9/6/23 - Donuts & Wed. storms

Poirot

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning! Had a jim dandy thunder & lightning storm from 10 to 11 P.M. last night, lots of rain. Probably rained more during the wee hours, still overcast, grey sky, & rain showers this morning. Lost TV last night, & earlier, seemed power went off and on, but hard to tell. We went from nearly 90 yesterday, to 65 this morning, and it is not supposed to change at all! That is odd. Yep, the high today is supposed to be 65. Weird.
Gonna try and get outside to check the rain gauge.
tis midweek.........I'm doin' laundry today. Hope you all enjoy the day.

88 and sunny/humid in NY. One or two more days of the heat wave. Can't be over soon enough.

Poirot - Wild temp fluctuations! I hope you will have a nice Fall.

Happy Wednesday wishes to everyone, though it still feels like Tuesday.

1694011864550.jpeg

Quiet minute at the school.... it's been a wild and wacky morning.... thankfully the person I'm replacing will be back by 1 pm.....
I had the privilege of fire drill this morning....oooh kindergarteners on their first fire drill.... they did well....

more later...

Just rained AGAIN! not much, more or a less a lite shower, but lasts quite a while. Checked the rain gauge, we had a little over 1 and quarter inches last nite.
Mail person nicely tied my mail in a bundle, left it in front of my door. The note I put on the outside of the box is gone......no idea when that lock will be fixed. I tried again to open the box, could tell someone had been doing something as it seemed loose or something, as the key eventually got in, but now the box won't lock! Sigghhhh.

Sigh, heat advisory again today. 95 feels like 104 right now. Back to hibernation mode. Better to stay in than to have this overly hot weather trigger asthma attack. That sort of scares some people.

Another sunny, warm day today. Rain didn't fall here when it passed over during the night.
Cool down on Monday now.

I went to the church library today. I asked last week about the handyman service, but no one
contacted me. The pastor secretary talked to someone else today and I filled out form. Person
was suppose to call me last week. I told her she needed an assistant. Maybe now someone will
come and fix the one toilet seat.

After church, I went to a different coin place. I was surprised how much I got. I'll be going again
soon since I still have old coins. I found one today dated 1881.

This afternoon, someone is going to give estimate on putting the baseboards back on. It's been
two weeks since worker across street was here and I don't know when he'll be back.

Poirot, I hope you get the mailbox problem fixed soon. They may have to send a locksmith to fix it.

robin, I didn't know you were going to be a substitute teacher.

Wilde Woman, I hope you're having a good day.

rf, I hope it cools down soon where you live.

I hope everyone has a pleasant rest of the day.

Good afternoon everyone. Another 90+* day here, too. YUCK!

The very loud air conditioning noise kept interfering with the hearing screenings while we were doing visions at a school today, so the ac had to be turned off. It was miserably hot in that room all morning.

Has anyone heard any more from Lil0? She posted her Wordle scores on Facebook, but nothing else. I hope she was able to get in to see her doctor.

Poirot, your storm is supposed to hit here around dinner time today. I sure hope our temps drop, too.
I'm glad the mailman got your mail to you.

WW, hopefully the dropping temps move right over the mountains to you, too.

robinsnest, I'm so sorry you got caught in a fire drill. Luckily the school secretaries warn me when I check in, and tell me the time.

rf, what grade / grades did you teach? I get kids of all ages from preschool through 6th grade. I leave the older kids for the school nurses to screen.

kat, does your church have a handyman list ? If so, that would be great. It is so hard here to find anyone who wants to do the small jobs like putting in a new faucet.

rs, as of now only one person on the handyman list. I don't remember now when they started
the group. I asked if it was still going on.

oh, squirrely, you are lucky. When I was doing screenings, had lst thru 8th! Yeah, Jr. High (7th & 8th) was part of the school district (for which I worked). Young kids always seemed to enjoy testing days. older ones were bored, but liked the idea of no class that period. LOL

kat I am not a teacher, I'm office staff. Today I made spreadsheets of tee shirt and hoodies that were purchased, and another one for students who signed up for a special fitness class..... After the fire drill the Principal came in an was happy that it only took two minutes to empty the school. I mentioned that no one I saw had a roster and the office didn't take the binder out. The Principal stopped and looked at me, she was surprised that a sub would know about that. Each teacher is to take a special binder with them when they leave the school in a leave the school drill, the office takes the master binder that has all of the same stuff as the teachers along with an extra set of keys and maps to the building and the location of all hazardous materials. I used to explain all of this to programmers so staff could print this all out quickly. It's also electronic but what if you don't have electricity?? Hurricane Katrina anyone?

At least it wasn't Picture day......

A mom came in at noon with her kids, one was having a meltdown.... I was alone in the office was able to find someone who could help the mom and the kiddo..... I alerted the person I was subbing for about the family as meltdowns tend to continue into the day...

it will be an early night for me..... or perhaps a nap now....

robin, it was good you were there today to let the principal know things were forgotten during the fire drill.

I glad you reported the teachers and staff who did not follow procedures. Even if it's "just a drill," things can go wrong.
At one school, we had "drill bags." I kept mine near the door. I assigned helpers to grab the bag as I made sure everyone was in line. The helpers liked being second in command.

Oh, gosh, I remember when I worked for the school district, I was in a class, testing, and there was a sudden fire drill, the teacher had left the room, I had no idea what the blazes to do, but those kids did. All lined up and out the door, I went along. (had no idea what I was supposed to do, but never let on one bit) we got outside, teacher was there, took over the class, making me very happy. I just kept silent, and went back to the classroom with everyone when it ended. Every school had different protocol, and there were around 25-30 schools, maybe more. Large district. Eventually some schools were put into a different district to reduce load on nurses, principal, etc.

Can't believe I failed to check in earlier today. I thought I did. That's getting to be a habit. I didn't really do much. I didn't even go outside except to open the door and get a package UPS left of the porch. I had planned to go to town and get some work done on my car. They'd said I could come any time but when I called to make sure the part had come in, they said yes but they asked me to wait until tomorrow morning to come. Then I'd thought my niece and I were going to put out some hay (before I would have left for town) but she changed her mind. So I had to reorient my thinking. Took a late morning nap, then did some paperwork in the afternoon.

oh, squirrely, you are lucky. When I was doing screenings, had lst thru 8th!
It would be much easier if I had only school age through 8th grade.

My territory covers 3 counties in PA plus a partial county in Ohio. (The Ohio area is part of our United Way service area.)

I screen 6 months old through 6th grade at day cares, preschools, public schools, and private schools.

Plus I screen adults age 50 through over 100 years old at senior centers, senior apartments, living centers, etc.

Back