7/3/2021 - Donuts and Dreary Skies

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning. I think it's still morning. The sky isn't telling much about the time of day. A rain shower woke me up at 6:30. Only a couple of tenths but off and on spurts throughout the morning have added up to half an inch. It's been a strange summer so far.

Nothing much to tell. I've been puttering around. I decided to fill the water pan for the birds and other critters, since the cows are not around for now. They were here last evening and early this morning. I saw a cardinal so I decided to put out a little bit of birdseed, along with some orange peels with some "meat" in them. The butterflies like them, if the birds don't go for them. I had bought two oranges from the same bin. Turned out one was so dry on the inside, most of it was inedible. So I cut the other one in half, assuming it would be the same. It was the nicest, juiciest orange you could imagine! So I ate most of it. Now my throat is itching, even my hands, from handling the orange, even though I have scrubbed them with soap. This is why I don't eat fruits much. Most of them have this effect on me. Some vegetables too. Especially bad if eaten raw.

It's pouring rain now. I hope all of you have a good Independence Day weekend. Thinking of you in your loss, Nana.

It was in the 50s when I walked this morning so I wore long pants. I did my usual errands this morning.
After I put the groceries away, I trimmed along the ditch behind my house. I should have used bug
spray since the mosquitoes thought I was tasty. I took a shower when I came in since the computer tech
will be here early this afternoon.

I need to eat lunch. Then start making the potato salad for tomorrow.

OC, I hope you get just enough rain today.

I hope everyone has a nice day and tomorrow.

On June 20 we were 16 1/4 hrs. of daylight. with sun rising at 5:15. Today, it says 15 hr.38 min. of daylight, sun rising at 5:21. I know the sunset is seconds earlier every day, so by end of July, we'll be 14 hr. 47 min. of daylight. Those few seconds in a.m. and in p.m. all add up.

Does seem things happen more often on weekends, especially extended ones. Bless those who work them. Hope things go better, Robin.

We are to hit 90s today and tomorrow. Georgia daughter should be arriving some time late this afternoon. Long drive for them.

I'm using my new computer. So far, everything looks the same. He took the old one away to recycle it.
I'm going to have to get used to using the bigger screen again after being on the laptop for over
a month. It's going to be nice to have a bigger keys when I write the summary next week.

Kat, how nice to have a computer that's more comfortable for you but works the same so you don't have a lot of new things to learn.

Poirot, your daughter will need a good night's sleep after her long trip. I hope the weather will be okay for the trip to Duluth. I think it's on Tuesday?

Robin, I do so hope Vinnie will be feeling better soon, one way or another. I agree with Poirot about how things so often come up on weekends or holidays. Strange but true.

It was cloudy and raining at sunrise this morning but when I did first see it peek thought the clouds a little bit, I thought it seemed later than it had been. Well, I've had nearly 2" of rain today! I take it by faith it is just what I needed, Kat. I'm just not used to getting rain in July. It is keeping the temperatures down though. It's only been in the low 80s* today.

robin, I hope Vinnie will be ok.

Poirot, enjoy the time with your family. Will they be staying awhile?

Superior & Duluth are "twin cities" separated only by a huge long bridge ...near the tip of Lake Superior. Superior is in WI (both sons went to college there) , cross the bridge & you are in Duluth, MN. In fact, up there, it is called Twin Ports, they refer to the area that way on TV, and it is where I first saw, while in port, the famous Edmund Fitzgerald. (Gordon Lightfoot told the tale in his top of the charts song).

Well the Beast wasn't as expensive as I thought he'd be. He is home napping again. It's terrible taking in a dog that is lethargic at home and bouncing all over the place at the vet's. I called an emergency clinic and at 10 am their wait time for non emergency cases was 4 hours and you wait in your car. I hate to think what the wait time will be later today. The place I went to is closer but not affiliated with my regular vet. They had a wait time of less than an hour depending on emergency cases.

At least he did have a temp and they saw soft stool. He has stress related upset stomach. So we got an IV to settle the stomach, prescription food, and antibiotics in case it progresses to bloody stool which is the normal progression of this problem he has. Our regular vet and our back-up vet were both closed today and won't open till Tuesday. By then the Beast would be so much worse. I got the pills so I don't have to go back, just in case. He came back from getting the injection with fancy bandages.

waiting.jpgwraps.jpg

We sit waiting for the nice lady to come back in. And then when he returned he had piggies and chickens on his legs.

Poirot - that is Vinnie, he loves to bark at nothing. But hey, we are protected. LOL

robin, I hope Vinnie starts feeling better. Do you think he ate something he shouldn't?

Poirot, I didn't realize the twin cities were in two different states.

Hi everyone!

OC, hope you enjoyed your cooler weather despite the rain.

robin, glad Vinnie is getting medicine to help. Hopefully he’ll be back to his old self soon.

kat, glad you are enjoying your new computer.

Poirot, sounds like you’ll be having an adventure next week. Enjoy the time with your daughter.

I’m currently sitting on the front porch of a camping cabin in Rodanthe, NC. The breeze coming of the ocean is nice. We will be here until Monday.

Hope everyone has a wonderful night!

IamRed, good to see you. I'd been thinking about you. Have fun at the ocean.

Robin, I'm glad Vinnie got the attention he needed and it wasn't as expensive as you'd thought.
Gotta love those cute bandaids! And of course we love the cute pup!

Poirot, thanks for that explanation. I knew Minnesota had twin cities but I couldn't have named them and it had never registered with me that one was in Wisconsin. I've been to Kansas City and Texarkana so maybe it's kinda the same, only it's been nearly a lifetime since I've been to those places. Somewhere I have a recording of Gordon Lightfoot singing that song.

Ahhhh, but Minnesota's twin cities are Minneapolis & St. Paul. The two up here are "twin ports" if you will.............connected by the Bong Bridge....

1625397873351.png

The bridge's namesake, Richard Ira Bong, was a pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II who was named the United States' all-time "Ace of Aces".

End of history lesson. LOLOLOL

Back