9/9/2023 - Donuts and What's for Lunch?

Old Cowgirl

Reaction score
A late hello to everybody. I guess it's well past lunch time for many of you. A little past noon here but I've not eaten lunch yet. I think I'll do a quick pan fry on a piece of steak. Beef has gotten so expensive, I buy a steak and cut it into three pieces before putting it into the freezer, so I get three meals out of it. It's weird that I raise beef and still feel like I can't afford to eat it. Hamburger now is more than steaks used to be. Oh well, it's the same with everything these days, as was mentioned in last night's comments about gasoline.

I never did get any rain last night. Just lots of lightning. There was a grass fire directly across the river from my niece's place but I guess it's out today. They had helicopters and all that.

My daughter and her husband are coming to spend the night tonight. There won't be much time for visiting, since it will be late when they get here and they'll leave right after church tomorrow. This evening they're going out to an event at a lake near the town where I go to Walmart so they'll come here after that.

it's been a busy morning here today... HB had a "Celebration of Life" ceremony in his birth town this morning... I begged off..... BEAST and I went to a UPS store to mail a package for a birthday celebration, then to the post office to mail letters, then off to Goodwill to give away some items that I can't believe I actually moved here.... what was I thinking???? (HB being away allowed me to do this) off to Home Depot to see about getting a clearance comfy chair for the patio... no luck.... then home again to grab lunch.....

Hope you have some time with family OC....

Good Saturday to all....

Another sunny day in the 80s. Monday starts the cool down.

I went to the small library to put books up today after my errands. Some items were put up yesterday, but
the cart was over half full. I finished making the poke salad and I'll have with dinner tomorrow. It will be
the last batch until next year.

I wanted to buy a rotisserie chicken at Walmart. It was $8 so I skipped it.

robin, I'm glad you were able to take stuff to Goodwill when you had the chance.

OC, enjoy your visit with your family.

I hope everyone has a nice rest of the day.

Returned from errands just in time. Sky about to open up with heavy rain. It felt like July outside. High 80s and high humidity, very uncomfortable.

OC: You are definitely not alone with your frustrations about prices. You have a good idea with cutting the steak and freezing portions for later. Enjoy your short visit with your daughter and her husband. Quality vs quantity!

Robin: Sounds like you had a very busy day, indeed.

Kat: Glad you are getting a cool down. The $8 rotisserie chicken costs around the same as it does here in my market. Enjoy the poke salad.

Wishing all a pleasant Saturday afternoon/evening.

1694289392378.jpeg

Glad to see some of you checking in. I've stayed busy, mostly trying to get some clutter tamed. My niece brought the tractor with hay spikes over to my haylot this morning to move the big bales into the lot when they were/are delivered. (some this morning, more tomorrow). I had to take her home.

Then I've been in the kitchen, cooked a little, washed up some dishes--still have some to go. Cleaned a bunch of food scraps out of the refrigerator and carried them off. Hung my rain gauge, in case it starts to rain one of these days. Mine is unusual, shaped like a hollow unopened book, but hard plastic, open at the top. I'd had it hanging on the deck rails but my deck rails are falling apart (another story) so the rain gauge had come down long ago and now I had to put it in a different place. Went to use my little electric drill and I guess it has died. It's old and I've used it a lot over the years. It tried to go, then just played out and won't even try. So I had to put in the screws to hold the gauge into the wood the old-fashioned way, with a hand-held screwdriver. Got them in far enough to hold but the hot sun drove me back inside. Will finish when it's cooler. It's 102* right now.

my youngest, (a son) was here today, left very early this a.m. for the 3 hr drive here, pulling his trailer. Had to get his brother's belongings out of the assisted living place here, as older son now in VA nursing home, which happens to be near younger son., so he can visit more. Anyway, now my garage is home to the items, until we either sell, donate, or give away. Trouble is there a few very expensive items, furnished by the VA, who said they did not want them back, despite them being just a month or two used! One being a bed with all sorts of bells & whistles, remote to raise head, foot, etc. cost $4000. And then a wheel chair, as the VA hospital did not want it, has their own. I just notice there is a TV as well.......lots of other stuff. We'll see. Youngest son hurt his back carrying and moving things alone. His friend who was to help him, had dropped something on his foot at work, broken toes, fractured foot.......so......no help. I hope he will be able to work come Monday, job is important.
It was overcast & gloomy this a.m. but sun came out. High was 75, but then it got overcast & gloomy again around 3:30, looks like it might rain eventually, who knows. I was to do laundry today, never was able. Sigghhh. It's piling up. >LOL

Take care all, enjoy the evening.

Poirot, I'm glad your youngest son is able to take care of his brother. That's weird the VA doesn't want their
furniture back. Can't your son use at the new place? I'm sure there are a lot of people who can use
the things.

The new place is a VA nursing home, they said they have their own there........

It's too bad the government can't send to another hospital that might need it

Poirot, If there's any of it you want to donate, regular nursing homes are often in need of such things. Also, home health people might know individuals who have needs. I gave Steve's wheelchair and some other things to the nursing home. But then you might be able to sell some of it too. I hope younger son's back will be okay.

Back