8/3/2021 - Donuts & Tea

mandamiee

Reaction score
Good Morning,
It's another beautiful sunny day, with mild temperatures. It's currently 67* and the cooler weather has put me in the mood for a nice cup of chai tea in the morning. While we didn't make it to the garden last night was we were too busy planning our Girl Scout meeting, we will be coming out tonight to get the rest of the weeds and check for more tomatoes and green beans. I also bought some organic fertilizer to see if that helps get things growing a little better.

Poirot - I hope you're able to get the rest you need while your hubby is getting his procedure done. Good luck with your car.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Good morning........was awake so early again....ugh. And as dark as it was at 4:30, it was just as dark at 8 a.m. Haze, fog, humidity, whatever. We got a 2 minute sprinkle of "rain". We have a "poor air quality" advisory saying stay inside as much as you can. However, the sky just lightened up a bit, so, guess perhaps some of this will clear away.
Hubby has had the valve replacement, currently is in recovery area, to be moved to cardiac area later on. He was first on the schedule today, but sure meant a long, long day, since he had to be up before 4 a.m.
No idea if sun will appear later, tho weather says it will. Who knows?

Poirot, thank you for the report on your husband. Getting through the procedure seems like a big step in the right direction. Here's hoping his recovery goes smoothly. Meanwhile, I hope your skies clear off and you can have a peaceful, restful day.

Manda, I'm glad you're having some cooler weather. Why didn't you tell me you needed some organic fertilizer? I could have sent you enough to fertilize your whole county! My yard looks rather odd now. The cows have been keeping the grass "mowed" but there are spots scattered about where the grass is tall. That's where it's been fertilized. I guess the cows don't like to graze those areas because of what they find at the bottom of the grass.

Things should get a whole lot quieter around here now. The neighbor, a cowboy who has that property leased, but doesn't live on it, was contacted yesterday and came about half an hour ago and took his traveling bull away. He's going to take him to the sale because he won't stay put. I'd just driven down the hill to check some fences so my cows had come to the sound of my truck and were clustered all around it in front of my house so the neighbor didn't have to go hunting for the bulls. They were right there, fighting, of course.

Y ou sure do have some excitement at times, OC....LOLOL But thank goodness it will now get a bit more peaceful. Wonder who contacted the cowboy?

Forgot to mention how our leaves have been turning the past 10 days or so. Not all the trees, but enough to notice on some. There is one in front that has small dark red berries (I think it is a chokecherry, but???) & the berries just barely appeared and the leaves are turning, some have fallen. I mean this was July, and now just beginning of August. We are still hot! Maybe it is due to so many Haze days, they aren't getting actual sunshine, tho the sun tries, but is weak.

It's partly cloudy this morning. The high this afternoon will be low 80s again.

This morning, I went out and did yardwork. My plans for today changed yesterday (long
story) so I didn't work outside yesterday afternoon. I used trimmer, watered some plants
and weeded this morning. I'm not sure what I'll do this afternoon.

Poirot, I'm glad your hubby's procedure went well. Is he coming home today or tomorrow?

OC, good news about the bull being taken away. I hope it won't be so noisy now.

manda, I hope you'll find some beans and tomatoes.

I hope everyone has an good day.

Last edited:
Robin - I sure hope the fires miss your cabin. I'm glad you'll be home safe soon though.

OC - ah manure is the best fertilizer, I wish you could ship some up. I could supply it for the whole of our associate garden. My Grandpa brought me some horse manure the first year I had a garden at my old house. We had so many tomatoes, that I ended up making 3 or 4 gallons of spaghetti sauce and 3 or 4 gallons of salsa. I haven't had such a good crop since. Next year I'll get on the fertilizing earlier and may just pick up a few bags of manure to mix in with the soil. It's challenging to mix it in well with only hand tools though.

Poirot - glad to hear the your husband's surgery went well so far.

Kat - sounds like you had a very productive morning.

Robin, that must feel awful, to have to leave your cabin not knowing whether it will still be there for another time. But I agree with Manda, I'll be relieved when you are out of there and safe. My son's family has turned the corner on their summer travels, with intentions of being back in Texas in early October. They've gotten from Washington state to upper California so far. I just keep hoping they won't get in the path of the fire.

Manda, my mother had such a green thumb. Besides gardening, she had a LOT of house plants. Back in those days they had cows, horses and chickens so I'm not sure which of those she used (I wasn't interested in gardening) but I think she sometimes would put some in a bucket of water and let it permeate the water, then she'd just use the water on the plants. (Rather than trying to mix it all up). She also used untreated tank (pond) water to water plants so I think that was also good for them. Not that you would have those options. Just an observation.

Kat, maybe you could find a shady spot and sit out in the milder temperatures and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings this afternoon. You are always working so hard when you're outside, you need to enjoy the results of your labor. Of course if there are flying bugs out there, that changes everything! That's why I enjoy having lots of windows and do most of my viewing from inside.

Poirot, yesterday morning the bull got close enough to my window that I was able to see there was a name and phone number on one of his ear tags so I was about to call the cowboy but about that time my niece came up to get me and she saw the two bulls going round and round out front so she saw the name and called him. I can't believe your leaves are already turning. I'm never ready for that. My niece insists some kind of atmospheric change happens in early-mid August. Says she can "feel" it. I'd never heard of such a thing and have never been aware of it myself, but what do I know? If she feels it, she feels it. Lol.

OC - that bucket idea could work, I may try that next year. The water for our gardens does come from one of the ponds on our property and is unfiltered as they have signs up all over reminding us to not drink from the hose. I hope your son and his family get home safely as well, so scary to be travelling in the areas hit hardest by the wild fires.

Good afternoon everyone. I have no idea what the weather is outside today, but it was 54* when I came to work this morning.

It has been another crazy day of phone calls and emails. Both of us are now scheduled for all working days except 2 from the beginning of September through December. Luckily, I have my vacation days already scheduled in for the rest of the year.

robinsnest - please be careful, and don't take any chances.

Poirot - Hopefully some of your stress / tension is alleviated with your husband in the hospital a few hours away. At least caregivers aren't in and out all hours of the day.

OC - I had to laugh at your description of the "fertilizer", and the cows not eating that grass.

Amanda - I burst out laughing at picturing one of OC's girls standing next to your garden, and lifting her tail to give you "fertilizer" on command.

kat - Sounds like you need to take some relaxing "me" time, and watch a movie or read.

Squirrel, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets some amusement from the realities of life in the animal world, at least when I'm not being frustrated by them. Good thing you thought ahead and got your vacation time scheduled in. Coming up at the end of the year and losing unused time would not be fun, if that's how it works at your place.

Back