8/27/17 - Donuts & Rain

Thanks, for the info. I kept thinking they would a need a boat ramp.

Last edited:
Seems there are all different kinds being used. Yes, they need small motors, oars, paddles. There are places where the water is 10 ft. and more deep now. When you see only roofs of houses, with the entire rest under water, it is terrifying. On interstates, just the tops of the signs are visible. Helicopters being used for those on their roofs. They are telling people not to go into their attics, unles they bring an axe to chop thru to the roof.

Thoughts and prayers going out to Texas. It just makes a person sick when you see the pictures. Like many have said this is just the beginning, so so awful.

Because I'm a bit of a stickler for facts, this is one of the fake photos circulating about Hurricane Harvey. The Cajun Navy DID respond to the flooding in Houston. However, the photo is actually from 2016, when they responded to flooding in Baton Rouge. From what I've found online, they weren't even an organized group to start with, and what little organization they have now is very informal. They started as an impromptu group after Hurricane Katrina and it appears that a reporter gave the group their name a few years later.

Thanks for letting us know.

How are we supposed to know which are fake and which are not?

Hmmm, I usually just right click on the picture, and among the list of options that come up is "search Google for image" and I click on that.
This is using Chrome, I don't know if that is what comes up on other browsers.

Thank you for posting so many photos and relaying information on loved ones who have been affected. Houston and Calgary are sister cities. I will never get over the awesome power of water and the devastation it causes. Like Manda, I have been out of touch with news over the last few weeks and getting snippets of news here and there.

It's times like these when you see the best and the worst in people but hopefully more of the best and all of the efforts and contributions everyone is making on and behind the scenes. Calgary experienced devastating flooding in 2013 and if it wasn't for the first responders, first aiders, health professional, everyday people, and support from all across Canada and world, we wouldn't be as prepared as we are for the next one but with natural disasters one never knows what is in store. Good luck in the recovery and after effects of this.

Muzza, you are right. Houston area had 50" of rain! Unprecedented in the history of rains, storms, hurricanes, etc. It is over 4 ft. ....(if you do metric, it is 127 cm.) And now Houston has to go into the process of relocating thousands of people, who not only lost homes, but all belongings.

I've been to Houston a couple of times. I know it's big. But I saw a map online where they took the size of the floods in Houston and overlaid the area over various other states. Like from the California coast, San Francisco, it went north and south and ALL THE WAY to the Sierras. I was better able to grasp just how large that area was as I was familiar with it. And my house was in the deep red flood zone, in Sacramento!!! The map really did help me grasp the large area of damage.

JS, thanks for the info.

I did look at a picture with search Google method. I'll just have
to remember that when I post things.

Back