9/22/21 - Donuts & an Accident

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning, and Autumn officially arrives today..It is currently 42 and very, very foggy! Another name for autrumn is Fall, and that is what I had yesterday morning. Sitting here, my desk chair (on wheels) suddenly tipped over, I slid out onto the floor & some part of the chair, then wondered how the heck I was going to get up. (I can't just do so from the floor any more). Took me a bit to right the chair, my phone is right on the desk if I would have to call someone. But just sat there, pushed the chair up against the wall & shelf table, still sat, finally took a couple of cushions (I used to give me some height on the chair) side by side, gripped the chair as I turned onto my knees, and managed to get up. Well, I was a wreck, my left leg in knee area, (actually the back of it) hurt, so I am limping, using a cane, tylenol, and some Aspercreme. Nothing broken. Despite the big crash, not a word from hubby, but he could not have done a thing anyway, probably would have been a hindrance if he tried to come out. Anyway, feels a tiny bit better after being in bed all night. Expected all black & blue today, but it isn't...so will just take it easy and stay off as much as I can.
Hope the day is nicer where you are......Take care.

Poirot, sorry to hear that you fell. You need to find a friend where you live to call when
you need someone to help you. Does the caregiver still come by twice a day for hubby
or is that over since he's using hospice?

Actually, I do have a friend just 1/2 block away, but one has to be close to the phone, which actually was on the desk, but I could not reach it. Caregiver had just left, was probably not even in her car yet. Was gonna be 6 hrs before returning. Gotta go take Tylenol now..........

Poirot, sorry to hear of this distress! I understand the issue of not being able to get up off the floor. I've scared myself a couple of times. An EMT recently suggested that I could crawl over to a chair and use that to help myself get up. That, of course, assumes no injuries. I hope you are feeling a lot better today.

Poirot, that's why I had ADT Lifeline transferred to my name after my husband died. I figured I could fall and no one is around. I have a bracelet with the button on my wrist. My husband had the necklace. It just makes me feel safer. Hope you feel better now.

OW OW OW......
Poirot that sound painful..... I hope the Tylenol helps.... when with the Grandkids I "willingly" got on the floor..... getting up is not an easy trick.... but I was able to do it without harming myself or others......
I hope you are able to get around as the day progresses.....

Nanahl, that's a good idea.

With my landline, I have four phones in the house. The living room, bedroom, kitchen and office.
When I get older, I may have to consider getting something else.

I have 3 landline phones........but honestly, if you cannot reach them, when you are in a problem.......wherever they are........

This place had phone jacks installed in various places, so that is where the phones are. However, there is no way to put an additional phone into any area where there is no jack connection.

Oh Poirot, how scary that must have been for you, at least at first. I'm glad your feeling a bit better today, and hope that continues. Sadly I worry about that a bit myself, with being diabetic, it's a bit frightening to think what could happen when I'm home alone, or eventually when Gena moves out. I don't' think anyone in my apartment building would even notice, especially after working from home for a year and a half when my car barely moved.

Oh Poirot, it hurts so terribly to fall, even if nothing is broken. What a helpless feeling, to know there's no one there to help you. You were probably right, that you husband would have been more of a hindrance than help, if he had known. I used to worry about emergencies when my husband was disabled. Not only would I have had to take care of myself, how would I take care of him? I did fall down the back steps once during that time. Nothing broken but the pain was so excruciating, it took awhile for me to be able to get myself up.

About the phone, this is something I think about a lot. My worst nightmare is falling when I'm outside and not being able to get away from red ants and other things that would hurt me. I could be there a couple of days or longer before anybody would know so there's no telling what might devour me. Sometimes I think to take my cell phone with me, even just in my yard, but usually not. It probably is true that one of the alert buttons to wear is a wise investment for any of us who live alone--or the same as alone. My parents, in their later years, had only one phone jack with a rotary phone. Their solution was to have a really long line put on the phone. It literally reached to every spot in their house. The downside is that it could be a tripping hazard. All of us were amazed that they never did trip on it. Poirot, I hope you have already felt the worst of your mishap and will quickly improve each day.

After two days of messing around with my car, I'm finally sitting here letting some stress flow out. Yesterday morning I got ready to go to town to do several errands. As I drove off down the driveway the car began to "cut out" or "miss" or something--felt like it was gasping for breath. Thoughts flooded in as how this was the way it felt the time the rats had chewed the wires/hoses and my car engine had to be replaced. But by now I was about a mile away from the house with several hills in between and it was hot. I knew I couldn't walk it and I had no phone service (was at the bottom of a hill) so I turned around and slowly drove back home, while constantly watching for any warning lights to come on. I really needed to go to town though, so I went in my work truck, which is a beating to drive, especially in town. But I kept reminding myself how thankful I was to have a backup.

When I'd gotten the car to the house I tried to open the hood to check for---you know what. I'd never had any trouble opening the hood but now I couldn't find the lever that releases the latch under the hood. Where it was supposed to be, there was a big something in the way. It felt like hardened dirt but round and smooth. Yes, very much like a dirt dauber nest. Somehow, I managed to get the hood open in spite of it and sure enough, a dirt dauber had encased the lever in a big round ball of adobe-like mud! Also, sure enough, there was a rat's nest of furry junk and mesquite leaves embedded in the car's wiring, with plenty of evidence, including chewed wires and a small hose, among other things. I talked with my mechanic a couple of times this morning and just a little while ago a tow truck came and hauled my car off to the shop. The car still runs so I don't think the engine has been damaged but looming over my head is the question, "What am I going to do to keep it from happening again as soon as I get the car back?" After five years of battling this, I can say with some assurance that moth balls and every other remedy imaginable are nothing more than fables.

It was in the 40s when I walked this morning. I wore warm clothes and a stocking cap to keep my ears
warm. The sun is out now and it's in the 70s. Friday warmer weather comes back.

Poirot, my main phone has two extra phones that don't need phone jacks. I keep one charged and it connects
to the main phone. It rings when I get calls. I need to remember to take one outside when I'm working. I can't
go very far from the house without it loosing it's connection to the main phone.

OC, sorry to hear about your car. I hope you can figure out something to keep the critters out of it.

I hope you are okay, Poirot. I fall quite a bit myself, as I have diabetic neuropathy, so I know how painful it can be. As suggested by Lilo, crawling over to a chair or even my bed in my bedroom helps me to pull myself up, as I cannot just pick myself up off the floor anymore. Also, if I go outside anymore, I take my cell phone with me in a pocket, so if anything like that happens outside like it did 2 years ago when I fell in my driveway, I have a phone with me at all times to call for help.

You all are so dear to me, cannot tell you how much it means that you all sympathize with me & my accident. Yes, I have used the chair before, about 5 years ago, in my previous home. But again, you have to be near a chair.Otherwise getting to where one is, well, quite an undertaking. My main phone came with just one extra, and I can just plug that one in........but the extra one needed a phone jack. (in my bedroom) I once carried one with me outside, but as noted, cannot go far. But my cell phone loses power so quickly.....so I will need to get another cell, that lasts longer. Heck, ,my current one loses power without even being used! My cell is always in my purse, I don't use it except to call out. It is never "on".

@OC.....is it possible to keep your car in a garage? Or don't you have any? It is not good to keep vehicles outside all the time, but circumstances do cause it. When first married, living in apartments, ours was always outside, parked on the street, but really, being the city, did not have the problems you have. Up here, luckily, have always had a garage. Am so glad you got back home, and wisely decided to do so.

Poirot, I don't have a garage. Wish I did, if it could be made mouse proof. I keep my car parked under what is similar to a carport but on one side it attaches to an old building that was originally a garage, then a shop, but is not usable now. The hot sun is a problem for vehicles here so that's the only good shade I have for it. Also protects it from hail, wind, etc. I try to keep my two trucks under trees but mesquites don't give good shade and as the sun moves seasonally I have to move the trucks around, always looking for better spots.

Kat, you really did get cool! I forgot to say it was 51* when I got up this morning. It got into the lower 80s* later but it was an exceptionally pleasant day, with low humidity and not too much wind. I went out later today and dealt with spots of very, very dry cow manure. Some had grass grown up through them so they were harder to remove than the ones that weren't "rooted" to the ground.

We only got up to 64 today....oh, yes, autumn is here. Trees turning so fast. "But the fog lifted, sun came out, very little wind, so seemed a lovely day. Unfortunately, I was not able to get out to enjoy a single second of it. Heck, Have not even gone for the mail yet.

Ah.... what you guys get cooler Fall weather???? WAAAAA not fair!!!!!! We are still over 100° 104°F (40C) here today...... maybe one day we will get cooler.....

I did get out today and managed to get the Pneumonia vaccine and a flu shot... I expect my left arm to fall off shortly.... Now my doctor hopefully will stop nagging me about the Pneumonia vax......

Glad you are ok, Poirot but I would encourage you to get a life alert type system for yourself. Better to be safe than sorry.

Back