3-30-17 - Donuts and More Rain

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. We're waterlogged here again. The monsoon has returned. The weather folks are calling for clear skies sometime before the worst of it comes tonight and tomorrow. Oh well, I have to work Friday and Saturday so it won't be as if I'm missing some prime outside time.

I was supposed to go to a training today in Erie, PA, right up next to Lake Erie. (Just love the view there.) I called to see what their weather was like, and the lady in charge said not to come. She had just hung up from scheduling the same training at a place in my town for the end of April. I'm super happy of having a 10 minute round trip instead of 4 hours.

For April followers, no calf so far this morning.
86b18eec00b68ff0723e591a6e500861.png

Last edited:
Good morning......we are overcast again, grey skies, etc. but it seems the rain is south of here. EauClaire is having "light rain", and the radio even said it was "lightly raining" all the way down in Milwaukee.

Watched Designated Survivor last night....such a good show. Was fun as an ex-president came to see the current president, and each are calling the other "Mr. President". (ex Presidents always retain that title).

LOL, JS, am guessing you mean April, the giraffe. I read an interview, where they said it is difficult to calculate arrival date, because the possible time to conceive stretches over a 2 month period. They really did jump the gun in starting that video cam. She was not even showing as much as she is now.

I've learned a lot about giraffe's from the park. A giraffe is in heat every 15 days. (Yikes!) Calculating from the last time that the zoologists saw April and Oliver mate, she should've had the calf in the original two week time period they had calculated. As they've since said, apparently she did not become pregnant then. The two must've bred at least two or possibly three more times out of sight of the keepers to bring her up to this week without a baby giraffe.

The video cam was started as a way for the owners, keepers, and the vet to keep tabs on April when they were not in the giraffe barn. It was not online for the first week they had it. Then the exotic animal food company that they purchase from persuaded the owner, Jordan, that they'd supply one month of free giraffe food and pay for live streaming if they could have their logo displayed on the stream. Jordan went for it as a way to not only promote the park but also the plight of giraffes in the wilds of Africa. When that company pulled out after the month, there were several days without a sponsor until ToysRUs stepped in.

Last edited:
Oh, man, Reagan did not even know he had been shot, as the secret service man pushed him into the limo. The one agent was shot in the stomach, and James Brady in the head. But the news was full of Reagan still having quite the sense of humor in the O.R. as he joked......Hope you are all Republicans. LOLOL

OC......yep, got one, did not fill it out, and yep, they called. It is law. (have a cousin who worked for the Census Bureau for years, asked her. Yep.

And just saw a story/pic of a family who did not know that a BEAR had hibernated for the winter under their porch. A neighbor happened to notice the nose at the edge, snapped a pic, showed the owner, they called the DNR or whoever, and the bear ran out and up a tree in front of the house. LOL. Evidently under the porch steps was just the sort of cozy cave like area that was perfect. Ha. Now, tons of folks are coming by to snap pics of the bear in the tree, & the home owner plans to seal that "cave" area up right away.

Reminded me of the bear in the tree in town, a few years ago, who finally came down, wandered across the 4 lane busy highway, the parking lot and into the supermarket, straight into the liquor dept. Store cams have pics of him meandering up and down the aisles, until he went into the huge back cooler area, right thru the doors, climbed up some shelves, fell asleep under the Hamm's beer sign. Toooo funny. (yes the store was evacuated, DNR called, cops, the bear was tranquilized and transported to the large forest area, and released.

JS, I would've refused to answer all of those questions, too. Talk about identity theft waiting to happen. Plus people will know when you're at work so they can break in. I don't even want to think about all of the other horrible things that could happen from them getting that info.

Howdy all.

Wow, those census questions. And the trouble I get into when I refuse to give my SSN to the doctor. The "we need it for billing." Ahh, why? Wyou have my BC/BS ID Number. You have me. I'm not giving that to you. NO. Stop asking.

At my weight doctor's office, on the chart,it says don't ask for SSN. Apparently I was snarky? One morning, but at my regular doctor, every time I go in, I have to fill out forms. EVERY single time I have to fill out the HIPAA form. Why? I have no idea. The answer is still NO, you can not share my information with anyone. Every time.

But now that congress has approved Cox, my internet server provider (ISP), the permission to sell my search history, I expect a ton or more junk calls, emails, and general annoying folks coming upon me. Asking if I need compression socks. Or am interested in menstrual products, since I have recently searched those items.

April is not as active this morning. I do check on her every now and then. And since child one was due March 23rd and came April 9th, I know what it's like to have EVERYONE in your WORLD staring at you as if you were supposed to be doing something. Child two came on due date. Child three was a stray I took in. Don't know where he was on the due date/arrival thing.

Ack, back to work. Clients with issues.

Another dreary day here. High only in the 50s.

rs, I'm glad you're not out in the rainy weather today.

Poirot, I started watching Designated Survivor over the weekend.
I was able to catch the early episodes before ABC took
them down.
I'm watching episodes from Nov. now.

Noel, I hope your dental surgery went well.

robin, I hope I don't get more annoying calls because what Congress did.

manda, you can still send me some snow :)

Happy Birthday Remmy.

I hope everyone has a pleasant afternoon and evening.

The one I got was NOT invasive, was only 4 pages, WAS from the U.S. Census, they only called me once, about 3 months after I got it. I did have it here, but ignored it.

Good evening all. I know it's been quite a while and I can't remember when I posted last. We've all been well...and busy. The girls have been busy with school. Ava was the first kindergartner to reach 20 points in the Accelerated Reader program they do in school. Annabelle has had a few field trips and got into the gifted and talented program. They'll pay for a summer camp program at the local university for her this summer.

We've also had Little League melodrama. Long story short, we're not with the league in our town this year (and likely not next year after all the hassle). It was basically two weeks of a back-and-forth of "we have a team for Ava, no we don't but we can put her on the t-ball boys team, no the boy's coordinator didn't agree to that (4 full days after we offer it as a done deal to you), wait we can put her on a team with girls twice her size, then neither girl was added to the roster after all". So now, both girls are in the league in our county seat instead, which has multiple elementary schools that play against each other. They allow kids to transfer in from out of town schools and be placed on teams. So, we'll see how that goes. At least they'll both get to play, which was all I was trying to do.

I've slowed down a bit on reading, but I've been trying to catch up on rewatching Twin Peaks before the return of it on Showtime and catching up on some other shows. I've also started trying more audiobooks. I've never been able to listen to a book and preferred to read instead of listen, but I'm finding I can do more nonfiction in audiobook form without getting to lost in my own thoughts or sidetracked. So when I'm outside feeding the pigs and listening to biographies and history books. LOL!

Back