Abby/Ben/Chad somewhat parallels an 80's storyline

Just Samantha

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It just hit me that the Abby/Ben/Chad storyline somewhat parallels the 80's storyline of Jessica/Jake/Joshua.

Back then, Jessica was dating both Jake and Joshua. Jessica and Jake became engaged, but she was still good friends with Joshua. The Salem Strangler was running around killing women (one of whom was Marlena's twin, Samantha). Joshua was accused, due to being framed. Eventually it turned out Jake was the strangler. He had been framing Joshua.

Roman killed Jake and eventually Jessica and Joshua got married.

This time, Abby was torn between Ben and Chad. She and Ben became engaged, but she's still friends with Chad. Now the Salem Strangler 2.0 is killing women and framing Chad. Today's episode showed that apparently Ben is the strangler. And, this time around, Marlena was attacked.

Just thought it was interesting that the storylines are similar (other than Abby being pregnant, whereas Jessica wasn't).

I'm hoping there's another twist, but it sure does parallel that. Maybe the spawn of Abby and Chad (as I assume the paternity will be 'fixed' once Ben is outed as the killer) can come to Salem in 20 years as a nerdy scientist who murders a sleazy rapist and then becomes a blackmailing homophobic pig. :wink:

JS, now that is an interesting parallel. I'm not thoroughly convinced that Ben will be the ultimate killer, but if he is I'm hoping for a little more meat. I don't want Ben's motive to be something incredibly lame/stupid like "Oh gee, Abigail doesn't love me, so I'm going to go out and kill innocent people." Hopefully Dena Higley and all will find a way to link Caroline's illness, the Necktie Killer, Bo's captivity and John's search for his real identity into one huge umbrella storyline.

Back