8/15/21 - Donuts and Smoke? Fog?

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
Good morning. I've decided to stay home today. I need to cook up some food, and rest. I was so tired after messing with the cows yesterday morning, I took a long nap in the afternoon, which resulted in a restless night. So now I'm tired all over again and will probably need a nap before noon.

This morning it looked like a heavy fog outside but when I opened the door and stepped outside, there was a strong smoke smell. Now the sun is bright and the sky is clearing so I guess there must have been fog. It still smells like smoke though. It must be coming from a distance but I can't see smoke and there's not much wind so I can't even tell which direction.

Good morning, gonna be a hot one here today. Restless sleep last night again, wish I could just sleep without waking up so often.
O.C. there are some wild fires in Texas, so possibly you could be getting, smelling smoke from them, or further away. Arkansas, ALAbama, and more. I don't think they are very large, but then, you know your counties & town better than me. News media seems to only cover CA, there's a big one in Utah. Google wildfires in TX, you might get some more info.

Lil0, I hope the fog/smoke clears up for you. It was a little scary to me when I thought that much smoke was surrounding my house but I think it was fog I was seeing and the smoke was coming from farther away. Both seem to be gone now.

Poirot, I will check for wildfires in Texas. I hadn't heard about them. Around here, this seems to be the time of year to do controlled burns, which of course could turn into a wildfire if the conditions aren't right. It's an alternative way of battling prickly pears (as opposed to aerial chemical spraying). They have to get permission and have firetrucks onsite and make firebreaks, etc. so it's generally not a problem unless the wind gets up.

I didn't know about the fires in Utah. Next weekend my son's family will leave California and go through Idaho and Utah, as they begin their trek back this direction. After what they just went through in CA, I hope they will pay attention and pick a route away from fires.

It's sunny and only in the 80s today. I think my eyes hurt because of smoke in my area.
I read south of me there is a control burn.

We didn't have Sunday school class today so I went back to Crystal Bridges. I missed
a special exhibit when I went two weeks ago. I can watch church on YouTube.

OC, I'm glad you took time to rest after your busy Sat. I hope your family will be safe
when they move to another state.

Poirot, I hope you're resting today.

Lil0, I hope the smoke fades away in your area.

I hope everyone has a good afternoon.

In Utah, the big fire is the Parley's Canyon fire ...east of Salt Lake City. Thousands of homes evacuated. CA has the largest in U.S. raging currently, no wonder Lil0 is so affected. The Dixie fire is in northern CA.
From what I can gather any wildfires in TX are small, or contained. Am guessing, O.C. that the smoke is coming from elsewhere. That is like when we could smell the smoke from the Canadian wildfires.

O.C. you said to remind you....it's tonight.....Jesse Metcalf...Chesapeake Shores. 7 p.m. on Hallmark channel.

Meanwhile, this afternoon, Hallmark Movies and mysteries is running a marathon of Chesapeake reruns til 7 p.,m. lol. But the new one is on the regular Hallmark channel (185 on Dish). :)

It rained. I got a pop up shower over me. The sun was behind the house shining, but no rainbow.
I'm happy it's rained. I think it rained about 5 minutes. It was a steady rain

I got home today after a mere 6 hour drive. It took 7 1/2 hours to get there. The party Saturday was great. Lots of fun was had by all. Little Enzo is such a cutie and didn't seem fazed by all the folks fawning over him. We were able to get pictures of 4 generations of the family. As the evening wore on my older sister got cold she got her sweatshirt and wanted me to go get my sweatshirt. It was cool, and I was cold but it felt so good to be cold. I brought my sister to the hotel to spend the night, because she had been drinking and I had an empty bed. That worked out well, we were sound asleep around 11pm and up at 7:30. Trying to hurry her up was about as successful as hurrying ants along...... once she was re packed and ready to go she needed breakfast.... I had already talked her out of a shower, she lives an hour a way she could shower when she got home. I went to check out she was going to get breakfast. I get into the hotels breakfast nook and she had put on gloves and was pouring her coffee and trying to figure out what to have ARGGGGH.... should I have yogurt? or a hardboiled egg? maybe some fruit? {primal scream} it took her 15 minutes to make up her mind. As I had determined she was going to eat, I made pancakes. Wait how did you do that?? I read the directions on the machine?? I said so of course now she had to put the yogurt back and she was going to have pancakes. I had to explain that I didn't want to have fake butter and even faker syrup on my pancakes.....eventually we got back to my sisters. I picked up the food I have left, it was leftovers from the night before, but since I didn't have a fridge in my room, I kept there, so I was in hugged nephew and spouse, kissed my great nephew and was out of there. I have no idea how much longer my older sister was staying. The little family had to leave for the airport no later than 10am as they flew home to Vancouver. I had told her on our way over from the hotel that we needed to be in and out. She was telling everyone about the wonders of the pancake maker at the hotel.....

1 Enzo Cassius Michael Aug 2021.jpg
Enzo helping Cassius read his comic book under the napping yet watchful eyes of my nephew.

robin. I'm glad you had a good weekend. Happy to hear your sister from Canada was able to
come to the US.

That's an adorable picture, Robin. Loved hearing about you and your sister. Reminded me of me and my niece. I'm the indecisive one. She's zip-zip, get 'er done! Glad you made it home in better time, and safely.

Poirot, thanks for the reminder. I tried watching the Chesapeake Shores thing but couldn't get into it. I had mistakenly thought it was movies, like the Martha's Vineyard series, which were murder mysteries and more interesting to me than the typical Hallmark shows.

Agree with you. Also thought it was an "all in one" episode movie, but agree...tho I watched, I still have no idea what was going on. LOL By the way. Jesse Metcalf is leaving the series, & evidently it was being set up with him arguing with his wife/partner thruout the episode about their relationship, and staying there or leaving, etc.

Well, they have serveral "murder mysteries series", Mystery 101, Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Hailey Dean Mysteries, Morning Show Mysteries, (Murder She Baked is now the Hannah Swensen Mysteries, Aurora Teagarden Mysteries.......probably a few more, lol.

Back