9/7/23 - Donuts and More Storms

redsquirrel

Reaction score
Good morning everyone. Yep, Poirot's storms reached us last night and will continue through today. The temp should be dropping, but it hasn't so far.

I'm off to school in a few minutes...3 different schools today. How do I let myself get stuck in this awful schedule every year?! :rolleyes:

Hope you all have a good day.

The cooldown arrived here......Dropped to 50 during the night, is on it's way up to the expected high of jusy 59. By the weekend end, the high will be in low 70s. But, so far, no more rain.
Last night's news showed that up north of me, actually up near Lake Superior, there was a humdinger of a storm Tuesday night, trees down, power still out, big branches broke off. Photo footage was of all the cleanup, much chain saw cutting of all the downed trees, people cleaning, raking yards, porches, roofs from debris.....but no one injured which seems a huge miracle.
Stay safe, take care all.

Meant to say, too, it's heading your way RS.......heck, they say next week, temps just in 60s here (and much cooler up north of me) ....we even will be dropping down to 40 at night. Turned off all the ceiling fans, left one on, which got turned off around 3 a.m. (yep, I have lots of wake ups during the night, lol)

Good Morning all..... the weather guessers say that we WILL start to cool down next week..... maybe.....
Tonight is a fundraiser for a scout who suffered an injury while being a boy aka doing something stupid so we will be going to the restaurant where a percentage of the meals are going towards the young man's medical care....
The wildfire smoke has made it's way this far south and it's made the air really yucky....
air.JPG

Update on Toads.... Grand Admiral Toad hasn't been seen in a couple of weeks.... did the mower get him? birds? don't know but he's been missing for quite some time.... smaller toads still bound around the yard..... but a NEW issue has appeared.... we have lots of damsel flies and dragon flies.... decades ago my Grandfather told us that we had to be careful around dragon flies because they'd sew up our ears....now a Grandfather wouldn't lie.... not to a child..... I had an unnatural fear of them for a long time..... till I realized that Grandpa Dottie had just been pulling my leg....but here in Kansas... they are now swarming..... the two semi feral cats who live between houses are out at night trying to catch them....the cats are the latest in the long string of things that bother the BEAST....

We have almost made it to the end of another week.....

Good Thursday to all....

Allegedly, last day of heat wave, though humidity will remain for a few more days. 90 now, 50% humidity. Ready for a change.

redsquirrel - Sending good thoughts your way so you get through the day...that's a lot of schools!

Poirot - You would make a good weather forecaster!

Robin - Wishing that young man well. What an image you posted! That is truly scary weather. I never heard of damsel flies, had to look them up. A swarm of anything is not welcome anywhere. Perhaps Grand Admiral Toad is on vacation.

Everyone have a great day, no matter your weather!

1694103474512.jpeg

Hello everyone! It's sure looking like a busy hurricane season this year. Hurricane Idalia, just a week ago, thankfully wasn't much of anything...but Hurricane Lee headed for us next week sure is looking mean. We are keeping a close eye on him. If he looks to hit us, we'll probably batten down the hatches and evacuate. (Hubby will have to stay and weather the storm as his job is to clear paths for emergency crews to get to victims after the storm passes)... I hate that part, the leaving him behind when I pack my babies in the car and my "most valuable things" and pets and leave..... my hubby IS my most valuable thing. Prayers that Lee doesn't do too much damage. It'll be a week before he is here and we are already starting to make sure things are ready in case he doesn't turn and hits us head on. Everyone sing with me, "Turn, turn, turn!" or... if you're a friend of the show F.R.I.E.N.D.S....everyone yell "PIVOT!!!" But then again...if he turns, he'll hit my daughter up at college. not really anything good about anything Lee is threatening. Pray for the east coast next week!

Something so silly......Golden Girls rerun....all trying to get to be with family for Christmas, no luck. Forlorn til someone who thought they were blood family members was surprised to hear they were, as they seemed like it. That made the Girls realize they WERE lucky as they really were family and were all together for Christmas. And then Rose notes something fantastic.......it is snowing! (and I am sitting way up north, talking out loud to no one......they are in MIAMI....it's snowing...and on Christmas yet. Why are they not running outside to experience at least l snowflake. LOLOL)
My son lived in Miami several years.....never snowed while he lived there. Ahhhh, writers have such leeway, but those gals just looked out the window, missed it all. LOLOL

It's sunny and in the 90s this afternoon. Rain Friday morning. Cooler next week.

I left a little later than usual for library and was stopped for an accident. Unsure where I might
have been if I left on time. I was at library longer than usual since cart full. I'm usually gone
before the kids come for storytime. Not today.

I was going to make stops on the way home, but decided not to. My mower just pulled up
and I got out Fenix out. I had cat inside when I left.

rs, I hope the school day went well.

DaysLady, I hope the hurricane misses your whole family.

robin, I hope the fund raiser goes well. Stay safe with the smoke.

Wilde Woman, I hope you get cooler weather soon.

Poirot, I'm glad your area missed the stormy weather.

I hope everyone has a fine afternoon.

@Poirot so... your story isn't too far off, actually. I grew up here on the east coast, and when I was living right near the beach in Savannah, GA... we had snow on Christmas!!! I actually lived on Wilmington Isle, a little swamp area right before you get to Tybee Island, and my house was in those neighborhoods there. I remember asking my dad what that white stuff was...and he said "Fred, it's snow! And no, we aren't supposed to get that here on the coast"..... The snow that year was because of Hurricane Hugo. Then, back in 2019 we had Hurricane Dorian....and because of Dorian, we got snow on our beaches here in Charleston. I'll tell you- it's really strange to see snow on sand and a warm Atlantic ocean wave crashing into snow! With Hurricane Lee approaching next week...if it hits, it's probably going to upset the atmosphere enough to give us some snow this coming winter. That said... it is still SUPER unlikely for Miami to see snow...but the right hurricane at the right time could DEFINITELY make it possible.

Looks like most of us are about to the end of our endurance on this summer's heat. Next week sounds better for everyone except for DaysLady. Sure hope Lee doesn't follow through on his threats for your area, DL.

It was 107* here for most of the day, has made it down to 106* at this hour. Could reach 110* tomorrow. I went to town, got the wiring fixed on my car, made a few more stops. The worst part was unloading my groceries when I got home, then parking the car, emptying the ice out of the cooler, etc. I almost couldn't wait to get inside and get into something loose and comfortable.

Robin, I didn't realize smoke was still coming down from Canada. That map looks like the bottom edge has crossed over into Texas about 70 miles above me. I hope it doesn't move straight south from there. I enjoyed the toad update and hearing about damsel/dragon flies. Wasn't there a dragonfly in some old movie, like 101 Dalmations and it's name was "Evinrude."

It truly has to start cooling off all over........our high today was 60. I have a sweater on......no sun, so it makes everything feel cooler than it is. I know the next couple of days are to be 70s, then back to 60s but I don't trust anything weather people say anymore, as it changes each day. Heck they change forecasts from morning when they do the 5 p.m. news!

Evinrude the dragon fly was in the Disney movie Rescuers. Mice Bernard and Bianca go to the Bayou to rescue a small child. Evinrude moved them around the swamp as they sat in a large leaf and he powered the leaf.

Thanks, Robin. I knew Dalmations didn't seem right but it's been so long ago I couldn't think of anything else. Must have been when my kids were little. I just remember thinking Evinrude was such a clever name for the part.

Back