board behind the drywall. Drywall was added long after the house was built. So no problem hanging things on those walls. Poirot, I'm thinking since the drywall holds your cornices okay, it would probably work with any kind of curtain rods or blinds or whatever I might hang there.

Back