3/28/16 - Donuts and birthday cake

katmouse

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, redsquirrel.

I hope you have a wonderful day

b4ced67ee79b95d508f64a0e838b2ad7.jpg

Happy birthday to you! Those cakes are awesome.

We just got icing bags, couplers and tips for my daughters to ice with to try something new. For Easter they made a spring cupcake display with grass, flower, sky, sun and cloud colors displayed in scene on a baking sheet. It was super cute.

I hope you all had a great holiday. We celebrated on Saturday because I had to take my oldest back to college on Sunday. My ex was here because he comes on all holidays. We played Rock Band and Trivial Pursuit. Nice that we always do the family thing no matter what.

The girls cooked everything and it turned out great. Then they informed me that they used a can of Coke to cook the ham. Definitely not something I would do lol.

I have been having pain on my right ankle and it has been giving me trouble walking, but I have pain pills and an appointment in May to see my doctor so I am like just tough it out. Now my left knee has been giving me terrible pain so bad that I have to use my cane in my house.

There really is no point in fighting to get an earlier VA appointment because I am on a pain contract and I do not want my records spread out if I get referrals or something. Hopefully it will all resolve itself without needing more attention or medicine.

No school today so what will we do? Probably video games and movies so I can stay sitting down.

I hope the sun shines for you all and everyone has a great day.

Happy Brithday RS, it's not a cake, but this photo made me think of you. :)
th

Had a nice quiet Easter, made a ham with a Teriyaki glaze for just the 3 of us as the boys all had plans with their mom.

Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Good morning. Squirrel, here's wishing your the best birthday ever! If cakes could do it, then you've got it made. It's fun to see all the wonderful, fun pictures that come up!

YPG, I hope your pain eases up. I don't know what kind of weather you're having but if fronts are moving through, as they tend to do this time of year, that can make body pains worse for a lot of us. It's nice your girls cooked the meal for you.

I was out on the deck at 35* this morning, cooking bacon in a skillet. My toaster oven is so grease-coated from cooking bacon, I can't use it until I clean it up. The skillet idea didn't work as well because I had to stand over it to keep the wasps out (yes, they were starting to move at 35*), and the wind was light and variable, so all the steam/smoke was swirling and coming up in my face. I can't win, when it comes to cooking! I already want to go back to bed. But I need to go get some groceries. It's been a week since I went to the store. Most of the rest of the week will be tied up with home health people coming and a couple of other things. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful day here though! I have cardinals galore these days. So pretty with any season.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful birthday wishes. The cakes and photos are beautiful.

The girls got me when I came to work at 6:45 this morning. My office area was (and still is) decorated with balloons, and we had a scrumptious cake for breakfast. Then I had to go out in the cold nasty rain to go to a new site in my southern county. My boss thought I said "nude site" at staff meeting, and asked if he could go with me. LOL

I cooked a small ham Saturday so I'd have ham for lunches and dinners this week. I did it in the crockpot with a little cherry Dr Pepper poured in the bottom and pineapple chunks over the top. YUMMY! My sister did a ham yesterday from Costco, and it was very good, too.

My sister told me to sit down yesterday because she had something very important to tell me before they picked up my other sister for dinner. (Everyone had such serious looks on their faces.) She said not to be upset that we aren't doing birthday or Christmas presents this year. When I said I was good with that, she said great because...........they all shouted "We're going to Cancun for Christmas!" I'm so excited!!! It will be my sister, brother-in-law, niece, nephew, nephew's new wife, her parents, and me. My new niece's best friend growing up owns a mystery destination travel agency in Pittsburgh. She's arranging an all inclusive package for our trip, and is not charging her usual fees. Plus she's giving us the employee discount.

OC - I cook bacon in the microwave. I wrap a few slices in paper towels before them on a plate. It only takes about 2 minutes. When done, I throw away the paper towels. The greasy paper towels go straight in the garbage, and take the smell with them.

YPG - I hope you get relief from your pain.

Manda, my daughter won't eat any kind of sauce on anything, if it has the least bit of a sweet flavor. No sauce on her BBQ or anything. It makes a lot more work to come up with things for picky eaters, but it sounds like you have handled the challenge.

To change to a yucky subject.....I have been catching mice in my truck every night. Guess they got over the peppermint smell. One night I set two traps and caught two. There seems to be no end in sight. Now for the really gross part--it appears that mice are cannibals. Something has been getting in there and eating the heads off the mice that are caught in the trap. Nothing else can get in there. It has to be other mice.

I've decided not to go shopping today. I think I am getting burnt out on everything. I don't want to do anything but go to bed, all the time. If I still got paper grocery bags, I would put one over my head. Not quite desperate enough to put a plastic one over my head yet. :eek: :rotfl:

Squirrel, your ham sounds very good. (YPG's with the Coke sounded good too). The pineapple and Dr Pepper together--yum! Well, I almost cried when I read about your surprise of the Christmas trip. That is just wonderful. It will be so fun, not only to do, but to look forward and plan for it in the coming months!

I used to cook bacon in the microwave. Not sure why I stopped. Bacon is one of the best-tasting things in the world to me, but it seems so messy to cook, no matter how I do it. And even bringing it into the kitchen after cooking it outside leaves a smell in the house for a long time. Not a bad smell, but I'm just so doggone sensitive to all of them. What I do now is cook up a whole package at one time, then quickly warming up a couple of slices at a time in the microwave doesn't get the house too saturated with the smell.

All those ham glazes sound yummy. I grew up eating country ham because that kind of ham is very popular in Virginia.

OC, I think you and I are a lot alike in regards to smells. I'm more likely from smelling perfume than I am from drinking a glass of red wine (which may or may not give me a headache). I have to be careful when buying soap, lotion, shampoo, and laundry detergent.

rs, sounds like you will have a fabulous Christmas this year.

Yesterday for Easter, I went to church with the boyfriend, had lunch with his parents, brother, and grandmas. His brother was wearing his navy uniform so people kept coming up to our table and thanking him for his service. Then we hung out for a while before having dinner with my parents, brother, sister-in-law, and niece. My niece got multiple Easter baskets. We might have overdone baby's first Easter a little.

Working 3-10 and then off again tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Happy Birthday RS and what a fantastic surprise for Christmas/Birthday! I would take Cancun over a birthday gift any day.

I went and placed my vote on Saturday and the High School where they held our caucus was packed! Had the kids over for dinner yesterday and besides the rain and horrible hail storms we had, it was a really nice day.

Drove to work in the snow this morning but it's melting away now, thank goodness. They keep saying we will be in the high 60's by this weekend. I will believe when I see it.

I bake my bacon.

Preheat oven to 350°, bake on parchment paper for ten to twelve minutes and voila.

No need to stand over the stove, easily cooked on both sides, no need to spray parchment paper which is super durable so no tears and grease leaking onto your cookie sheet which equals easy cleanup, place on plate and blot grease with paper towels.

YPG, I usually cook mine in the toaster oven on bake, but I had never heard of using parchment paper. I may have to try that. I use heavy foil so it probably comes out about the same way. Need to clean up my toaster oven though. It got to smoking.

My internet was hardly working the past two days. Just spots here and there where I could read or post, but mostly not. Called the provider tonight. They seem to have fixed it, though it's still a little bit slow.

IamRed, yes, we do sound similar in smells. I have to buy all cosmetic and cleaning products in fragrance free or else make my own. Thank goodness a lot are available to buy now. I had a time of it years ago!

Back