7/30/21 - Donuts and checking in

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,
Between the fires, heat waves, and tornados, I'm hoping to hear from all of our friends that you are safe today. Praying for all of you as I do every day.

It's beautiful and sunny here, with nice cool temperatures this morning, but who knows what the rest of the day will bring. Gena and I both decided it was too humid last night for weed pulling, so we watched Frozen and relaxed at home for the night. We'll catch up on weeding the weekend.

OC - (in response to yesterday) I don't have the patience or space in my apartment for home canning. I wish I did, but I try to get out to the farmers market to pick up some canned things that are available to purchase. I used to make huge batches of spaghetti sauce (using Poirot's recipe) and salsa when I was in the house and had a bigger garden, but I vacuum sealed the sauce for the freezer. I did put the salsa in jars and sealed them in boiling water, but I sometimes wonder why I bothered as the ex ate a full quart every 2 days, so it barely lasted beyond the 3rd week.

Happy Friday!

Good morning everyone. We're blessed here with a beautiful morning filled with sunshine and birds singing. Temps will also stay in the 70s today with lower humidity.

My town lucked out yesterday when the massive severe storm split in two, and went north and south of us. Those areas got hit hard with tornados and huge amounts of rain with one place getting over 4 inches in less than an hour.

Amanda, I haven't done canning with the water baths for several years. I only make freezer jam and refrigerator pickles now. They're less time consuming, less work, and I can make smaller batches.

Good morning.......so wonderful this a.m. to see fluffy white clouds, the sky turning blue as the sun rose. Haze seems to have gone somewhere else this a.m. Hubby has lab work this afternoon, cannot imagine why they need blood again, plus another covid test (that I understand) . Our friend will drive here from International Falls on Monday a.m. , then drive hubby up to Duluth Mon. afternoon, they stay in motel for early Tuesday a.m. appt. for Hubby. They will probably not be returning til Wed. nite or Thursday.
Glad to hear the weed pulling was put off to the weekend...O.C., hoping the bulls did not get back together to disturb your sleep

Another heat advisory day here. Sat afternoon there will be one too. It's suppose to be cooler
next week.

I went out early this morning and did more yardwork. I'll be leaving soon for Sunday
school lunch. Hopefully, it won't be too bad where we eat.

Today, I hear the birds singing when they are feeding the young ones. The babies are
bigger and making sounds too.

rs, I'm glad you didn't get any bad weather.

manda, enjoy your cooler day.

Poirot, I'm glad someone is helping you with hubby's appt next week.

I hope everyone has a good day and a cool, refreshing weekend.

We had a good lunch today. We sit in an open, covered garage. There was
a breeze at times.

We found out before we left that Walmart is going to make employees start
wearing masks again in stores. The ones who work in the office areas will
have to be vaccinated by Oct. I haven't seen anything online yet. The one
woman's daughter works in at office at Walmart.

I saw that in a news piece online. WalMart will be having all employees in stores in affected areas wearing masks. Did not read about mandatory vaccinations.

New York — Walmart, the nation’s largest retailer and private employer, is reversing its mask policy and will require all of its workers, including vaccinated ones in areas with high infection rates, to wear masks.

The Bentonville, Arkansas-based company says it is also encouraging customers to wear masks in those stores in areas with high infection rates and will be adding back signs at the entrances, according to a memo supplied by Walmart that was sent to its employees on Friday. It will also bring back so-called health ambassadors who will be positioned at the entrances and hand out masks.

Manda, oh my, you sure didn't have much incentive to continue with the sauce, if your ex was eating it up that fast! I admire anyone who gardens or puts up food. My husband insisted we do it when we first moved back here to my home place. It was pretty much torture to me at every step and I only did the freezer thing. I can still see (like a nightmare) huge piles of Swiss Chard piled on my counter.

Squirrel, pleasant skies and singing birds are such a welcome sight after a lot of rain. I'm so glad the bad storm left you in the gap. I hadn't seen the news to know of the tornadoes.

Poirot, you were due some blue skies too. I love the puffy white clouds against blue skies. God bless your friend who is coming next week to take your husband there and back. That makes the impossible possible and maybe will give you a chance to relax for a couple of days. Oh thanks for the good wishes about the bulls. I'm happy to report I haven't seen or heard them or any cows so far today and it was blissfully quiet last night.

Kat, it's good to hear the finch family is coming along nicely. Your lunch also sounded pleasant. I have a big concrete slab at the big opening of what was originally a garage, later a shop. I wish I could have a cover built over the slab, make it like a carport or a place to hang out in the shade when my family comes.

I woke up before 4:30 this morning with allergy and a headache. I couldn't go back to sleep so got up early. The allergy cleared up but the headache has been nagging me all day. It's been quiet but hot so I haven't been outside at all except to put out some hummingbird nectar. I have the puffy white clouds too but there's also a haze over them. I spent some time in the kitchen, which always aggravates my head. Then what I cooked wasn't appealing to me so I basically accomplished making a mess to clean up.

Oh Robin, thank you! That is beautiful. You can't imagine how much I would like to have that around my yard. I wonder if the posts go into the ground or whether they are set on rocks or concrete. I don't expect you to know the answer to that. Just wondering. Decades ago my husband built a split rail fence around our yard. It wasn't as nice or fancy as this one but it went perfectly with our house and surroundings. Downside was that after awhile the posts rotted beneath the ground and the fence eventually fell apart.

ETA....Now that I take a closer look, it appears there are no posts. The rails are stacked at the connections. It even looks like they are just sitting on blocks on top of the ground. I'm trying to figure out what keeps it together and also wondering how it could stay put without something in the ground to anchor it.

Back