7/12/17 - Donuts & thunderstorms

I'm glad I went out early this morning and did yard work. It's almost 90 now. With
humidity it feels like 100.

DaysD, I mow in the afternoons because the yard is so wet in the AM. When I mow the
big side, I do about half. I go inside and rest for about an hour before I finish it. I'm going
to try to mow myself most of this month. I'm trying to save money since I spent so much
on Goldie when she was sick.

Good afternoon. I finally got to the store today. I was out of all the staples. I found some steaks and nice pork chops marked down, so I nabbed those, lol. I can look forward to having a filet Mignon tomorrow and I plan to make kebobs with the top sirloin. I'll probably freeze the chops.

I bought Remmy a new stuffing free toy and she is in hoarding mode. She finally decided it was OK to go outside for a few seconds, but couldn't wait to get back in and make sure her toy was still there, lol. The new will wear off by tomorrow, I imagine.

I haven't heard from my mother today, but my niece stayed with her last night.

Take care.

Hmmm, I found a perfect pic for you OC, but it won't let me copy & paste, or even share it.

But it is just a pair of jean clad legs, cowboy boots, intact, however the entire foot part was cut off on top and made into a flip flop. it said Texas summer on it. I laughed so hard. My son lived in Houston for 7 or 8 years, & there are boots and hats here he never wore again. LOL

RS is right about failing drug tests, I heard that many times already, so figure that may be in the next article.

But also, these young people will take a job, work for a day or two, show up late, hung over, etc. get some pay, and never show up again.

OC: sweet sleep friend after a long hot day.

Poirot: several people responded to my social media posts about the lack of young people taking summer jobs. Some replied they don't have to work with unemployment, welfare, food stamps and student loans. No work required for money than a job. This generation, in part, seem like spoiled takers. We all want to help the poor and unhealthy, but this is not right. These young people are robbed of the satisfaction of industry and pride of personal accomplishment. :huh:

Yep, A Guy, those exactly! LOL thank you!

Noel, I want to wish you the very best for your surgery tomorrow. You will be in my morning prayers, God Bless!

Isn't it amazing that these young people are not required to prove need. My kids had to prove they had summer jobs (for college) and during the college year, despite loans and grants, were required to take a job at the school. Even if just 10 hrs. per week.

And so today, everyone opts for the free ride. Maybe the govt. needs to take a closer look at those cases.

But then, if they all are anything like Salem's INS agent on Days, it is no wonder. :)

Ooooohh, A Guy's site he found let me copy the image........
920x920.jpg

I looked at the girl and said you couldn't have called me? I turned around and left. Nobody is worth a 2 hour wait.

I had the same thing happen with my neurologist. I started out and the receptionist said it would be a $25 charge for a missed appointment. I responded with, "I'll send you a bill for the $32 an hour I'm not making because I'm sitting here in the office. Any amount of time over 15 minutes and you get the entire hourly charge." Strangely enough, they let me go without the fee. I call now like at a restaurant and see how long it will take till "seating".

Noel - you will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow. Maybe it will even rain and cool things down.

Poirot and A. Guy, thanks for getting the picture on here. Priceless! And about right for something you'd see here in Texas. Most people here really love their boots AND their flip flops, so there you go. I'll have to tell my daughter about these. I fuss at her every time she comes out here wearing her flimsy flip flops. If you take a few steps outside of my yard, you are in cactus and weeds of every sort with stickers and thorns. I was proud of her for wearing her boots the last time.

Robin, you did what many of us have wanted to do--and it worked! :clap:

Noel, thanks for the good sleep wishes. As my mother's cousin used to say when she was up in her 90s and had trouble sleeping, "I put on my gown, just in case." :). I'll be hoping for a good report from you on your surgery, when you are able to use the computer. I'm thinking it could be a while though.

Poirot, you're so right about people just coming for a few days and then never coming back! One girl was hired early last year at the co-op as a cashier (back during my days as a grocery stocker). She came for about two weeks regularly, kept calling out sick after that, eventually stopped coming, and later gave the excuse of school. She then had the gall to call this summer asking for a job and was told there wasn't any room. She decided it would be better to come into the store and beg my supervisor for it, only to be told no once again. You can imagine how upset my supervisor was! There was room for more cashiers (they later hired other people), but she wasn't going to take back such an unreliable employee.

Do you share a bite of filet mignon with Remmy?

Of course! She wouldn't have it any other way, lol!

Isn't it amazing that these young people are not required to prove need. My kids had to prove they had summer jobs (for college) and during the college year, despite loans and grants, were required to take a job at the school. Even if just 10 hrs. per week.

I'm like others here. I babysat, raked leaves, painted murals, any odd jobs I could get, until I turned 16 and could drive myself to a "real" job. I worked two jobs while in undergraduate school. 15 hours between classes at the university and another after school. No one was paying for my education! It means a lot more to me because I worked for it.

As my mother's cousin used to say when she was up in her 90s and had trouble sleeping, "I put on my gown, just in case."

:rotfl::rotfl:

My work life began at 8. Don't remember much detail, but got up very early, and actually did something. Probabably 1 day a week, in warm weather. The rest is history. :)

My son got a modest allowance. Did not want him to work during the school year; I told him that school was his job. Junior year, I think, he decided that he needed more than the modest allowance, and got a job at a video store. He has worked ever since; has a post-grad degree. :)

Back