About the advertisements...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne

WebHamster
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A member or two (as well as a Poirot) recently asked me about the advertisements being displayed on the site. Some reported seeing ads which were... well... not exactly objectionable, but certainly questionable. Their question was -- in essence -- "can't you keep them from coming up?" The answer isn't quite an easy black-and-white or yes/no but let me try to explain why.. In order to support this Web site's hosting and other fees (like software upgrades), we run Google's Adsense program. This works for us and is a LOT more "guilt-free" than begging you guys for donations every month...

So.. Why the "bad" ads?

Several years ago, Google ads used to display advertisements based solely on the content of the page you were viewing. They did this by reading something in the site's HTML code called a "META tag" and "META description". This works great if you happen to be viewing a generic site like one concentrating on car parts, or gaming because there are a LOT of those type of advertisers.

Now though, Google's grown up a bit and combines a bit of "contextual ads" (based on the site) with what they see as your own "browsing and search history". In other words, it tries to figure out what YOU are interested in by displaying advertisements based on other sites you've visited.

For example, recently I made the mistake of visiting a "fine furniture clearance" site called One King's Lane (DON'T make that mistake unless you want to get spammed). Now, about 40% of the ads I see are not only One King's Lane ads, but they contain links to the few items I viewed on their site during the 5 minutes I was there. Other people might see advertisements based on Weight Watchers, or TV shows, or... whatever Google can tempt you with.

So.. Ummm... Why the "bad" ads?

Here's the rub. The "gotcha". The "catch-22".

When you get a new computer, or whenever you clear your browser's cache and browsing history, Google ads don't have anything to go by. This is both a blessing and a curse, as deleting that stuff is definitely good for security, but it means you might get ads that have NOTHING to do with your interests. Advertisements, as long as they aren't annoying, aren't a bad thing and can actually lead to discovery of new interests.

Heck, even *I* have seen a couple of ads for WW cookbooks and such that I want to follow.

In the end, I technically *can* try to block specific adverts if I know the URL. Since I don't SEE those ads however, there's no way for me to know what you're seeing. If you see an advertisement that you find objectionable, let me know the URL or site in question but PLEASE understand that it has little to do with the SalemSpectator.com, and it's certainly not something that we endorse.

So-called "Personal History Ads" are just based on your own personal habits. If you browse naughty sites, you might get naughty ads, so... Stop that before you go blind...

:rotfl:

Wayne

It's always the "carrying on" that'll getcha! wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more...!

The same thing hapoened to my daughter when she was looking for soccer cleats. my husbanfd and I couldnt move the mouse fast enough.. She never forgot

Another reason I'm happy to have a phone and not a computer...no ads!!!

Doesn't work too well for those whose vision is not the best........tooooo small. LOL

"Big Brother" is getting annoying. I browse my book club store just casually, the next thing I know I get emails from the club asking "to take another look" or still interested? I feel spied on.

@soaphead

Yeah, I can commiserate, but in our case advertisements are a necessary. To be honest, if I've got to display ads I'd rather see ads about things I'm even remotely interested in. The whole "Kings Lane" advertisement thing is getting annoying though.

You won't believe this, but just this morning, got a newletter e-mail telling HOW to get rid of those annoying google tracking ads. rather involved, and talks of going in and deleting your browsing history, but I think you could probably find the "cookie" of the most annoying ads. Want to laugh, I went purposely over to Amazon, Kohls, a couple car places, browsed around those spots a bit, so now the ads that really got me cranky are definitely at a minimum. Still don't know why I get them at all. LOL

Will be trying to get my printer to work today.

You got a new computer, therefore -- as explained -- you started off with a blank canvas.

@soaphead

Yeah, I can commiserate, but in our case advertisements are a necessary. .
Wayne I didn't mean the ads here lol they don't bother me. On the other board they got rather funny. Because they would say something about Salem or a characters name from Days in the ad.

I meant when I browse for an example, a bookclub ,I look at a book... just to see what its about, because it has a strange title then get an email from the club the same day or the next asking me if I am still interested. I didn't realize bookclubs did that .Its just weird to me. I haven't seen the Kings lane...I may now after I typed it :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back