56 Years Ago today: Ed Mallory debuts as Bill Horton

Jason47

Reaction score
Here's Ed Mallory's first day at work as Bill Horton, Episode # 158. A special report about the moon preempted "Days" on June 16, 1966, pushing this episode to June 21.

7a3f9213aed81c4e446b2efc3e7308d6e67b614f.jpg

046e10e60d045e1bcabeffd185cb34d28fe89f85.jpg

Jason, I have no idea how you manage to come up with these gems from by gone Days.....
Also, as I look around so much clutter & saved items in my own home, am curious as to where/how you store them? Special file cabinet. Big chest?

Wow.... did I read that correct Taped this show June 13th and Aired June 20th only a week's delay.....

We can only dream these days of the ability to change stories that aren't working..... before they run the course...

If you think that's quick, when the actor's strike ended in 1967, "Days" was just going to run out of new episodes the next day. So they taped the April 12, 1967 episode on April 11, 1967. They taped that episode just 16 HOURS before it aired on the East Coast!

Jason, I have no idea how you manage to come up with these gems from by gone Days.....
Also, as I look around so much clutter & saved items in my own home, am curious as to where/how you store them? Special file cabinet. Big chest?

For the script covers and telecast reports, they actually only take up two shelves of a filing cabinet. For a lot of those, I only ever received via scans, so they don't "exist" other than on the computer (plus that helps save a lot of space!).

Wow.... did I read that correct Taped this show June 13th and Aired June 20th only a week's delay.....

We can only dream these days of the ability to change stories that aren't working..... before they run the course...

Plus remember back in 1966, they didn't have the ability to edit. They would literally tape the first scene, then run the tape for a minute of black screen so New York (which had editing capabilities) could eventually add in the commercial, then tape the second scene, then run black for the remaining commercials. So once the show completed taping each day, it was fully ready to be sent to New York. That's how, like I mentioned above, they were able to get the episode on the air after just taping it 16 hours earlier.

I remember reading in a memo from Betty Corday awhile back that she told Bill Bell that the "tape man" (I think is how she called him) was very expensive to use whenever Bill Bell wanted to use flashbacks, since they'd have to hire this special guy to sit there all day and insert the flashbacks, since they had to be inserted wherever needed in the episode as they were taping the episode.

Back