3/21/24 - Donuts and Bad Weather

Good morning and MEEEEEEEERYYYYYY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE. Winter has set back in but it is not cold. It's actually very nice to walk in and Watson, being part husky, is LOVING the snow. Yesterday there 72 collisions on Calgary roads by 8am and we had 10 - 12cm of snow fall. I woke up this morning and am watching the news and so far there have been 114 collisions of the roads with about 10% of them where there were injuries then about 20 more that were hit and runs. Today we are to have another 10cm of snow fall but it isn't accumulating all that much because as the day goes on the roads become a slushy mess. I had to take Mike to the airport yesterday as he is out in the Okanagan visiting his parents for a few days, and what usually is about a 25 minute drive, turned into an hour 5 minute drive due to congestion. A snow warning is in place but really, we are used to this. We need the moisture is a bad way.

My buddy will be heading back to his own place tomorrow and he is in a better place. As he leaves, my nephew and his girlfriend will be arriving for the weekend, on Saturday I'll pick Mike up, my other nephew will be coming for the night on Saturday, then Sunday it's back to the airport to drop off my nephew and girlfriend for their vacay in Vancouver. Next week we'll be hosting my entire family of 18 when we're all together and after that, we both said, no more company for a few weeks. LOL!

Have a great day everyone and if weather is bad, stay safe. I have to go the office for a few hours but will wait until rush hour dies down.

Wow, Muzza, you have a lot on your plate for a while. Good luck, have fun.
We will be getting the bad weather later today, tonite, and into the weekend. Yep, they are talking lots of snow.......perhaps 5-6".....could have appreciated it around Christmas, tho. LOL. Have a medical appt. this a.m. will try and get a couple things I forgot at store, and get back quick as I can. It's pretty cold out, just 14°.
You know, I should not be surprised, in the past, we have had blizzards in April, and snow falling in May. Never know up north. Take care everyone.......

Morning all..... we have "unsettled" weather for the rest of the week.....as it's all new to me, I'll just keep an eye on it.... will be heading out to the dealer to drop the car off, routine maintenance, the dog to day care, then back to the lovely moving two storage units into one storage unit.... we need to be out and I need to be finished..... HB's finally received his oral surgery appointment, April 11th, I'm not sure he will have any tongue left... but he finally agreed to try dental wax so he does get some relief..... he has to be off the blood thinners for 5 days before they can do the surgery..... it's never ending sometimes....
I have plants in the pots outside and we are going to get to freezing over the weekend in the overnight lows..... come on....... yes Poirot you warned me not to plant before the end of May.... but the days have been nice..... :cry:

Ah, yes, the days will be so nice, makes you eager to get those plants going out there......but alas, it is always just winter having a rest period, playing games.
Can you bring the plants inside, or perhaps into the garage (if you have one).
I learned the hard way.......trouble is, you can get a year or two, where it is just an early spring that really is an early spring, and you think that is the USUAL, and getting the cold spell or snow/sleet in April or May was just a once in a while thing......but in reality, tis the other way round. LOL

It's cloudy and only in the 50s now. Rain is on the way. I get low temps early next week.

I was going to work outside after lunch, but since it's chilly this afternoon I'll work on taxes.
Someone is burning and it's really smokey outside now. Tomorrow I have to have blood
drawn again since one test needs to looked at again.

rf, I hope you won't get too much bad weather today.

OC, I hope you figured out something to eat after your blood test.

Muzzaman, did everyone forget how to drive on winter roads since there were so many
accidents? Take care with the driving and have a good weekend and family visits.

robin, good luck getting the storage sheds things moved to one.

Poirot, I hope you're home now and you can stay home a few days.

Wishing everyone the best possible day.

Katmouse, it seems that people do forget how to drive after a spell of really nice weather and driving conditions. But Tuesday morning, the snow would fall and immediately make icy conditions along with slush that grabs your wheels. Just braking a little bit sends you sliding. Too many people in a hurry and not leaving enough time for patience and a longer commute. Good luck getting your taxes complete. I still need to do this.

Robin, it seems everytime you post you about to go on a road trip. You sure cover a lot of ground. Thta's great and nice to see various parts of your country.

Poirot, drive safe, my friend.

Rf, Stay safe. I can deal with a lot of weather conditions but tornadoes would be scary. I guess it's like extreme weather conditions where ever you live........you deal.......but tornadoes just seem that much worse than the cold or extreme snow.

Good afternoon everyone. Another cold day here but it is filled with sunshine.

Working on getting the new referral packets sent out to parents of kids who failed their screenings yesterday. Just hope I get them all done before the postman comes in the building.

Muzzaman - stay safe up there. Sounds like there are a lot of crazy drivers in your city. Hope Mike has nice weather out in BC while visiting his family.

Poirot - There are little silicone clips or loops that will keep your eyeglasses from knocking your hearing aid off. You'd have to ask at either the optician's or the audiologist's about them.

Am I the only one with "nice" weather today? Not exactly what we think of as nice. It has been cloudy with big clouds that look like the bottom is about to drop out. Also high humidity. But nothing more than mist or sprinkles and not even that in most places. Still, it was warm enough for me to go without a jacket so I consider that nice.

Muzz, before reading all the other comments on your weather and traffic conditions, I was thinking it sounds like the people there don't drive much better in snow than they do here in Texas. But now I see what you mean about the ice and slush, etc. Stay safe. My head got dizzy just reading about all your company. It's kind to open your home to those who need a comfort zone.

Squirrel, I hope you got your packets done.

Sexton, I hope your light rain only pattern continues. We have chances of storms this evening but I don't know if anything severe is expected.

Kat, I know people need to burn things at times but it always bugs me when they do. Hope the smoke has cleared out by now. Get those taxes done, girl! :) Maybe you won't have to mail a check to Uncle Sam like I did today.

Robin, poor HB, it sounds like he's in considerable pain. Him with his mouth and you with your hands, and both of you under pressure to get storage buildings straightened out. I wish you could catch a break and just kick back and rest for a while.

Kat and Poirot, thanks for your suggestions for food after my labs. I ended up just taking a piece of bacon and some Coke. Had that on the way home, then ate my regular breakfast after I got here. Soon it was time to go back to town for the doctor visit. My lab reports were good but I've been having some pain in a hip for a while so he sent me back to the hospital to get X-rays on that. I also went to the bank and post office, and ate a hamburger at a place called, Bombers Burgers. Last but not least, a visit to the grocery store. Came home and picked up some twigs and small branches in the yard, in hopes the mower guy will come soon. It's getting pretty snaky in my yard. Grass is green and lush. Best time of year for that. We've stopped feeding cows.

I have a very tiny small problem, one I hope you guys might be able to tell me what I can/should do.
You all know my husband passed away about 2.5 years ago. This place is a 2 bd.rm. , 2 full baths. The other bedroom is still furnished the same way, has a single bed. However, family (talking of my children) when coming to visit do not to stay here. And yes, they have come to town, alone, but stay at a motel. My son said something once about not wanting to sleep in "dad's bed".........even tho dad rarely did, being he was in hospital, nursing home, etc. My husband passed away in the hospital, up in Duluth, not at home.
So what do I do? get a different bed, a double? (which is what was discarded when we got the single bed, which hubby probably only spent a total of 2 weeks using in, just a day or two here or there). Turn the room into a comfy TV room for the occasional guests? Use it to store stuff I really don't use or want to get rid of? Do I get a second single, tho not really enough room? Am in a quandary. There is a dresser and chiffarobe (tall dresser) I would just give away. Just am at a loss here.

Last edited:
Poirot, maybe you can give away the single bed and get a sleeper sofa. That way if someone comes they have
a place to sleep. A couch would be fine in the extra room and you can make it a bed if someone stays over.

OC, I'll be getting a refund. I take taxes out from social security check and I paid an estimate

rs, I hope you got everything ready in time to mail.

Back