Abby's room

maruuac

Reaction score
As a mental health professional, I can see once again that research was NOT done when they showed Abby in her room in the psych ward. So many red flags. There would NEVER be a lamp with a cord, let alone a glass bulb in that room. Her gown would never have a string tie, no window dressings with cords and the hospital bed would also not have a cord. She would never be locked in her room unless she she was a danger to others or staff and even then, she would be closely monitored. This is what gives mental health units a bad name. The room was nice enough, just not accurate. And may I suggest that Jennifer take a room down the hall for substance abuse treatment?

This is the same show that had heart transplant Brady easily walking down to Eric's hospital room the day after his surgery. And Jennifer, a few days after her heart was reinserted, bopping around the hospital in full hair and make-up, pushing Parker in his carriage so Daniel and Chloe could talk.

Days used to have a medical consultant, which they have not had for some time now. Their operating room is the size of a postage stamp, with usually only one other person there, (nurse), and anyone can come and go all over the hospital wherever they like. So many have no one they are visiting, yet are coming, having coffee, chatting up each other at the nurses' station.

I just got surprised at the glass door, even with blinds.

As to being locked in, surprised me, except that Abby had been talking about wanting to just go home, so perhaps was for her own safety???

And having visited someone in a psych ward, this was appalling, and nothing at all like what I saw. I think the only locked door was the one that gave one entrance & exit from that section of the hospital??

Almost every psych ward is a locked unit. This is for exactly the reason you mentioned Poirot. People who are in a psych unit "never" want to be there and often times think that they do not have a problem. It is usually because their families hate them, they are misunderstood or "it's my #$^@# life! Why don't people leave me the $#^$% alone!" I've heard it all.

The patients are often times lied to and told "you are just going to see the doctor and then you can leave." This is just to get them to the unit. After that, it is the nurse who is lashed out at by the patient because they were lied to. It is now up to the nurse to gain some level of trust with the patient and this is no easy task. What drew my attention was the male nurse/tech standing with the nurse. He looked a little suspect to me.

I could have looked at this the wrong way but there is no reason that the female nurse couldn't have handled Abby all by herself. The other thing that I felt was wrong was that the nurse made no attempt to calm Abby or comfort her in any way. The dialogue was very abrupt and borderline argumentative. This is not how you want to gain a patient's trust.

Once had a room right outside of the locked door that opened onto the windowed hallway that led to the psych unit (I took that as a warning! :eek:.) Patients of that ward were allowed to use that hallway as a smoking lounge. One day, the fire alarms on the entire floor went off (thankfully not during the night,) with all the accompanying confusion (including evacuation preparations.) Fortunately, there was no apparent damage to people or building. I hope my smoking neighbors were appropriately grounded by their parents!

I too thought it was very strange that her window had blinds with a cord on them hanging in the inside. My first thought was that when she saw Ben, her mind was going to have her strangle herself with that cord. Agreed that the nurse (with the strange assistant) was really scary.

Now on the other hand, Marlena would not have suggested that place if it was not good.

Aside from what everyone has mentioned so far, I found the whole scenes pretty strange, really. Granted, I haven't been to a psych ward. Still, I don't know that one waits that long in a waiting room, having time to panic like poor Abby did. And later, all these patients in hospital gowns ? But mostly, I thought Abby was absolutely right when she said she didn't sign over all her rights. Was it that bad that she wanted to talk to her husband before going to bed ?

Again, I'm not expert, but since Abby is not there for substance abuse or something of that kind, but for PTSD, I would think that being reassured is what she needs. And if she couldn't talk to Chad, why did the nurse immediately brought up drugs, instead of calming Abigail ? And that goon did not help. I get that it's for the staff's protection, still. He could've been just outside the door, not be so menacing.

And lastly, when Abigail was yelling for help after her nightmare, nobody was around, while poor Abby was locked in ? Where was the staff then ? She could've hurt herself, and all that did was bring on more panic, I think. Really, I hated the whole thing. Well, except for the great acting, of course, by the actors playing Abby and Chad. Oh, that man brought tears to my eyes. Bravo !

Almost every psych ward is a locked unit. This is for exactly the reason you mentioned Poirot. People who are in a psych unit "never" want to be there and often times think that they do not have a problem. It is usually because their families hate them, they are misunderstood or "it's my #$^@# life! Why don't people leave me the $#^$% alone!" I've heard it all.

The patients are often times lied to and told "you are just going to see the doctor and then you can leave." This is just to get them to the unit. After that, it is the nurse who is lashed out at by the patient because they were lied to. It is now up to the nurse to gain some level of trust with the patient and this is no easy task. What drew my attention was the male nurse/tech standing with the nurse. He looked a little suspect to me.

I could have looked at this the wrong way but there is no reason that the female nurse couldn't have handled Abby all by herself. The other thing that I felt was wrong was that the nurse made no attempt to calm Abby or comfort her in any way. The dialogue was very abrupt and borderline argumentative. This is not how you want to gain a patient's trust.

Too bad Salem is not in Maryland, you could report them to me, State Dept of Health and Mental Hygiene.

No coffee in the psych ward Jason!! lol! Well..maybe decaf. Our unit has audio/visual cameras. Staff can see patients on camera no matter where they are with the exception of the bathroom. The reason Abby couldn't talk to Chad was because they did not want her to become agitated before going to bed. They also wanted her to know that this is a controlled environment and throwing your name around is not going to help you. They want her to settle down and get used to the new rules and staff.

I use this time to actually go in and sit with our patients and treat them as I would want to be treated. It is so important to develop trust with these patients. They feel lost and alone. Sometimes just having a listening ear or a hug means a lot.

But mostly, I thought Abby was absolutely right when she said she didn't sign over all her rights.

I don't know what was in the paperwork Abby signed, but she apparently admitted herself to the psych ward. I would think she could leave of her own will, too, unless she is determined to be a danger to herself or others. She hasn't even had an evaluation by a psychiatrist, yet.

Abby cannot leave on her own. The staff can file a petition with the court to keep her there until she sees a psychiatrist. If staff deems her a danger to herself or others, the judge will rule in favor of the hospital. Staff can request a 48 hour hold be placed on the patient. After the 48 hours is up and she is deemed to require more extensive treatment, a court order converting her from outpatient status to inpatient status will take place. There are all kinds of checks and balances in place for psych patients.

@TheWriter, I think most rehabs don't permit phone calls. Patient's significant others tend to pillow talk them into wanting to go home. These significant others are almost always working against their own (long-term) best interest. :rolleyes: I have seen the same principle shorten hunting trips. :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I can accept that about phone calls. I thought there was a reason. But then, if Abby couldn't call, again, the nurse could have tried to talk to her, to explain things, calm her. Not be menacing, with the goon at her side, and immediately go to the drugs to help Abby relax. There was no dialogue, nothing, just meds.

No coffee in the psych ward Jason!! lol! Well..maybe decaf. Our unit has audio/visual cameras. Staff can see patients on camera no matter where they are with the exception of the bathroom. The reason Abby couldn't talk to Chad was because they did not want her to become agitated before going to bed. They also wanted her to know that this is a controlled environment and throwing your name around is not going to help you. They want her to settle down and get used to the new rules and staff.

I use this time to actually go in and sit with our patients and treat them as I would want to be treated. It is so important to develop trust with these patients. They feel lost and alone. Sometimes just having a listening ear or a hug means a lot.

Bless your heart. You are a good person.

Abby cannot leave on her own. The staff can file a petition with the court to keep her there until she sees a psychiatrist.

This is very personal, but I self-admitted to a psych ward once, realized it was not what I expected and left. I drove myself there and home. I did have to see the psychiatrist first and that took a few hours.

Thanks TamiBelle. Not all days are easy but we try to make it as comfortable as possible for our patients. It can be a thankless job at times.

Ktspirit- I am glad that everything worked out for you. I wish that the stigma of mental health would go away. People think nothing of treating their diabetes, high blood pressure or cancer, but many are judged because they take anti-depressants or other psych medications. When I talk to my patients, I point to my head and tell them that "this controls everything. If this isn't ok, then anything below the neck does not matter."

Our brain controls every aspect of our life. I can tell you, my life would have been a lot different had there been anti-depressants for my father when I was growing up. We walked on eggshells all the time and couldn't have friends over. This is what made me know that I wanted to do something in behavioral care. Ktspirit- thank you for sharing something so personal to you. (((hugs))).

Back