3/18/2024 - Donuts and Winter's Return

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. Yep, Poirot's cold and snow are paying a visit here. The snow started yesterday around 5:00, and is still falling. It was quite a shock to scrape car windows in 24* temps this morning. I hadn't left the defrost on in the car so the windows didn't clear when I remote started the car 15 minutes before I had to leave. Spending the day in the office, but not much to do today. My prep for tomorrow is already done.

Good morning everyone,

Sunny but really windy and yes, starting to get cold here again this week, with rain in the forecast. A shame because we had such mild and even warm, sunny weather the past few days (even decently-crisp nights) that a lot of buds and flowers started to emerge! Hopefully this is the last of it.

I haven't been back here in awhile, so I'll update y'all. After that Phoenix trip in October, I eventually went to Israel. While there I attended a funeral of someone from my kibbutz, who died protecting it (a year younger than me, with a pregnant wife; they married a year prior and were high school sweethearts). It was a very sad time; I know quite a few people, including some from boot camp and my first platoon commander, who have died. It's been really rough emotionally. I donated a lot of my old clothes that I still had in my old apartment, as many folks there are internally-displaced and in need--and I have needed to donate them anyways. I also packed up my remaining things and brought them home when I returned. I have a lot of survivor's guilt and mourning I still need to do, and haven't totally processed everything because the war is ongoing. The army ended up not needing me to be back, so after taking a few final additional days to decompress by the sea with friends and hike a bit, I came back to the States to work.

Then, my job promoted me to general manager at my gym, and I started teaching a few fitness classes as well while also getting certified for a power-yoga type program. The money has been decent, and I picked up a lot of extra hours filling in for people who were sick, on vacation, etc., and also for the owners when they were quarantined at home from coronavirus and the co-owner recovering from an arm sugery. However, it's a six-day per week job (also why I haven't restarted on the summaries) and as someone who is quite introverted and without previous management experience, especially with everything that just was going on while I was abroad and the continuing war, it has been incredibly difficult emotionally. And also, there is a lot of micro-managing on the part of the owners which has become overbearing--especially since they are barely at the gym, and certainly not on weekends, while also not taking advice from myself or other long-term employees on how to improve the business. So today I'm going to give my notice and help them find a new manager with more experience, and train that person so I can step down in this role. I'm still going to hopefully be teaching the fitness classes and filling in when necessary for shifts when folks are on vacation; however, I need to have more time to take care of myself and spend with my loved ones (not much time has been available for that, unfortunately, due to clashing work schedules and work trips my parents take). I have some online research work and applied to some new jobs, so that should help carry me over in the meantime, while I finish up my personal training certification, which hopefully can get me another job at my gym.

I have been in a relationship with a paramedic 4 years older than me, for five months now. He is great; I joined him and some of his family in November on a trip to Universal Orlando, then we took another trip in January to South Florida. Later this week, I'm going to meet his extended family in an Indiana suburb of Louisville, KY; sadly, part of the reason is that his grandmother has cancer and doesn't have much longer to live, and he wants me to meet her. We will be making it a road trip, and are also looking at moving in together at some point over the summer. So, lots has been going on, and I plan on being on here more often.

Hope everyone has been doing well and has a good--LAST!--day of winter.

46 and sunny in NY after a milder weekend. Not complaining.

redsquirrel: Hope your snow does not amount to much.

DaysD: So nice to hear from you and saddened by your loss. You have been living what we are only reading about. Thank you for the update on your life. I am sure you will land another great gig that better suits where you need to be during this time in your life. Happy to learn of your relationship. He sounds like a fine man, taking you to meet his critically ill grandmother speaks volumes. He wants her to know that he is with a wonderful person and will be okay. My prayers go out to his family during this difficult time.

1710774810511.jpeg

Last edited:
DaysD, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends and colleagues. It sounds like stepping down from the promotion is the best thing to do for you.
Your guy sounds like a definite keeper. You deserve the happiness with him.

robinsnest - safe travels today in that traffic. Enjoy the visit with your niece.

WW - Enjoy the temps. Your turn with the cold will probably come again.

It's sunny and in the 40s now. It was in the 30s when I walked this morning.

A busy morning for me at church. I got the recycling out and had to switch envelopes in the pews
for ones with Easter/Lent. I decided on the way home to have my hair appts on Tues instead of
Monday. My hair place is close by and I won't have go to church on Tues which is summary day.
Tomorrow I'll have PT, but that's only one time on that day. Tax time this afternoon.

DaysD, thanks for the update about your life. Sorry to hear your lost friends in Israel. I'm glad you're
no longer there. Good luck with getting a better job and I hope things work out with your fellow.
Are you still planning to study overseas? I think you were talking about before war broke out.

rs, I'm glad you don't have to do much driving today in the weather.

robin, safe journey and enjoy dinner with the niece.

I hope everyone is having the best day they can.

FYI, if you have Peacock "The Nanny" starts today.

Hi everyone!

DaysD- I'm so sorry for your loss and pain. Prayers for you for comfort and peace.

in other news...
I "talked" with Linsey Godfrey (Sarah Horton) sort of on my lunch break today and it kind of made my day. So- I'm on TikTok (I know many of you don't like that- but I love it) and she was LIVE on her page. So I popped on and said hello, told her I was a long time days fan. She said my name to acknowledge my comment and said hello back. I asked her who her favorite actor/actress to work with and she named a few including Stacey Haiduk (Kristen) and Paul Tefler (Xander), then added she really loves everyone on the show actually, she just works with those two the most so they were first to pop in her head. I also told her I love her character Sarah Horton being paired with Xander, that the two of them and baby Victoria are my current favorite pairing on the show- she smiled and said thank you! She also talked a bit about the meaning behind her tattoos (matching with mom and sis reflecting on her cancer she had as a teenager) - this was because of someone else on the live commented and asked. It was actually really cool to "chat" with her in real time! She is really down to earth and sweet!

Too much rain yesterday
Angleton which is due NE of me got clobbered Friday. Massive damage. Just rain where I live. Angleton is still picking up the pieces. They had to cancel school today.

Currently 61 feels like 59. We will wake up in the 40s tomorrow

Back